• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press Kit 223 Remington

beazzer78

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2010
SC, USA
Is this a good reloader for the money., if you are looking to load alot at one time. Midway USA has it for 143.99

Re: Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press Kit 223 Remington

In years past when I was shooting IPSC I went through 5 Lee Pro 1000s. The work OK for 38 special or 9mm. 223 or 45acp puts too much strain on the cast aluminum / pot metal linkage and stress points. I finally gave away the last one a few weeks ago. If you want a progressive, get a Dillon. It's a better grade of aluminum and made heavier. The Dillon XL650 I have has out worked the Lees 25:1 If you're looking for decent quality for a decent price, look for a used RCBS RockChucker or Redding Big Boss or Big Boss 2. Lee makes a wonderful priming tool and some well made hand tools. But of the total of 6 or 8 Lee presses I have had over the years, NONE were a fourth as good as anything RCBS, Redding or Dillon.

Just another place where you get what you pay for.

Save your pennies for a Dillon, or if you just can't wait the RockChucker. I started with a Lee and wish I would have saved and bought one press.

I'm not as stubborn as Victor. I gave up after one.

You get what you pay for. Had a guy at work tell me to buy a Dillon also. Might have to try one. I will be loading for 308 and 7mm08 also.

I might even load for my hand guns at some point.

For pistol rounds and your budget is limited, the Pro 1000 is fine. I load 40SW and 45ACP on mine. I load anywhere from 200 - 500 rounds in a session. The key is to get the dies set up right and then stick with a routine.

However for rifle rounds, I load on a single stage. I load .223 and .308 on a Lee Challenger press.