• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Left handed shooters

JJay45

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2022
Ohio
I recently bought a right handed cz457 even though im a lefty. Kind of wishing I got the left handed version now. Guess I could always get a left handed version later and have this one for my wife or friends to shoot. Just looking to see what other lefties prefer.

I can shoot either left or right handed but I definitely prefer lefty. I didn't realize how dramatic of a difference it was for me until I tried my first lefty bolt gun about 4 years ago. I sold most of my right handed actions soon after.

Are you left or right eye dominant?

I am left eye dominant and shoot a LH bolt gun. I have shot RH ones when necessary but am not a fan. Those gas exhaust ports going off in my face would suck.
I am left eye dominate. Yeah I feel it was a bad move going with the rh action. Guess I thought it would be easier and have better part availability. They also didn’t have any left-handed versions with the threaded barrel.

I am left eye dominate. Yeah I feel it was a bad move going with the rh action. Guess I thought it would be easier and have better part availability. They also didn’t have any left-handed versions with the threaded barrel.
You do have to be patient with respect to availability when you're a southpaw. I shoot an AI and I have waited for years for things available to RH AI shooters on day 1.

The good thing is that you can always sell your stick and buy a LH version pretty easily when you decide it is right.

Reactions: JJay45
If you’re looking for the 457 in 22lr in lefty, you’ll be waiting a while. It’s supposed to be available, but I haven’t seen one yet. You can get the .17 and convert it.

The Bergara B14R is available in lefty now and in stock.

or you can do what I did… was on the waiting list for a year for those above and finally gave in and ordered a Vudoo. Im picking it up from my FFL today.

If you’re looking for the 457 in 22lr in lefty, you’ll be waiting a while. It’s supposed to be available, but I haven’t seen one yet. You can get the .17 and convert it.

The Bergara B14R is available in lefty now and in stock.

or you can do what I did… was on the waiting list for a year for those above and finally gave in and ordered a Vudoo. Im picking it up from my FFL today.
Converting one is just a barrel swap? I would do that anyway since the lefty version does not come with a threaded barrel.

The LH market certainly is a PITA. I waited for 5 months for a LH Bergara 22 Trainer to finally show up in stock. I almost got taken by one of the Bergara scam sites due to my impatience. I have a RH 457 that just sits around now for the grandkids to shoot or for someone to borrow for local 22 NRL type matches. I shot LH High Power for 20 years and didn't feel the AR platform was a disadvantage but for PRS type shooting, getting on target is so much faster shooting my dominant eye. LH bolt manipulation is easier but that wasn't a deal breaker for shooting a RH rifle left handed.

I should get rid of my RH rifles that just sit in the safe but I struggle with selling any firearms once I have them.

The LH market certainly is a PITA. I waited for 5 months for a LH Bergara 22 Trainer to finally show up in stock. I almost got taken by one of the Bergara scam sites due to my impatience. I have a RH 457 that just sits around now for the grandkids to shoot or for someone to borrow for local 22 NRL type matches. I shot LH High Power for 20 years and didn't feel the AR platform was a disadvantage but for PRS type shooting, getting on target is so much faster shooting my dominant eye. LH bolt manipulation is easier but that wasn't a deal breaker for shooting a RH rifle left handed.

I should get rid of my RH rifles that just sit in the safe but I struggle with selling any firearms once I have them.
I agree. RH ARs I am good with but bolt action not so much. Only disadvantage with the rh AR is smoke in the face.

The lefty t1x's in 22lr are starting to show up. I'm going to be selling my lefty Savage mark 2's to get one.

Bro, it's a huge PIA but a lefty AR is SOOO much better.
If Geissele or Daniel defense made one ide probably be interested but with an ambi safety and raptor CH im totally fine with the RH versions. I can easily manipulate the bolt catch with my trigger finger.

Last edited:
If Geissele or Daniel defense made one ide probably be interested but with an ambi safety and raptor CH im totally fine with the RH versions. I can easily manipulate the bolt catch with my trigger finger.
Yeah if they did or LMT I'd get one but the CLE one I have and the 2 others I've built are solid (pistons now). So much better with ejection and gas not in the face. I shoot all suppressed so, it's even more so

Converting one is just a barrel swap? I would do that anyway since the lefty version does not come with a threaded barrel.
I think there needs To be something done for the mags/Magwell.

It
I can shoot either left or right handed but I definitely prefer lefty. I didn't realize how dramatic of a difference it was for me until I tried my first lefty bolt gun about 4 years ago. I sold most of my right handed actions soon after.
Was the same story for me... My work gun is still a RH gun, and I can shoot it well enough to finish second in class at the recent K&M Swat sniper course... But man I would have rather shot a LH gun, workflow is just so much smoother when running one.

Reactions: JJay45 and Nik H
Went to my LGS to check on a lefty 457 and their suppliers are out of stock. Had them put me on the list to call when one comes back in stock.

Im a lefty.

For bolt guns I shoot all left handed guns now… you have to be super patient and find platforms that work. I currently run a few savages and a couple TLr-3 actions. Biggest thing is being able to stay on target with a follow up shot. Working the action with your ”shooting“ hand has it advantages.

For ”fighting rifles” ARs and such I shoot right handed guns for several reasons including parts availability and Manual of arms. I have ambi controls that In ten minutes I can put on any AR. I also run an ar just fine as a left handed shooter you just have to train to it. As far as gas goes, even suppressed its not that bad unless your running an SBR. I always ware eye pro so that helps a lot.

Bolt guns lefty, semi autos righty. My sx3 12g is a right but the saftey is flipable from lefty use. Scope turrets are annoying however.

