• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Left handed and very left eye dominate.

CrazyManInCincy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2014
New guy here! I've been shooting hand guns and shotguns for years with no issue. Now I have the interest in long range shooting. I never shot a rifle bigger then a .22. The main question I have and might be a dumb one. Should I look into a left handed rifle or learn to shoot a right handed rifle? What would be some of the issues I run into?

No reason to switch, many of the rifle manufactures make left handed rifles. Take the time to learn Natural point of aim, breathing and bipod loading.

I spent a lot of time making due with right handed rifles. After a short time with lefties, i realized how amazing it was to shoot with a rifle built for me. There is a reason no righty shoots lefty rifles, why would a lefty shoot right handed ones? On surplus you are kinda stuck, most are obligatorily righty. I am now making the expensive transition to lefty rifles and just wish i had done this sooner.

If your a lefty, then shoot lefty, there are more opportunities out there now then ever before for lefties.

If you are left eye dominant and left handed definitely shoot left handed. I was told I had to shoot right handed when I was issued the M14 never did. When they took the M14 away and gave me an M16 they said shoot right handed. I shot left handed even though the M16 didn't have a deflector and ejected right in my face. I own two M1As and 4 AR15s and all are right handed models. No problem they ejection happened so fast you can't see it.
My bolt rifles are all left handed and I would not consider buying a right handed action for my use as I am left handed and left eye dominant too.

Three Surgeon rh rifles later.... I am not going to defy my god given gift of left handed ness! Ask yourself, would you like to give up a sling and shooting off-hand just to use a right hand bolt.... I finally answered that question and sold all my rt bolt rifles to pay for custom left handed rifles...

just as a point of reference: a gentleman by the man of gary anderson shot/holds an olympic record shooting left handed with a right handed rifle. i had the pleasure of watching him cycle/dry fire a 1903a3 10 shots in 70 seconds with a reload. practice.

I am cursed being right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot lefty on everything but from the holster drills. (left hand just not with the program!) My two left-handed firearms are a Benelli SBE2 & Win M70 300wm hunting rifle. I rarely shoot the M70 because running the bolt with my left hand feels awkward to me. ATM I am assembling parts for my first high end precision rifle, and I'm going right handed action, I figure that if I decide to sell should easier to offload a right sided weapon.

Bought two RH rifles on here, and after a year switched to Lefties...I'm right handed but left eye dominate, and still really prefer the LH's...

As you are left handed and left eye dominant you should go with a LH bolt, it's a little bit more complex for those uf us who are cross dominant. I have that problem and here is my crazy shooting style. Handguns I generally shoot RH but can shoot equally fine with left so not much of an issue. Here is where it gets weird. If a rifle or shotgun has iron sights, I shoot it left hand, if the rifle or shotgun has a scope, I shoot it right hand. I even shoot my bow RH and have not had an issue but I grew up shooting that way and have no reason to switch now. The only down side I can see for a LH rifle would be trying to sell it as the pool of buyers would be much smaller.

Ok you guys are making me a bit nervous here as I am a lefty and left eye dominant. In a week or two I'm going to pick up my GAP 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun and having them mout my S&B 5 25x56. It is a RH because I was concerned as to resale of the pool being much smaller for lefties, however I have no intentions of selling it that I can think of as this will be one of the nicest rifles I own. I have ar10 and ar15s and have no issues there. What maybe my issue as this is my first bolt gun. I did not tell Ken at GA that I'm a leftie as I did not think this was a concern. I guess I get it if it were a speed thing, if I were shooting comps but I only intend to target shoot and just have fun with the rifle.

i am lefty and went with all lefty actions. shooting from prone or a bench is fine with a right handed rifle but running and gunning in tactical matches a lefty action helps alot if you are a lefty shooter. with a right handed bolt i had to rebuild my position ever shot. with a lefty action my cheek stays on the rifle and eye in the scope as load another round.

I know nothing about rifles. That looks like a awesome rifle but I would get killed by my other half if I dropped $4k out of the gate

I've always shot right-handed rifles, so I don't know what I'm missing. Ignorance is bliss in this case, as selection of rifles and accessories for left-handed configuration is still limited compared to RH.

Lefty here and started out on a righty rifle. Some say its much faster manipulating the bolt but in my opinion thats only necessary for certain types of occasions, not when you're shooting prone at steel and time doesn't matter. Plus shooting offhand is a bitch. I sold it and bought a lefty Stiller and its a world of difference. I thought about buying another right handed rifle just to learn both techniques but then realized if I want to shoot righty I'll just shoot my AR right handed.....yes I know its different its good to train both eyes. Theres no point in going against your natural body mechanics if you don't have to when theres a plethora of lefty actions out there and increasing availability of supplies.

Last edited:
+1 on mr bungle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am left handed and very left eye dominant and shoot left handed actions. This includes a left handed AI Arctic Warfare.

good luck finding a lefty remington right now. Its near impossible with the recall. tikka and savage both make lefties. The tikka is a better action out of the box, but for an out of the box trigger, the accutrigger is hard to beat. Any idea of budget? I don't know if its stilll for sale but Deiselgeek was selling a lefty in 6.5 creedmoor that I have almost bought several times. on second thought don't buy that one... maybe if i start selling plasma i can!

Tikka? I never heard of the brand? From what read it sounds like you have to do a lot to a 700 out of the box to get it just right. I have heard a lot of good things about the savage Acu trigger. I was looking to spend $1,000-$1,500 if that do able. I also want a rifle that can grow with me as my skills improve. Sounds like for cost the .308 is the way to go. Any insight of info would be great on any of them.

Having the same problem, I just was told growing up do it right handed. Eventually you just get used to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk