• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Left hand AR 15

Grott

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2012
Northern Michigan
Well I'm looking to build my first AR and as things go I shoot lefty.

Due to everyone being back logged since the election, I have some time what should I be looking for.

This will be a hunting/paper punching rig and I would like to stay around 18-20".

What are my options for a true lefty? DPMS and Stag are what I've found so far.

Do I need forward assist? or is slick side OK.

If I understand the mechanics correctly I think I want a rifle length gas system for smoother operation and less abrupt recoil allowing quick followup shots.

I do want a lefty rig as the gas blowback gets old shooting a right hand rig.

Is it better to start with a donor rifle and part it out and re build or do I build up from parts?

Good vendors?

Thanks for the help

Re: Left hand AR 15

IMHO a standard RH AR is fine for a lefty, if not better. The only things to add are an ambi selector and mag catch.

I like Battle Arms selectors and Norgon mag catches.

Are RR lefty parts interchangeable with other AR's, local guy guy said they were proprietary?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RagnarDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO a standard RH AR is fine for a lefty, if not better. The only things to add are an ambi selector and mag catch.

I like Battle Arms selectors and Norgon mag catches. </div></div>

Couldn't agree more... I have two specific problems with left handed models.

1. Parts interchangeability is lost in the bolt group.

2. The dust cover opens up on some models. Certain optic mounts will prevent it from opening to a "clean" position.

Im a lefty too.....IMHO a Left hand specific upper is a waste of time....I mean, with the brass deflector why do you need a Lefty receiver anymore? besides, having the ejection port on the right side allows you to always be in a position to check for a malfunction physically (eyes).

slap an ambi safety on the gun and shoot the shit outta it (I dont even use an ambi safety)

I have a rock river operator in left hand, shoots like a dream. I would find a rock on before I built one, you come out the same price and it has some
Value. Finding the lefty bolt would be harder than the upper
51b7b2b5.jpg

Not to mention if you ever want to sell it your going to have a much tougher time finding a buyer.

<----Left Handed shoot who only owns Right Handed ARs.

I'm also a southpaw, The only reason I can come up with to not own a LH AR would be... ok, so I can't think of one.

I have 2 Stags: 5.56 & 6.8SPC these are LH

I also have an Alexander Arms in .50Beowulf & a DPMS LR-243. These are both RH & work just fine.

I find that the brass kicking across my field of view is distracting, an issue? Not really, but distracting none the less. If you want a LH AR then buy one. If the dust cover gets in the way, take the damn thing off. For ME these are toys, not life & death decision makers.

t

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G-rott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Who SELLS guns? </div></div>

Why <span style="font-weight: bold">wouldn't</span> you sell a gun? If you no longer have an interest in it or it simply has no purpose in your collection any more then liquidate it and spend the money on something else.
confused.gif

I shot right handed AR's for years. I recently got a LH AR from Specialized Dynamics built on a Stag Upper with the SD lower. It's a slick side / side charging handle and I wouldn't trade it for the world now. I have some custom built rifles but had only ever owned production AR's until this one from Specialized Dynamics. This thing is amazingly accurate right out of the case and shoots super smooth.

You will notice the SD banner in my signature line and here is why it's there. I had the opportunity to check out the SD rifles at the Predator Master Convention last year and was impressed with the quality of work. I was looking for an AR and several people had them and recommended them. My contest hunting partner ended up buying one and it shot great. A good friends wife was looking to get him a rifle for their anniversary and asked me to help out. He was looking for a 6.5 Grendel on an AR chassis. I called Scott and asked him what he could do and he was able to help out on short notice due to the circumstances. Scott went above and beyond on this deal. He was leaving town and traveling through the area and delivered the rifle! After shooting both of these rifles and dealing with Scott I made a deal with him on an AR for myself.

I had an issue with mine one day while shooting where the rifle would not fire. I sent Scott an email figuring I would hear from him Monday since this was early evening Friday. Scott called me shortly after the email I sent. He walked me through fixing the problem over the phone and computer for illustrations. I had changed the grip out and in doing so the grip bolt was longer and had turned the adjustment screw on the Jard trigger. This whole incident was created by me but quickly resolved by Scott.

The rifles are built with quality parts and expert knowledge. These things are crazy accurate at a price that isn't way up there. Scott's customer service has been fantastic and coupled with the quality of the rifle I am a satisfied customer, hence the banner in my signature.

Brian

95facebook95134392681895.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G-rott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TJ

What model Stag to you have in 5.56?
How do you like the 6.8SPC?

Garett </div></div>

The 5.56 is the 3L if my memory recalls correctly.

The 6.8 is more expensive to feed (of course) but I'm happy with it, shoots well, doesn't jam hits harder than the 5.56.. what's not to like?

t

Sure, you don't NEED a left handed AR, but when you shoot one it just feels better than shooting a right handed AR. I have a left handed 6.8 Stag on order that should be coming in any day now, and I can't wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RagnarDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO a standard RH AR is fine for a lefty, if not better. The only things to add are an ambi selector and mag catch.

I like Battle Arms selectors and Norgon mag catches. </div></div>

Agree also. I shoot lefty, and have 2 right handed AR's. I have ambi Charging handles and safety levers on the.

Its actually more useful that way, I can shoot from either side as shooting conditions dictate.

