• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Left Hand AR for my son need help Stag Arms

Codiekfx400

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2018
I want to get my son a AR for bench target shooting and prairie dog shooting. He is left handed and So far for reasonable money all I have been able to find is a stag arms 3gun elite upper for $580. It has a 18” barrel and is threaded 1/2-28 with a compensator on it. I am thinking I might have to take the compensator off and replace with a PVA mad scientist brake. Reason being since we are shooting bench or bipod the rifle might want to (bounce) from the top ports on the compensator. My biggest concern is the accuracy potential of this rifle I have no experience with Stag Arms accuracy. I do have experience with rra predator pursuit and woa varmint uppers and they are adequately accurate for what I need 3/4 moa or better is what I get for 10 shot groups. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I really don’t think that you need to limit yourself to Stag.
I’m left handed and none of my AR pattern rifles have left side ejection. I have never felt the need for one, either.
At most, an ambi selector and (maybe) an ambi charging handle are all that he needs. Right side ejection is a non issue for a left hander.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
agree, i (lefty with long guns) have a handful of ar15/ar10's, all righty's and have had zero issues. with bolt guns i try to get lefty's, but with a center charging handle and ambi controls, no issues at least for me.

I was a little bit concerned of the brass flying past his face. I have heard stories of brass coming apart as it ejects from a semi auto rifle. I personally have never had it happen to me in the thousands of rounds I have shot.

I have a Stag Ledt Handed 15L https://www.stagarms.com/stag-15l-varminter-upper/

It shoots dime sized holes with Federal GMM Ammo. I don’t even have to hand load for it. I Shoot ground squirrels at 300 to 400 yards without effort. Being left handed, I buy Stag left handed riffles. I have 5 different uppers from Stag and just bought 2 more including the 224 Valkyrie. I hope that allows even greater range.

Your son will not be disappointed.

I have a pair of the Stag Model 6 Super Varminters (recently superceded by the functionally identical Stag 15 Varminter).

You will not need anything even vaguely resembling a compensator or a brake. Mine are absolute tack drivers. The first one was shot at 600yd in serious F T/R competition by my quite petite 21 Y/O Granddaughter. She is left handed, but shoots everything righty.

The Stag 15L Upper, even adding the BCG and T-Handle options (a really good idea with a left handed Upper, IMHO), it will run you $502.47 before shipping, and no FFL is required.

It will handle factory ammunition ranging from 50gr Varmint stuff to 75gr/77gr Match loads. It takes really bad ammunition to make this rifle shoot poorly. In nearly a decade shooting AR's, including handloads in homebuilt Uppers, I have never seen a cartridge case come apart, and I collect all my brass for reloading. Before I left NY for AZ, there was always at least one Stag 6 sitting behind the LGS owner's desk awaiting pickup. It was our 'secret weapon' back then. Just having one onhand to see and pick up was all it took to keep them coming in.

You can start him with this scope and this mount, then upgrade to this scope later, when more funds are available.

Don't let the first scope's low price scare you off; I have several, and shot one in 1000yd F Open Competition for several years. It's up to the task, but the other one has nicer glass. There is also a 2.5-10 version of the same scope, which I use on .22's and my Savage 10FCM Scout 7.62x39. They have never failed me.

Just do it. You'll love it.

Greg

PS Right now, Stag has a tax refund sale on complete rifles. Stag 15L special deal. When you buy the complete 15/15L rifle, you also get a very nice 2-stage trigger installed.

Last edited:
If you turn down the gas system, add a heavier buffer and/or buffer spring, or both, the spent brass will eject at 3 o’clock - ish and is not an issue for a lefty shooting a RH eject AR.

A couple lefty coworkers went Stag... the rifles outshoot them, but I get to see exactly how well they shoot this weekend. lol

For the record, my righty AR ejects the brass directly at 3 o'clock every single time. Standard carbine buffer setup, but adjustable gas block.