I recently bought a right handed cz457 even though im a lefty. Kind of wishing I got the left handed version now. Guess I could always get a left handed version later and have this one for my wife or friends to shoot. Just looking to see what other lefties prefer.
I'm left-handed and left-eye dominant. I can shoot either way, but prefer left. I have one left-handed bolt gun, so I have to watch myself and make sure that operate the gun properly since I've had to shoot right-hand guns all my life. But, when I shoot the left-handed gun, everything feels and works better.

Reactions: Vinnie45ACP
Eye dominance is something to consider if you're cross dominant- R eye, L hand.

If you're Left eye & left hand... do not hesitate to go LH for your bolt rifles. Everyone I know that has is much happier after.

AR style rifles are up to you. Figure out which side you want to shoot on and make sure the ejection port is on the opposite side of your face.

My wife is L eye R hand dominant. She shoots ARs right handed, pistols right handed, bolt guns left handed.

I am a HUGE fan of Radian Raptor charging handles. After using my friend's, I replaced all my BCM charging handles with Raptors. No more CH bite.

As a left eye dominant, right handed person, I chose to start shooting LH and have just stuck with it. I agree that it is a giant pain in the ass, and from a manufacturers standpoint, the sales to the LH population are a tiny percentage of the RH population.

In saying that, there are continuously more LH options becoming available, however, they are usually more expensive and take longer to get. I shoot a LH Defiance, Tikka and Zermatt action, depending on the situation.

Just my 2 cents,
- Josh

Reactions: Earnhardt
As a left eye dominant, right handed person, I chose to start shooting LH and have just stuck with it. I agree that it is a giant pain in the ass, and from a manufacturers standpoint, the sales to the LH population are a tiny percentage of the RH population.

In saying that, there are continuously more LH options becoming available, however, they are usually more expensive and take longer to get. I shoot a LH Defiance, Tikka and Zermatt action, depending on the situation.

Just my 2 cents,
- Josh
Josh, would you please elaborate on which action is dictated by which situation?

Curious. Thank you

I've shot port side all my life. Used right-handed rifles as a kid and now that I'm old and can afford left-handed bolt guns I am a happy man. My AR's are right-handed though and present no problems.

Both of my AI's are lefty and love it. My shotguns are right handed and it doesn't bother me. The AR's I had I would go with piston driven to push the gas as far forward as possible. I watch the Left Handed section in the PX.

To each his own, find what works for you and stick with it.

Josh, would you please elaborate on which action is dictated by which situation?

Curious. Thank you
Good point and what I mean by that is that every action has it's pros and cons, and being a leftie, we don't always have the luxury of finding all of the features that we want! For a factory action build (centrefire) then I will typically go with a Tikka over just about everything, whereas in rimfire, you have a lot of factory options like the Tikka T1x, CZ 452/457 or Bergara B14R!

If/when you go custom, then the world is your oyster, you just have to pay for that damn expensive oyster! Then you can customize your specific action to your liking and there is a pile more options.

I suppose that I worded it wrong. Rather than the action being situational, it is more dictated by the type of build you are trying to achieve!

PS: Side note, I didn't even know that there were such things as the CZ 457 LH and Bergara B14R LH before this thread, so both of those are great news and I am loving that support from big names like those!

- Josh

Good point and what I mean by that is that every action has it's pros and cons, and being a leftie, we don't always have the luxury of finding all of the features that we want! For a factory action build (centrefire) then I will typically go with a Tikka over just about everything, whereas in rimfire, you have a lot of factory options like the Tikka T1x, CZ 452/457 or Bergara B14R!

If/when you go custom, then the world is your oyster, you just have to pay for that damn expensive oyster! Then you can customize your specific action to your liking and there is a pile more options.

I suppose that I worded it wrong. Rather than the action being situational, it is more dictated by the type of build you are trying to achieve!

PS: Side note, I didn't even know that there were such things as the CZ 457 LH and Bergara B14R LH before this thread, so both of those are great news and I am loving that support from big names like those!

- Josh
The cz457lh is quite new. Just announced beginning of June 2022. B14r lh was some time in 2021.

Biggest thing that I've seen is that the fancy (better stock, stainless, etc.) options aren't available lefty just the basic versions. If everybody that is lefty buys right guns there won't be the numbers where they want to offer the options for the nice lefty's. So somewhat of a catch 22. It would also help the lefty numbers if they announced both at the same time even if left availability is slightly delayed.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
I used to only buy RH just because of my sons being able to use my rifles, nowadays I just buy LH as I find them since I can always pick up and build a righty pretty much anytime.

My lefty B14R is out for delivery today.... scored a lefty whiskey 3 off the classifieds and I am ready to set the rimfire world ablaze lol.

I'm right handed left eye dominant. Long guns for me are right handed but I shoot them left hand. PIA to get it figured out but I have been doing this for a while and it works fine.

The world seems to discount left handed people to some degree so options for right handed people are generally greater.

VooDoo

Left handed Left Eye dominant here. I ran right handed bolts my whole life. As a kid I didn't really have a choice.
Shooting with the front of the rifle supported ( what I shoot 99% of the time), I can run a right bolt alot faster.
When you think about it that makes sense as your trigger hand never leaves the rifle. For a lefty that means I drive the rifle with my left hand and run the bolt and manage recoil with the right. Buy the way the brass ends up in my lap which is handy. Most importantly is I can see the rounds load while closing the bolt.
This is typically called "running weakside bolt"
https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2022/09/weakside-bolt-placement-when-and-why-it-works/

I agree. RH ARs I am good with but bolt action not so much. Only disadvantage with the rh AR is smoke in the face.

...unless you have a piston AR (or HK in my case). I don't shoot supressed, and I feel like I have no gas whatsoever in my face when shooting...