BMT

I got my LH upper in a group buy.
With RRA now in the fray, thing look very good for LH folks.
Allot of LH folks use righties. My question is, Why just settle for what the crowd tells you to get when a better open is out there at the same price or just a few dollars more.
Then again maybe it's just me? I'm more of a wolf than a sheep.

For my next upper I will probably go with RRA or Stag.

I have a Stag lefty and would buy another before any of the other choices. That said I think a righty or lefty should be ambi no matter what.

Are lower parts interchangeable on the RRA's?

Are there any vendors on the Hide that have lefty uppers?

I'm having a hard time finding any one with any stock in LH.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Acc371</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Allot of LH folks use righties. My question is, Why just settle for what the crowd tells you to get when a better open is out there at the same price or just a few dollars more.
</div></div>

What about lefty AR's makes them better though? The Stag ones don't have a left side magazine release. The RRA has an ambi mag release but it moves the bolt catch/release to the right side of the lower. WHY?! One of the advantages of shooting an AR lefty is that you can operate the bolt catch/release with your trigger finger. I can lock the bolt to the rear and clear double feeds without removing the weapon from my shoulder or my firing hand from the grip. And as others have said in this thread, it's actually easier for lefties to see into the ejection port and chamber with a standard AR.

When manufacturers make a pistol lefty friendly they make the mag release and slide lock ambi but they don't mirror the slide so it ejects to the left. That's because a properly working pistol shouldn't be throwing brass at you whether you shoot it left or right handed, and the same goes for AR's. The only way I can think of that a standard AR would hit you with brass while shooting left handed is if you used some kind of aggressive overhand grip on the handguard that would put your arm in the path of ejecting brass.

If a left ejection AR suits your needs, go for it. My point is that ambi controls on the lower are far more important to a lefty shooter than which side the brass is ejecting to. Neither the Stag or RRA rifles addresses this completely. If you're dead set on a left ejecting AR, buying a lefty upper and putting it on a KAC SR-15 or other full ambi lower would probably be the best solution IMHO.

Difference of opinions. Having crap in my eye & hot brass flying at me or across me is an important factor for me. Ambi controls are nice to have though.

Maybe, it's because I have a left handed bolt & had multiple choices & my bow is left hand again just about every bow can be had in RH & LH. My shotgun is a O/U. I have used many RH rifles & shotguns in the past. I guess I'm an enthusiastic lefty advocate?
grin.gif

My pistol has been my only concession.Believe me I tried to find a LH pistol. It does have ambi safety & at arm length I don't have to deal with the exhaust or brass. All I could find were snubbies.

Oh, Noveske makes LHs too. But, rumor has it that they use the same company as Stag.

One of the reasons I like using lefty rifles is because I don't like having the port in front of my face, it just doesn't feel safe to me, I've had a round blow a primer on one of my righty bolt actions (using an uncle's handloads, never again) and had some of the gasses shoot at my face, didn't hurt me or anything, but was very unpleasant. The same paranoia that I have for bolts now transferred over to AR's, so that is why I use lefties, and plus I just feel more comfortable with lefty rifles, its probably just my paranoia/OCD kicking in though.

Lefty Upper Manufacturers:

Stag
DPMS
RRA
Specialized Dynamics (Stag upper based side charge?)

any others to look at?

OK,

Found a Stag LH upper in stock and it shipped today. Now I'm looking for lower parts and a "good" trigger. RRA seems to get good reviews for the money, others?

Also looking at barrels 18-20" with rifle length gas ports? White Oak? others, this will be a carry rifle for hunting what profile?

thanks

Gentlemen:

I didn't want to start a new thread with my idiotic question. I know very little about AR construction. I have a Stag 3GL (Lefty). Love it.

I want to try out a right handed AR for 2 reasons: 1) Everything I've read about a lefty seeing the action on a righty gun makes a lot of sense to me, and 2) I'm actually right handed (just shoot left) so it might make sense to have all the controls on my dominant hand side.

Anyway, as a newbie to ARs, my question is this: Can a right handed upper fit on my Stag 3GL lower? Or, do I need to start from scratch? Looking at a .300 Blackout upper.

Thank you for your responses.

-Boomhower

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomhower113</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gentlemen:

I didn't want to start a new thread with my idiotic question. I know very little about AR construction. I have a Stag 3GL (Lefty). Love it.

I want to try out a right handed AR for 2 reasons: 1) Everything I've read about a lefty seeing the action on a righty gun makes a lot of sense to me, and 2) I'm actually right handed (just shoot left) so it might make sense to have all the controls on my dominant hand side.

Anyway, as a newbie to ARs, my question is this: Can a right handed upper fit on my Stag 3GL lower? Or, do I need to start from scratch? Looking at a .300 Blackout upper.

-Boomhower </div></div>

As long as the lower is in spec, any AR-15 upper should fit on the lower. Does the Stag have Ambi controls? might be a good idea to get some ambi controls if you plan on switching between lefty and righty uppers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomhower113</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gentlemen:

-Boomhower </div></div>

As long as the lower is in spec, any AR-15 upper should fit on the lower. Does the Stag have Ambi controls? might be a good idea to get some ambi controls if you plan on switching between lefty and righty uppers. </div></div>

That's good to know.

As far as I know, it's in spec. I haven't done anything to change it from the factory.

I have added the ambidextrous safety and mag release and plan on getting the bolt lock that can be used from either side.

Thanks for the reply. Off to shop for uppers, I suppose.