• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Left Hand .223 Bolt Action

Packfan

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2021
Reno, NV
Looking for a .223 left hand bolt action. It will be a practice and fun gun. I am finding they are pretty scarce. Not many are made and none are stocked anywhere I can see.

My options appear to be:
  • Tikka CTR - It looks like Beretta may finally be importing these and Eurooptic has them listed on their website. The model JRTXC414R8L fits the bill with a 1 in 8, 24 inch barrel. I called and they have 20 on order and are available to back order, but there is no estimated time of delivery and I would have to pay in full up front at $1,048.00.
  • Tikka Tac A1- Tikka recently added a .223 option and there is a model on the Tikka website with a 24 inch barrel. This is at the top of my budget at $1,800.00 or so, but I may call Eurooptic again to check on availability as it is not listed on their site.
  • Remington 700 action/rifle- The SPS Varmint LH is discontinued, but I may be able to find one used. I think they may have a 1 in 12 twist barrel which is not ideal though.
  • Custom Build- This will exceed my budget. The most affordable and (somewhat) available option looks like using a Bighorn Origin action, barrel of choice, and a KRG Bravo left hand stock. Keystone Accuracy lists the Origin with a Green Mountain button rifled barrel for $1,285.00. Plan on $2,000.00+.
  • Savage- This could be a last resort as there are a number out there, but I am not a fan.
Am I missing anything? Any thoughts on the above options?

well hello fellow lefty, kinda in the same boat. if you can swing it. id go with the Terminus Zeus short action qc barrel and .223 bolt. a krg bravo stock. and talk to bugholes about a barrel. Joel with Terminus has been great! I ordered the long action and I love it!

other than that Id go for the tikka tac or search gunbroker or guns international for the lefty remington. but beware prices can be insane and good priced items dont last long.

does a bravo even come lefty?

i'd think you'd want to upgrade the CTR stock either way

might not be that hard to find a used origin/nucleus in the PX

Thanks guys.

It looks like the Terminus Zeus is more than I am looking to spend at $1,425.00 for the action alone. Looks like an awesome action though.

The Bravo comes in a lefty for Remington pattern actions only- no Tikka. If I go with the CTR, I was hoping to get by with the standard stock (at least for a while), but a chassis will be tempting.

Used left hand actions in any flavor are scarce, so it will take some patience for that option.

It looks like both actions on the PX are already gone.

If I am going to do a custom, I will probably do a Bighorn Origin to keep the $$ down. Does anyone have any experience with Keystone Accuracy? And Green Mountain barrels?

It looks like both actions on the PX are already gone.

If I am going to do a custom, I will probably do a Bighorn Origin to keep the $$ down. Does anyone have any experience with Keystone Accuracy? And Green Mountain barrels?
@padom has a lot

he makes shooters. and green mountain barrels certainly work well for their price point

The Savage will work but as my son states, they will miss a magazine pickup from time to time. His next left hand action will likely be TL3 because he can use his 6GT barrel that he used on a custom Savage. His biggest dislike is safety which is a pain to activate.

Was discussing on another thread, but I thought I would update here, as well. As the Tikka's don't appear to be available anytime soon, I am moving on the custom build option.

Picked up an MPA left hand Hybrid chassis in OD Green from Europtic (on sale for $799.99) and got a Triggertech Special for 20% off on their Black Friday sale, so the ship has sailed!

Now on to the barreled action. Still planning on the Bighorn Origin, but Keystone is waiting for .223 barrels, so I need to find a barrel unless I want to wait. BugHoles has a Rock Creek (.224, 1 in 7, Remington Varmint contour) for $335.00. I had a similar Rock Creek in .308 on an old Remington action a while back and it was a great shooter. What do you guys think of current Rock Creeks? Close enough to Bartlein or Krieger which are more expensive options?

Any feedback on the Rock Creek cut rifled barrels? BugHoles has them in stock, but I would like to have Keystone do the chambering work.

Any feedback on the Rock Creek cut rifled barrels? BugHoles has them in stock, but I would like to have Keystone do the chambering work.
PVA used them for a long time. they're fine and if it's available then great

PVA used them for a long time. they're fine and if it's available then great
Thanks. I know PVA gets good reviews. It looks like they have an option for button or cut rifled on their site. I won't get into that debate, but the Rock Creek I am looking at is cut rifled.

Now I need to decide on the length- 24 or 26 inch, and muzzle threads or not. As it is a .223, I don't think I will put a brake on it, but I will probably have it threaded anyway.

Looking for a .223 left hand bolt action. It will be a practice and fun gun. I am finding they are pretty scarce. Not many are made and none are stocked anywhere I can see.

My options appear to be:
  • Tikka CTR - It looks like Beretta may finally be importing these and Eurooptic has them listed on their website. The model JRTXC414R8L fits the bill with a 1 in 8, 24 inch barrel. I called and they have 20 on order and are available to back order, but there is no estimated time of delivery and I would have to pay in full up front at $1,048.00.
  • Tikka Tac A1- Tikka recently added a .223 option and there is a model on the Tikka website with a 24 inch barrel. This is at the top of my budget at $1,800.00 or so, but I may call Eurooptic again to check on availability as it is not listed on their site.
  • Remington 700 action/rifle- The SPS Varmint LH is discontinued, but I may be able to find one used. I think they may have a 1 in 12 twist barrel which is not ideal though.
  • Custom Build- This will exceed my budget. The most affordable and (somewhat) available option looks like using a Bighorn Origin action, barrel of choice, and a KRG Bravo left hand stock. Keystone Accuracy lists the Origin with a Green Mountain button rifled barrel for $1,285.00. Plan on $2,000.00+.
  • Savage- This could be a last resort as there are a number out there, but I am not a fan.
Am I missing anything? Any thoughts on the above options?
I bought a used Remington 700 with the 5R barrel and a Timeny trigger someone put in.. I couldnt get it to group worth a crap until some here told me to quit using 55 and 62 grain military ammo. I bought some 75 grain Hornady and it went to cloverleafs. Shot at a buddy's last sunday and in a gusting 15-20 mph full crosswind was hitting a 3" swinger through weeds at 100 easily and went out to 300 yds til the wind go too bad. I think I paid about $900 and it came with a brake. Sweet little rifle that wont break the bank. Generic photos

1649476759464.jpeg

GetImage.ashx