• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Lefty bolt worth it?

acesfull72

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2011
I've always been into shooting semi automatic rifles and pistols. I just always thought shooting fast was better. I also was under the impression that shooting over 50 yards with a .22 was a waste of time.

After reading this forum I've decided it's time for a bolt action. I'm hoping to shoot 100+ yards. The only problem is I'm a lefty.

To clarify, shooting left handed feels the most natural for me. A few of the semi's I own are pretty hazardous to shoot lefty so I've learned to shoot righty.

Should I find a left handed model that will feel the most natural for me? Should I learn how to shoot a right handed model lefty? Or just train myself to shoot right handed?

Re: Lefty bolt worth it?

Left handed bolt actions, like a Savage are not hard to come by so you can pick one up pretty easily. In the end its your call as to which side you want to go with, but it will be hard for friends to shoot the gun and maybe slightly harder to re-sell the gun later. Go with whatever you can shoot best and you will be happy.

If shooting left handed feels more natural for you, then I would most certainly look for a lefty bolt. Yes there are lots of lefties who just shoot a right handed rifle left handed (my wife being one), but there is no reason to not look for one.

Thanks for the advice. My dream is to stumble upon a used CZ lefty... haha... someday...

Situation Normal- Olympia huh? I'm shooting out in Ellensburg WA. Go Mariners!

My brother has a savage BTVS lefty and the thing is a tack driver. The Cz's are a little harder to find and much more money.

Pretty country out that way. The wife and I had never been through there so we took a drive through a couple of weeks back. We hit up Ele Elum, Ellensberg and Leavanworth.

Even with a 16 game losing streak I'm still sporting the Mariners logo for my avatar, and wear one of their hats just about everyday.

The CZ's are incredible rifles and you don't see them for sale too often. When they do, they're usually scooped up pretty quick. There's always the option of ordering one. Budsguns.com has the 452 Lux in 22 in stock for $408 right now...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/972/products_id/21738

Or the 452 American for $411...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/63_972/products_id/18236

I'm beginning to think that I see the left-handed Lux in my wifes near future.

You can adapt to any of the situations you outlined, but usually it's easier and more comfortable to shoot on the dominant eye's side of the body with a rifle who's bolt reflects the side being shot from. Meaning, if your left eye is the dominant one, then shooting from your left shoulder with a left handed rifle will be most ideal.

However, you can make a right handed rifle work. I like things that are different. So walking down the line looking at all the weapons, I notice that about 98% are usually right handed rifles. To me, that makes me want to be the guy shooting a lefty... Even though i'm right handed
grin.gif

And from the bench or in prone (positions where you don't have to have your offhand supporting the rifle) you can be very fast with bolt manipulation. You can also practice support side effectively with a rifle meant for your weak side. I'd like to be able to shoot with both arms equally well, so I practice (or try to) with both sides. I whole heartedly believe that every shooter should be able to hold decent accuracy with their weak side.

Hope this helps,
Dylan

Lefty rifles are a must if you are a lefty. Go get them!!!! Good Luck. I am going to be putting my Savage BTVS .22LR up for sale here shortly, thombhole stock varmint barrel, Let me know if you are interested.

Jake

Got my LH 452A .22lr from Whittaker Guns. I would prefer LH bolts except when shooting bench only.

Terror/TITS has it down, find out which eye is dominate. Easyer to hit what you can see.
But don't ignore the weak side might be real useful some day.

I am left handed and that side feels best to me. I can shoot ether side well but left is more comfortable. There are more left hand guns out there than you think, there are 7 in my safe. Four are left hand Savage Tacticals in 223, 25-06, 260 Remington and 308. These are older pre-accutrigger and they all shoot very well. Stay on the left, after all we are the ones in our right mind.

It's a pain in the ass to manipulate a right hand bolt from the left shoulder. I'd get the left hand bolt if you could afford one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: acesfull72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always been into shooting semi automatic rifles and pistols. I just always thought shooting fast was better. I also was under the impression that shooting over 50 yards with a .22 was a waste of time.

After reading this forum I've decided it's time for a bolt action. I'm hoping to shoot 100+ yards. The only problem is I'm a lefty.

To clarify, shooting left handed feels the most natural for me. A few of the semi's I own are pretty hazardous to shoot lefty so I've learned to shoot righty.

Should I find a left handed model that will feel the most natural for me? Should I learn how to shoot a right handed model lefty? Or just train myself to shoot right handed? </div></div>Me being right handed, I certainly would not buy a left hand bolt action. Just sayin'.
confused.gif

I'm a lefty, and use a left handed CZ452 which I bought specifically because of.what people over here call my disability! If you are left handed, buy left handed stuff, if you can, make your life easier. As for friends having problems using your rifle, who are you buying for, yourself, or your mates? Not enough rifles are truly left handed - the CZ452 IS!

