• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Left my rifle at the doctors office today...

XTR

F-TR junkie
Minuteman
  • Sep 4, 2010
    Lebanon, NH
    www.onlinehumidor.com
    That was hard.

I've been shooting F-TR with a Longshot Rifles 308 for the last yr. As is often said here, it is a hammer. I can shoot .34 to .5 with it off of a Harris pod, and unlike many the pics are out there to prove it, and no "don't count the flyer" caveats (in fact if you "discount the flyer" in my last 5 shot .34 group it was more like .25) Three groups, three ragged holes in the target.

The problem is that it has a 24" Rock Creek #8 barrel, the heaviest contour other than a straight that Rock makes. That means it's too short to really rev it up for 1000 yds and too damned heavy to lug anywhere. I had a 30" Kreiger sitting in the corner waiting for the build parts I have on order, but Defiance says the action will be here in April, and I speak "gunsmith" pretty well so that means June, I don't have the stock from Precision yet and even after it all gets here I'll still have to get it screwed together and do load workups so I figure late summer at the earliest.

It hit me when checked ogive/lands measurements on my rifle this week and I realized that I really didn't want to shoot another match with this tube and reworking my loads for this rifle was going to be a waste of time.

SO, I dropped my rifle and my new barrel off today to get it mounted up. Since Chris Mathews trued and bedded the action and nothing but the barrel is changing I'll get it back in about 2 weeks, but telling someone to pull the barrel on the most accurate rifle I've ever owned was pretty hard.

Anyone want a threaded 24" Rock Creek #8 with a .339 neck that shoots light out. ~2500 rounds .
    smile.gif

Now I need to order another blank and I'll end up with 2 match rifles. I guess I'll just get the heavy Palma lopped off to 22 or so after I get the new build up and running later this year.

Re: Left my rifle at the doctors office today...

Better hold on to that "hummer". Build out the new long barrel gun (when all the parts are ready) and then screw the 24" back on for your mid-range stuff. When that Memphis mid-range championship rolls around you'll be a happy camper.

Look forward to shooting my first 1K match at Oak Ridge this year. Graduating from a short barrel myself and the new rifle should be here in 3 to 4 weeks (no gunsmith talk).

You'd better have your long barrel ready for the may LR regional....looks like the Butner guys are showing up in full force for this match....OR needs you and your A game by then.

You'd better have your long barrel ready for the may LR regional....looks like the Butner guys are showing up in full force for this match....OR needs you and your A game by then.

Ya know what is really typical, I got a call from Defiance when I was getting on a plane on Friday afternoon, they want to know where to ship my new action.

Now I gotta get another barrel.

The way it was:

1_18_10_10_3_20_36.jpg

New Look, new coating

1_27_01_12_3_48_56.jpg

Long tube

1_27_01_12_3_49_38.jpg

New setup weighs in at 17.25, plenty of room. Oddly enough it's pretty much the same weight that it was with the old 24" barrel.

Went to the range today so start doing load work for the new barrel.

Adding six inches is faster, about 150FPS faster for the loads that I've taken the time to cross reference.

I fired about 15 rounds with 175 SMKs to get the scope zeroed again. Here is an interesting tidbit. With the new barrel, my 100 yd zero was off by 1/8 MOA in elevation from the old barrel. I'm not sure of the windage, I didn't get that concerned about that yet.

I fired 2 OCW series at 200 yds with 155SMK[2156] and Berger 185LRBTs Targets as follows.

155s were fast, but if I'm going to shoot them I am going to have to do some more load development and play with seating depths.

1_28_01_12_3_49_11.jpg

1_28_01_12_3_53_20.jpg

The 185 Bergers on the otherhand I think I found something that works. I am not certain of exactly where the accuracy node is in this series but as for dialing the loads, I know they are only 3 shot groups but 0.155 MOA at 200 yds is "acceptable" I think.

1_28_01_12_3_51_33.jpg

1_28_01_12_3_53_45.jpg

The last shot with the 185s was the one in the red at 44.7, I'm pretty certain it's a flyer on my part but I couldn't be sure. if it was more left and a little down it would make more sense.

Sinclair Bipod and rear bag.

The guy who owns the shop that did the work was at the range. I showed him the 185 targets and told him to go tell Bob (the gunsmith) that they have a happy customer.

On the 185's, 43.8 to 44.1 is going to be your node. Common points of impact and common grouping. 44.4 looks like your starting to enter the scatter node a bit and 44.7 is the scatter node. I'd fine tune the load between 43.8 and 44.1-3ish.

Good looking rifle and she'll definitely shoot!

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshooter70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the 185's, 43.8 to 44.1 is going to be your node. Common points of impact and common grouping. 44.4 looks like your starting to enter the scatter node a bit and 44.7 is the scatter node. I'd fine tune the load between 43.8 and 44.1-3ish.

Good looking rifle and she'll definitely shoot!

John </div></div>

Now that I've taken time to look at it I see that one. Oddly enough both another shooter and I here in Oak Ridge have in the past used 44.0 for the 185LRBT. That's the load I used the last half of last yr. He shoots a Savage and I was shooting a Remy. Seems to lend some credence to the theory that there are just some loads, like FGGM that are in the node for most rifles.

Looks like the node for the 155s is between 46.1 and 46.4. It's a little harder to see the way they are spread out but I think it's in there. I want to work them up and see how they work on the range here. Those were avg 2929/2961, that would put 46.3 at about 2950. That's respectable and I'm afraid I can't make the next node with them, though I got no pressure signs at 47.0.

Now I need to work up a test for the 175SMKs. I like to use them in practice, 1/2 the price of Bergers and less forgiving of wind.

Are you jumping or jamming the 2156's? In my experience, others may disagree, but I've had really good success jumping them a long way. My go to load for them is 44.9 gr 8208, Win brass, and CCI primers. I did the typical OCW with them, found my node, and started working on my seating depth. By adjust the seating depth it took a good load and made it a great load.

On another note, I have a lot of friends loading up to 47.8gr of Varget with the 155's in Win brass. Just watch for signs of pressure. Your rifle will tell you what it likes. I usually go 1.5% over the scatter node to find the next OCW node.
    Good luck and good shooting!

John

Thanks for the feedback.

This was the first day at the range with this rifle. I seated everything at 10 thousandths off for starters. last year I was seating the 175s at 20 thousandths out, and that's the direction I was planning to move.

I'll load up some of the 155s at 20 off and see how far I can push them, then again I don't get paid to do this so I'm not really wanting to blow the primer pockets after a couple of loads either.

I've got a couple of hundred 175s loaded for the old chamber with 44.2 gn of Varget, I'll push a bunch back to 10 and 20 off for this rifle and see how they do.

You may find that those 2156's like to shoot at 40 off.

I never realized these were that picky, they sound more like VLD than Sierras.

The first ones were at 10 off, I've got a batch loaded at 20 off now. I'll make a batch at 40.

I started at .010" off and worked in with .005" increments. Load 3 at 2.xxx, subtact .005", repeat until you've gone ~ .050". If you find the sweet spot before you shoot them all just pull them and re-seat. I shoot seating depth tests the same way I do an OCW. I shoot round robin starting from longest to shortest. YMMV but it works for me. I have seen jumping .010" miss a sweet spot.

Good Luck..

John

SIE107: Dude, you need to resize that picture in your signature...freaking huge.