Reactions: Nvcnvc
I shoot lefty and have a left handed Stag upper and really like it, but honestly I have never had an issue shooting a right handed upper either. I have put thousands of rounds through military M4's and the worst thing that's ever happened is getting a little carbon/unburnt powder spat in my face on the rare occasion. Just keep eye protection on at all times.

I shoot left handed and have both left and right hand AR's. I prefer my Stag Left hand AR over any other AR I have shot/owned. The big reason was when I added a suppressor, there was so much gas blow back in my face it was miserable. It is odd at first shooting left hand guns, but once I have time on them I really liked them.

The biggest complaint I have on the left AR is the forward assist gets in the way of the charging handle. I'd prefer no forward assist if I had my way since i never use it. (thsi is mostly a problem shooting any ar left handed, and not just with the left hand ar's)

I have a few stag rifles and they are nice. I'm not a fan of their two stage trigger and usually toss them. But they have great customer service, offer a life time guarantee on their barrels, and have proven accurate and reliable for me.

BTW, if you like rock river don't they make a left hand AR?

Reactions: rbo3969579
I shoot left handed and have both left and right hand AR's. I prefer my Stag Left hand AR over any other AR I have shot/owned. The big reason was when I added a suppressor, there was so much gas blow back in my face it was miserable. It is odd at first shooting left hand guns, but once I have time on them I really liked them.

The biggest complaint I have on the left AR is the forward assist gets in the way of the charging handle. I'd prefer no forward assist if I had my way since i never use it. (thsi is mostly a problem shooting any ar left handed, and not just with the left hand ar's)

I have a few stag rifles and they are nice. I'm not a fan of their two stage trigger and usually toss them. But they have great customer service, offer a life time guarantee on their barrels, and have proven accurate and reliable for me.

I am interested in that next two stage trigger your throwing in the trash dibbs. Lol

Thanks for your help rock river makes a left hand but it is a lot more money. I decided to order the stag 3 gun elite lefty from brownells. Figured I couldn't go wrong with the 100% guarantee they offer. Most money I would be out is the return shipping. I do appreciate all the help I got on this subject.

I am left handed and left eye dominant, I own left handed AR15 stag arms as well as right handed uppers, i prefer left handed ARs because i just do not like the brass to eject in front of my right eye. The right handed uppers are not a problem its just a preference to shoot left hand eject ports.

As mentioned by GPR, supressed shooting lefty with a right side eject rifle isn't pleasant. As a lefty, My M4-2000 gasses the hell out of me but I got to shoot an OSS can and it wasn't bad at all. If you aren't shooting suppressed I would say there isn't much difference.

You are spoiling your son. Nice job.
I am good to him. I just got the upper though and not the complete rifle. Figure I can mate it up to a Psa or rock river lower that I already have. Should be a nice rig.

I think you're right about that because I run the two Stag 6 Lowers with additional 16" Uppers from two different manufacturers, and even one of my own construction. Everything runs like it was made together.

Greg

Finally got to run my buddies Stag uppers this weekend. 18" Free floated and 16" standard. Only ran "decent" IMI 77gr through the 18" upper with a Vortex 1-8x on top and a milspec trigger. 4 shots were at 1.1" with me pulling one far right for a total group of 1.6". I think a trigger and a finer reticle would prove it to be a sub-moa rifle with quality ammo.

A friend received a Stag Arms light weight AR. Not the varmint model. Not sure if 16" or 18". He sent it to me for set up and sighting. I was dubious. Out of the box it shot sub MOA at 300 meters for 3 consecitive 5 shot groups. I returned the rifle sighted, the targets I shot, the scope settings\ data and the remainder of the test ammo he sent. He went home happy and I went home thinking about the money I have spent on high end AR's some of which did not shoot this well. No idea if it was a fluke.

Well if it's a fluke, two Stags and a homebuilt Upper based around one of their barrels says it's a bad one that's the fluke, and you never got near one of those.

In case it doesn't show, I like their stuff...