• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lefthanded Scope Placement

lefty81

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2011
California
Curious question, all input is appreciated.
So I am building a .308 AR for multi-use purposes
and I plan on topping it with the
Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x.
I plan on front carrying so the windage turret will be bumped a lot.
I am left handed and shoot as such.
Is there any reason I cannot or should not rotate the scope counter clockwise so that the windage turret becomes the elevation and the elevation becomes the windage, but on the left hand side of the rifle?

The scope is listed as having 16.5 mils of adjustment for both elevation and windage so the range will not be compromised.
Also, there is no side focus so rotating will not be impaired by other knobs.
The numbering on the windage will be backwards, but as long as I keep this in mind dialing it should not be a problem.

So I turn this over to you guys.
Do you see any potential for problems or concerns?
Thanks in advance!

Re: Lefthanded Scope Placement

I have seen a few users do that and get away with it. One guy even went so far as to have a custom wind knob made so the numbers were right side up.

It should work the same and it shouldn't hurt the scope to try it. If its a normal Mildot scope or duplex you should be fine.

Mike

I am left handed and have always mounted scopes standard way. Not sure what benefit it would be to have the windage turret on the left side - I use my forward (right) hand to adjust and it works great. Never even thought about doing this different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfoley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am left handed and have always mounted scopes standard way. Not sure what benefit it would be to have the windage turret on the left side - I use my forward (right) hand to adjust and it works great. Never even thought about doing this different. </div></div>

Yeah I usually set my rifles up standard too, this one will be carried front loaded in the field often so I have a slight concern the windage knob will get smashed against me a lot.

Have you carried any of your rifles for an extended period of time front loaded? If so whs the windage knob (especially high turrets) bothersome?
Thanks.

lefty too, i sometimes think about the the windage getting knocked around while front carrying, especially without some type of locking system like the weaver has. you just have to be a little more conscientious. you can rotate the scope, see no problem with it. i don't know if the turret knobs can come off that weaver, if so you can just swap them.

as i mostly use a right handed bolt rifle, i like the turret on the same side as the bolt handle - i only have to move one hand to do any adjusting or cycling. besides, with the turret on the bolt side (normal setup) i actually get to see the numbers on the windage turret. i mostly dial for elevation , hold for wind so seeing the turret isn't REALLY a big deal for me.

the knob hasn't been bothersome to me as far as comfort goes, just have t make sure you are at zero and the knob hasn't moved before taking a shot.

lefty81,
I have carried an AR up front but never had especially high turrets. Sounds like it would be worth trying - never even thought about doing it your way. Seems my scopes have always had more elevation adjust than windage. Good luck, let us know how it works.

I am right handed and right eye dominant, but I have a USO with left hand windage on my .260. I can see what the windage knob says with my left eye, and adjust for windage with my non firing hand. I don't have to break my cheek to stock weld to see a right handed knob, and can make adjustments with minimal disturbance to my position.

So far I like it. So maybe you could try it set up the standard way first...leaving you to do a mirror image of what I'm doing and see if it works for you.

I'm a righty and ran a 16x SS rotated 90 degrees for a while. It worked just fine and I actually prefer it that way, but I found that I rarely dial for wind. Since most of my scopes now have illumination on the left side, I've converted back to conventional form.

Thanks for the input guys, sounds like there are no issues with rotating the scope.
I just need to experiment which is better; windage turret out of the way on the left hand side, or windage turret easily visible on the right hand side.

Thanks for entertaining my ideas!