• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee pro 1000 info needed

kickinneon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2008
Eastern kentucky
I'm going to start reloading for my 9mm. I was wonder if any of you are using the lee pro 1000 and what your thoughts are on it.

Thanks for any help

Re: Lee pro 1000 info needed

That's what I bought for my first press when I started shooting a lot of 9mm. I wouldn't get the bullet feeder option. It worked great at first but was useless before very long. I've heard of others with the same problem. I've loaded 12k rounds on it so far. Lee support is good. There is a bead chain used on the powder dispenser. It will break. Just get some at the hardware store and keep it handy.

Many will say it's not the best. Probably isn't, but it works if you're on a budget and don't mind a bit of tinkering now and again.

They work just fine. I used one for years in 44mag and 45acp. It will act up from time to time so you will need to have just a little bit of mechanical ability to keep it running but that's it. My issue with the Pro 1000, I wish they had four stations so you could use a roll crimp or taper die without having to run every singe round back through.

This may be a little off topic but I load on the Loadmaster. It is a little more (about $90) but it is a five station press. Station 1 size and deprime, 2 prime, 3 flare and powder, 4 seat, 5 crimp (if you want). It may be more than you want to spend but I've used mine for a few years but the only problems I had were in my first batch getting everything set up. I think gmbjr may be refering to lube and adjusting once in a while to keep things running smooth. Same powder set up as the 1000. I realize that it may be more than you want to spend but I thought I would throw it out there as an option.

Pro1000 is great get the case collater. The bullet feed sucks.
The weak point is the primer system. Keep the primer tray full and the chute clean and you'll be good to go.

Mine wore out after about 15000 rounds of 45. But for the 90$ it cost it was well worth it.

I had a Lee Pro 1000 for several years. In the last year I finally upgraded to a Dillon 650, but for years the Lee served me well. With it I reloaded over 20000 rounds in calibers 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 40 S&W, 10mm, 45 ACP, 44 Mag and 223 Rem. If you can't afford a Dillon (and all the expensive Dillon assessories and caliber conversions), the Lee represents a good value. BUT - you need to understand its shortcomings and be ready and able to deal with them. Here's the main shortcomings of the Lee which drive people crazy:

1) The primer system sucks. The primers slide down a plastic chute and if any powder, dust or specks of dirt get into the chute, the primers stop sliding down. The primers at the bottom of the chute need the weight of primers above to properly align with the round being primed. Bottom line: You need to keep an eye on the primer system CONSTANTLY, making sure the chute stays full and the primers keep moving.

2) The entire press is made of cheap pot metal and plastic. It's nothing like the high quality of a Dillon or the Hornady Lock N Load AP. Stuff breaks. However - I bought my Lee from Midway and both Midway and Lee customer support is excellent. I've had replacement parts mailed to me at no charge and no questions asked. Now don't worry - I got a lot of usage out of my press before any one part broke, just be prepared when and if something does break.

3) The auto-indexing system is a little touchy. There is an adjustment screw in the bottom of the press that you have to tweak every time you change calibers. Not difficult, just be aware of it.

4) The press comes with small or large primer system depending on caliber, but not both (unlike the Dillon which includes both systems). Not a big deal -- just order the primer system part that you need as a spare (assuming you want to reload with both small and large primers).

5) There's only 3 stations on the press, so the final station does both bullet seating AND crimping with the same die. This can be tricky to get set properly, and on some calibers leads to crushed cases if you're doing a heavy crimp and you have variations in case length. The Dillon and Hornady are superior because seating and crimping are done on different stations with different dies.

MOST OF ALL YOU NEED PATIENCE! If you get frustrated easily, the Lee isn't for you. I have a friend who bought a Lee Loadmaster and ended up tossing it because of the idiosyncrasies (he's an impatient type). But if you're patient, methodical, and don't mind toying with the press when it misbehaves, then you can save a lot of money.

I am glad to see alot of you ARENT bashing the lee press, i have loaded .45, 9mm, .357, .38, .223 and .40 on the pro 1000 for over 17 years...

are ther better presses.. hell yes. are these better presses more expensive... hells yesssssss..

the pro 1000 is a good value, but just like everyone else here said already, KEEP THE PRIMER CHUTE CLEAN!!!!! it is the worst part of the press.. one of those little cans of air for dusting computer keyboards can be your best friend. blow out the primer chute frequently and you will be running smooth with no problems!!!

also, a little powered graphite lube applied with a q-tip to the chute will help..

yes, i would love to have a dillon or a hornady l-n-l, but i stick with my pro 1000 and my lee challenger and shoot more with the money i saved!!! go slow, take your time, and have patience and you will make lots of ammo..

A tip regarding the primer chute. Once the last primer is out of the round primer holder and is in the chute, put 30-40 more in the primer holder to provide constant back pressure for those in the single file feed portion.

If you have extra primers in the single file portion when you are done, I just use a little nail in the slot to push them back up and out.

+1 on the case collator. It works great and will save you time. It holds 100 9mm cases.

Thanks for all of your guys help on it. I forgot about even making this post until I looked at the post it had made.

I think I may give it a try for now and start saving for a bigger/better one in the furture if needed.

Thanks for the help/reviews.