• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Left bolt right ejection

MangoFett

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2018
Missouri
What options are out there for this combination? I did a quick google of the first half dozen makers I could think of and didnt see anything too clearly listed that this combo was available. It seems like right bolt is commonly offered in left or right eject but not left handed right eject.

I know it's weird but I've shot "wrong" my entire life and now for about 4 seasons of prs and while shooting a standard right handed action as a lefty is do-able I'm at a disadvantage on a lot of stages since I have to take my hand that is supporting the front of the rifle off the rifle or structure so I can cycle the bolt. For this reason I really need to cycle the bolt with the correct hand but I'm also use to having the port right there on the right side so me being a weirdo I'd like to keep the port on that side.

Bighorn will don it to a TL-3. Usually that’s a benchrest thing though, and you see it from those makers, like Bat and Stiller.

Reactions: vigildom7
A good friend had a right bolt/left port Defiance and it was awesome to watch it in action and to personally shoot it.

Opposite ejection port makes a lot of sense and once I witnessed it in action and used it I was a big fan.

I have no beef with Bighorn and they seem to make awesome products. Their spec and documentation process is amazing.

I have talked with Defiance many, many times and it seems as if they have thought of most anything a person can reasonably and have an offering/solution/custom modification even if it's not listed anywhere.

I’ve shot a Bighorn right bolt-left eject. At first a little strange, but actually quite nice being able to visualize the round entering the chamber, especially with a round like the Dasher/BR variants.

I’ve shot a Bighorn right bolt-left eject. At first a little strange, but actually quite nice being able to visualize the round entering the chamber, especially with a round like the Dasher/BR variants.

This exactly is why I don't want to leave from the right side port. It's great on stages if you ever have an issue.

Reactions: GONE BAD
I was pretty much in the same mindset as you, left handed and always shot right handed bolt guns.

I called Savage custom shop and talked to them about the possibility of doing this for me.

Short answer; "No Problem".

IMG_20191127_070846508.jpg

I'd rather have the ejection port facing away from me if something catastrophic happens. Even blowing a primer or a case head seperation the gasses are vented away from my face. I'll stick to left hand bolt, left hand ejection.

I always hear this! But I've shot right hand gun all my life and being lift handed I pretty much figured out this is bullshit!

A left bolt and right port is really nice in matches!

I have 2 of the bighorn TL3 left bolt right port actions. They are awesome. The big advantages are being able to single feed incredibly fast with the support hand, being able to clear feeding or ejecting malfunctions fast, and being able to see what is going on in the action without changing your shooting position. The only downside I know of is that if there is a catastrophic malfunction the safety of the shooter can be slightly more compromised by parts or gasses being expelled through the ejection port towards the face. I have popped primers on my Bighorn TL3 and not even known it because the design does an excellent job of venting gasses away from the shooter. There is a baffle behind the bolt head that blocks debris from coming out the raceway.

Order a LBRP TL3 and you won't be disappointed.

I always hear this! But I've shot right hand gun all my life and being lift handed I pretty much figured out this is bullshit!

A left bolt and right port is really nice in matches!

Until it's not.

Until it's not.

"What if's" are always on the list.
This one is really, really low on the list!
Think about it. Would a licensed firearms manufacturer really produce a product like this if it posed a UNSAFE SITUATION?!

I suspect Kelby would do this but I have not checked. They were early on the match rifle actions with RBLP and others.

I'd rather have the ejection port facing away from me if something catastrophic happens. Even blowing a primer or a case head seperation the gasses are vented away from my face. I'll stick to left hand bolt, left hand ejection.

Note to MD's:
Weak side stages are NO LONGER allowed in our matches due to "Something Might Go Wrong!"

always wondered why they did not make bolts with top ejection ports like the old Henry rifles hot brass to the forehead maybe .

"What if's" are always on the list.
This one is really, really low on the list!
Think about it. Would a licensed firearms manufacturer really produce a product like this if it posed a UNSAFE SITUATION?!

Not to mention all right hand bolt actions and semi autos would come with warnings that they are not supposed to be used left handed.

Reactions: GONE BAD
What options are out there for this combination? I did a quick google of the first half dozen makers I could think of and didnt see anything too clearly listed that this combo was available. It seems like right bolt is commonly offered in left or right eject but not left handed right eject.

I have left bolt, right port actions from BAT, Nesika Bay, Barnard & Borden.

-Rick

Reactions: MangoFett
Would be awesome to hear @LongRifles Inc. Chime in on this topic. Most likely gonna use him when i decide to do a dedicated 223 rig. And right bolt left eject always interested me.