• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Left handed/left eye dominent. Which bolt action?

DOA

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2009
CA
Left handed/left eye dominent. Which bolt action? Left handed gun or right handed gun? Im looking to get my first bolt action and am not sure what would be better. Tried to do a search first but didnt find any answers...

Re: Left handed/left eye dominent. Which bolt action?

There are two trains of thought for left handed folks.

First, since you're left handed, make sure to get a left bolt/left eject gun so you're still using your primary side.

Second, since the majority of people are right handed, and most rifles are built right bolt/right eject just grab a 'right hand' rifle and go shoot.

For me, I think there's a big deal made about left or right handed. Now here's my thoughts. Since 'right hand' rifles are more common, they're also less expensive. There's a cost savings right there. Now, everybody should learn to shoot both strong and support side, so right or left hand shouldn't matter. And this is the most important -- if you're in a position where you have to pick up a rifle and shoot, it's more likely to be right handed than left handed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Being a lefty makes right hand bolt manipulation much faster. </div></div>

How do you figure??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wanderlust</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Being a lefty makes right hand bolt manipulation much faster. </div></div>

How do you figure?? </div></div>

I Think what Shark is trying to say is thatt "lefties" dont have to leave the trigger to cycle the bolt like "righties" do. I shoot lefty but am right hand dominant so this allows me to stay on the trigger and not lose sight picture. I tried a left hand bolt rifle and couldnt get comfy with it. Just my .02.
I also understand there are a few guys out there that have sleight of hand with a RH bolt and can easily cycle as fast if not faster... I just think its all in how much experience you have with your particular selection of riffle.

I am left hand and I shoot both. I like the left hand bolt for hunting and long range shooting. If I am going to be shooting Parair dogs then a right hand so I can see into the action when shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMelton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I Think what Shark is trying to say is thatt "lefties" dont have to leave the trigger to cycle the bolt like "righties" do. I shoot lefty but am right hand dominant so this allows me to stay on the trigger and not lose sight picture. I tried a left hand bolt rifle and couldnt get comfy with it. Just my .02.
I also understand there are a few guys out there that have sleight of hand with a RH bolt and can easily cycle as fast if not faster... I just think its all in how much experience you have with your particular selection of riffle. </div></div>

While I agree one could become quite skilled at using the non firing hand, I can't see it being faster given the same experience level.
1) sight picture shouldn't be lost using either hand
2) using the non firing hand would have to move 2-3 times further than the firing hand.

I'm certainly not going to agree one's personal decision to use either method, but still can't see a case for it being faster in general.

Fastest guy I ever saw with a bolt gun was a left-handed guy with a right handed rifle.

I am right handed but shoot a left handed because I am left eye dominant, not really a problem when shooting prone with a bipod. My father won his marksmanship badge in the Rhodesian Army shooting a Lee Enfield .303 left handed.

Neither of us ever had the inclination to buy a left hand bolt.

Shooting prone left handed with bipod or on a rest you cycle the right hand bolt with your right hand....its natural and very fast, while keeping your left hand on the trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr Rhodesian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting prone left handed with bipod or on a rest you cycle the right hand bolt with your right hand....its natural and very fast, while keeping your left hand on the trigger. </div></div>

I was wondering about that. Do you have to move your face out of the way to clear the bolt, thus moving completely out of your cheekweld or is their another way?

I am a left eye dominant person and shot right handed all my life UNTIL I got a Left Handed Remington 700 223 and found out what I have been missing all my life. If you are a lefty and shooting a right handed rifle it is OK if you are prone but if you are kneeling or standing then you have to do something odd to get the bolt to work correctly. When you use a left handed rifle it becomes more natural to you. If I were starting out as a lefty I would go lefty and be done with it. No sense buying right handed rifles only to find out later something is better out there for you.
Here is my lefty Persus from Black Ops:
Skunk1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr Rhodesian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not with a short action, cycles very nicely without removing your cheek weld...can't say with a long action though.</div></div>

It is not an issue with a long action if you adjust length of pull, scope position or have a longer eye relief.

DOA, you always want to setup your rifles to ensure that you don't move your head when working the bolt.

I'm a lefty but I'm right eye dominant. I shot lefty most of my life with right handed rifles... With my left eye. Now I shoot righty exclusively. IIRC, I used to work the bolt on a right handed rifle with my left hand. It was awkward but seemed to make sense at the time. Someday I'd like to test using my right hand to work the bolt when shooting left handed to see if it helps accuracy, but not any time soon. I have a stupid "port" surgically implanted under my left collar-bone, right where a buttstock rests. It would probably upset my Oncologist if I smashed it from recoil! LOL!!!
I don't think a left handed rifle has much advantage for a lefty. They are generally more expensive and nearly impossible to re-sell if you decide you want something else. FWIW...

I am left eye dominant and have never owned a left hand rifle, HOWEVER, it has become a bit of a problem for me shooting tactical matches in the positional stages it is like a monkey f-ing a football trying to cycle the bolt between shots on the positional stages, shooting prone, I would never have worried about it, but shooting positional stages in matches is a bitch with a right handed set up vs. having a gun set up to your strengths.

BTW I am in the market for a left hand Remmy 700 short action Receiver if anyone knows of one for sale!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr Rhodesian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting prone left handed with bipod or on a rest you cycle the right hand bolt with your right hand....its natural and very fast, while keeping your left hand on the trigger. </div></div>

Yep, but try that in real life field positions without your 'pods, or your bench rest.....with only a sling for support. You may as well just retrain your eye dominance and shoot a right hand bolt right handed.

I can very easily function with a rifle ambidextrous, though it took lots of practice to be "easy", and have made more than my fair share of kill shots off my wrong shoulder due to circumstances at the time....but I'm left handed, left eye dominate, and am much more comfortable with a left hand bolt shooting true left handed when circumstances allow, which is usually most of the time.

go with a true lefty rifle, I was in the same boat when deciding for a build and just sucked it up and put the extra dime into the lefty receiver. shooting from a bench or bipod its doesnt matter all too much, but when you start shooting off hand, having to reach over the rifle to cycle is just a pain in the arse!