I am lefty and all my guns are righties...my ass is not hurting a bit...

Accuracy-wise, I see NO freaking difference between shooting LH and RH actions, so WTF.

I'm left handed, but do many things right handed out of necessity. But, I'm STRONGLY left eye dominant. After years of powder burns on my face from my Ruger 10/22, I decided that I would try a left hand bolt gun. Got the one I've wanted since high school (30+ years ago) - a Remington 700, heavy barreled 308. Hunted with a K98 my great uncle brought back from Europe and learned to work the bolt well enough. My shooting world really brightened up with the Remington. Yeah, us Lefties don't have the options the Righties do, but a left-hand bolt IS WORTH IT! Good luck with your decision, but it was an easy one for me to make.

i'm all f'd up. i shoot rifle more naturally lefty (left eye dominant) shoot pistol rightie. play guitar lefty, write rightie. shoot a bow rightie, cross bow leftie, inline muzzle loader lefty. through shooting the right support side, i'm close to duplicating how i shoot lefty offhand, kneeling and sitting, that is, in a controlled range setting.

my right side (strength and coordination) is better on my right side.

so shooting offhand, i like to shoot lefty with a rightie bolt, as i am steadier with my stronger arm for support. of course this means a little more adjustment on the follow up shots - which may cause you to unshoulder the rifle, or have to come over the top to cycle the bolt with a rightie bolt, of have to get off target to cycle it. but the idea is not to have any follow up shots, make the first one count.

for bench or prone with a rest / bipod, the opposite is true.

shooting from a bench or prone at a range with a bipod or other front rest, i don't have a problem going leftie or rightie using a right handed bolt, as i don't believe anyone would.

but i actually prefer using the right handed bolt in this position for hunting or a timed competition for a few reasons:

1. the rifle stays shouldered
2. manipulation of the bolt allows my trigger finger to stay close to the trigger area - i'm actually quicker this way. also i believe there is less movement.
3. better manipulation of the optics turrets (i know you can turn it 90 deg, but what about side focus models?).
4. better view and access of the ejection port to clear any jams, etc.
5. able to use the natural dominant eye.

if the dominant eye becomes a problem, just keep one eye open and the other closed, problem solved.

after 35+ years of shooting rightie bolts left handed, if there is a miss while hunting and a follow up shot is required i tend to "lockup" in the heat of the moment - sort of confused to what to do next with what hand, and where did that bolt go to? also depending on how you carry the rifle during hunting, that bolt can get "popped up", keep checking it. if the optic has "unlockable turrets", check them also.

in the end what ever is more comfortable and more in line to what you have already been doing for years to avoid yourself from "locking up", even for a fraction of a second on follow up shots.

i know clear as mud.

on the downslope years of my life, i'm too habitual using a right handed bolt and wouldn't change to a left sided one except for maybe a bench queen where i have time and patience to remember where the controls are. for hunting i definately want to keep a rightie bolt. if you have used rightie bolts before, and have gotten your routines to be second nature, stay with a rightie bolt.

if you are newer to shooting bolts and haven't used a rightie bolt much, going with the leftie bolt may be the way - but still, my preference is still be to use the rightie bolt for the 5 reasons above.

in addition, assess exactly what you are going to use the rifle for (target, hunting, or both). list the pros and cons of each for what you are using it for, and let the longer list of pros dictate the purchase of a leftie or rightie bolt.

one more comment .... being a lefty rifle shooter and using rightie rifles, LOVIN' TANG SAFETIES!

IMO your 22 rifle is the mot important rifle you own. I shoot mine more than any other rifles that I own. I spend more time with my 22 rifles than any other rifles. So IMO your 22 rifle is the wrong rifle to scrimp on. Buy a good high quality left hand bolt action 22 rifle and it will give you a lifetime of quality service. It really is that simple. And you will probably shoot it more than any other rifle you own.

I have a couple of Kimber of Oregon RF rifles. And I just picked up a new Cooper 57M. Take a good look at the Cooper's. Yes they are relatively expensive. But you will have a quality rifle for life. And over a lifetime you wil be glad you paid up for a top quality rifle.

Buy a good Leupold 3X9 with EFR and you will have as fine of a 22 scope as there is available. Tom.

020.jpg

019.jpg

025.jpg

Right handed, left eye dominant shooter with all long weapons. I find it easier to shoot LH weapons. (ar platforms are the exception but require eye protection).
I have shot LH weapons for the last 18 years and would not think twice about the choice. Plenty of options for the LH shooter now, and even more in the custom world. Remington, Savage, are two biggies with right and left song and short action offerings. AI, defiance, and stiller offer LH options as well. You will not be hindered with the LH option.