• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lefty CRF Defiance build

HessV10

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2020
Hi all. Long time reader but new poster. I’m planning on starting a new build in the next few months and I just wanted to gather some opinions on what everyone thought would be the right road to go. I have a FN SPR in .308 and it is one of my favorite rifles. However I am a collector of left handed firearms being left handed. I am attempting to some what replicate my SPR in lefty. I spoke with defiance and the claw extractor isn’t available at the moment but will be again soon. Adding a 3 pos safety and the claw extractor to the Rebel action is a decent replication of the SPR. My main question is I will be switching barrels occasionally and want to run mainly a SAUM or WSM cartridge as well as maybe a .308 or .260. Should I go with the defiance XM length action to get the extra length for hand loads on the short mag cartridges. Should I just run a short action, or even long action considering the m24 is a long action shooting short action cartridges and it gives me the option to jump up to a long action cartridge down the road if I’m inclined. My only concern with the XM action is the parts availability. Would the CRF help feed the short cartridges through a long action? I’ve been thinking on it for a while and am excited to get going. I want to hear everyone’s opinions as I want this to be a top notch build. I’m hoping this rifle will be the “one”. Until the next “one” comes along anyhow. :ROFLMAO:

The easiest option to switch barrels like you want is a Zermatt Arms Origin or TL3. Both are control round feed with a mechanical ejector. Bolt heads can be swapped for your magnum and standard cartridges. Shouldered pre-fit barrels can be ordered from lots of places. Both actions feed short cartridges better than just about anything on the market.

I run short action for 7 SAUM and you can get plenty of length with the non-binder mags to make the cartridges work well. I don't see the point in running a short mag in a long action. Might as well just run a full magnum cartridge at that point.

The Zermatt actions are not a great replica of your FN, but a great option for functionally accomplishing what you want.

Thanks for the response. I have considered the tl3 and actually the Mausingfield as well as it has a claw extractor. I also realize going defiance claw kills my ability to just buy shouldered prefits which is a big downside of attempting to replicate the FN so closely. I would probably have Robert Gradous spin the barrels for me as I live near him and he’s done excellent work for me before. Maybe i will reconsider the Tl3 as the bolt heads will be cheaper to swap than whole bolts from defiance as well. I might just settle on building a .308 on a CRF defiance just to have my lefty version of the FN and down the road build a SAUM switch barrel setup on a tl3. 7 SAUM is the one I’m considering as well so it’s good to know you can get the length out of your Short action.

Thanks for the response. I have considered the tl3 and actually the Mausingfield as well as it has a claw extractor. I also realize going defiance claw kills my ability to just buy shouldered prefits which is a big downside of attempting to replicate the FN so closely. I would probably have Robert Gradous spin the barrels for me as I live near him and he’s done excellent work for me before. Maybe i will reconsider the Tl3 as the bolt heads will be cheaper to swap than whole bolts from defiance as well. I might just settle on building a .308 on a CRF defiance just to have my lefty version of the FN and down the road build a SAUM switch barrel setup on a tl3. 7 SAUM is the one I’m considering as well so it’s good to know you can get the length out of your Short action.

I guess you hadn't heard that Robert had health problems the last couple months and passed away a couple weeks ago?

It was actually a week ago tomorrow.

Reactions: Qtip
No I definitely haven’t. I haven’t talked to him in a good while. That’s terrible news. We have definitely lost a wealth of knowledge with his passing. I remember him showing me a reloading setup and working up a load for my first 30-06 hunting rifle when I was a young kid. We tested it in his backyard range. I still have the rifle and load data. This is sad to hear.