• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Left hand twist bbl to offset spin drift...

chariotdriver

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2011
Olympia, WA
Anybody ever order a LH twist bbl to take advantage of this? If so, could you tell the difference and who put the stick together. thanks, cd

Changing the direction of the twist to LH won't make gyroscopic drift disappear, it will simply change the direction from R to L.

Bro, you definitely to think that over a can of Spin-D. Actually, make that a jug and think long and hard...

As to the point, gstaylorg answered that fully and completely. You´ll only change the direction, not get rid of the drift.

What if you put a miniature warp core reactor in the bullet so the bullet could warp through the atmosphere, negating the Coriolis effect?

Im may be off in my thinking, but woulndt it only have any effect (if any) when shooting North? Maybe I shoulda paid more attention in science....

Im may be off in my thinking, but woulndt it only have any effect (if any) when shooting North? Maybe I shoulda paid more attention in science....

You're confusing Coriolis Effect with gyroscopic (spin) drift, which is what the OP asked about. The correct twist in a barrel can offset a certain amount of CE if you're in the correct hemisphere. Changing twist direction will not offset gyroscopic drift as it's the spin imparted to the projectile by the rifling that causes the drift. Neither one of these effects is normally very large (<< 1 moa), unless you're shooting at extreme range and/or are very far north/south of the equator.

You don't need to change the twist of the barrel. Just make sure you coat your bullets with wind lube and you'll not have to call the wind as accurately as you did before and the spin drift will become very negligible.

If your talking about being in the Northern half of the hemisphere and shooting a left hand twist to counter act it (coriolis effect) the answer is yes it will help but the positive effect is so small the average guy shooter etc... will not see it.

Yes we have made left hand twist barrels. The standard for .303 British rounds is a LH twist barrel. Look at 1917 Enfields in .30-06. If memory serves me correctly they are left hand twist as well.

In the real world I see no difference in accuracy etc...on LH vs. RH twist.

I will say this though being a left handed shooter. Shooting a RH twist barrel the gun will torquetwist into me/my face. Shooting a LH twist barrel the gun will torque/twist way from me.

I will also say this from a benchrest shooters perspective. Depending on the forearm of the stock and the type of rest you are using (especially a bench rest) the gun can ride the bags/rest better.

The last two points could help certain shooters.

So the original question posted isn't really a stupid question. Just nothing that really gets talked about.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Reactions: DangerRanger
Have you ever noticed how a toilet flushes in the opposite direction south of the equator??? Not that I study those kinds of things!

Have you ever noticed how a toilet flushes in the opposite direction south of the equator??? Not that I study those kinds of things!

Or,

How it goes straight down (no spin) when your AT the equator. Have witnessed this. And NO, I didnt have too much "beauty juice" the night B-4.