• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns LEFTY Pistol suggestions? ?

HkPlinker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2007
MiSS
OK, I am a once a month shooter, right handed, but my left eye is my master eye. No matter what, I lean to the left hand shooting with rifle and handgun.

I have a chance to take a "real" tactical pistol course with a local state agency. I prefer and shoot a 9mm Browning HiPower for range fun, but can not (will not) tear it up and drop my mags in sand all week.

Call me a puss, but the HiPower stays at home.

I have almost decided on a Cz 85 Combat, based on the ambi functions and due to the fit, feel and the way the damn thing just points down range in my hand. I found the tactical holster with BladeTech from a cop buddy of mine.

Problem is, the gun just does not look to be a finished product. i read pleanty of good reviews.

Good gun or not? Thank you in advance.

Re: LEFTY Pistol suggestions? ?

Big CZs? I've always been turned off by their strange finishes and their controls, but lots of folks swear by them. I hear you on not beating up a keeper pistol.

I've heard a lot good things about CZ's. If you're comfortable with the feel it should make an excellent gun and I'd go for it.

Veer, I'm with you on the "lack" of finishes, but If I'm going to shoot 750 rds or more in a three day period, why not, that is why I will not destroy my HiPower.

This is a great course for a novice shooter like me. It's just hard for a paper target "killer" to invest in a complete rig for a weekend course and not follow up with it.

I have mainly bought, in the past, guns to shoot and sell for the next model I want to shoot. Buyinf a Cz is like buying an Audi. It's fun to drive, but you'll loose your ass when you're tired of it.

That is my main obstacle.

If you merely want transportation, you have wheels enough so that the principal members of the family with licenses can go in as many directions as they might need to at once. Think of firearms the way that someone with an obscene amount of garage space thinks about cars: if he acquires something and it doesn't grab him by the boo-boo, he can send it on down the road. If it does grab him by the boo-boo, he can give it a berth.

lefty_tested a .45acp CZ from the bench,kneeling,supported,adjustable iris google on left eye_italian"Fiocchi" 230grs.fmj ammo_at 25meters,destroyed 2" bullseye_ pistol leased at my local shooting club,therefore not exactly brand new..._not a pistol man,not a fan of east europe products,but this thing functioned flawlessly,ever_

Veer,
I get you. I have a love for cars, hince my yellow hood ornament.
I will get the Cz, shoot it and deside if I drop another $ 75 bucks for the Cz BladeTech Comp set up for my nice, new Bichani tactical belt I have had hanging on the wall for six weeks with my lack of decision making process cause I just don't like the Glock like everyone else.

Funny this all ended in one night of frustraton.

Ask me a question about a muscle car or a German sports car . . .

as a lefty ive used them all. The magazine release with most autos is actually easier for me to reach and use with my trigger finger then shifting my hand around to reach it with my thumb if i were a righty, I use the sling shot method so never use the slide release anyway.

seeing as you dont care for glocks id look in the direction of smith and wesson m&p it would be my choice if i could pick my own duty pistol and wanted a striker fired polymer type - and ive shot tens of thousands of rounds from glocks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HkPlinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, I am a once a month shooter, right handed, but my left eye is my master eye. No matter what, I lean to the left hand shooting with rifle and handgun.

I have a chance to take a "real" tactical pistol course with a local state agency. I prefer and shoot a 9mm Browning HiPower for range fun, but can not (will not) tear it up and drop my mags in sand all week.

Call me a puss, but the HiPower stays at home.

I have almost decided on a Cz 85 Combat, based on the ambi functions and due to the fit, feel and the way the damn thing just points down range in my hand. I found the tactical holster with BladeTech from a cop buddy of mine.

Problem is, the gun just does not look to be a finished product. i read pleanty of good reviews.

Good gun or not? Thank you in advance. </div></div>

I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you ever tried any of the FNH pistols FN-X and so forth. One of the few totally ambi factory pistols on the market.

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/commercial/handguns/fnx-series/

Honestly there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a Glock or M&P as a lefty. I've carried and shot almost everything on the market at one point or another as a southpaw, and very little of it posed any problem. With Glocks, adding the extended slide stop lever will significantly ease reloads, but if you're training using a slingshot method it doesn't even matter. Not to be mean, but it really sounds like you should spend more time learning how to use your trigger finger for secondary manipulations (decock, slide release, mag release) rather than trying to find a wundergun that incorporates everything into thumb-operated right-hand controls.

+1

If you're just looking for something to shoot for you're class pick up a used Glock or M&P use it for your class then sell it for the same you payed for it.

I'm a lefty, and use M&P pistols. they have slide-lock/release on both sides, and mag release can be swapped to either side.

duty carry is a Gen4 G22, and I have the mag release swapped. but I have a habit of using the slide-lock for release, and I lost this function.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... but I have a habit of using the slide-lock for release, and I lost this function. </div></div>

Get out of that habit now. You want to drop the slide from the back through gross motor skills, not trying to focus through adrenaline, etc. on hitting a switch that is suddenly a million times smaller and more difficult to operate.

check out FN I own an FNX 9mm and it works well for both hands as it is built ambi. slide locks are just that. a firmly seated mag in most pistols will send them forward. In a weak hand only situation this habit could lead to a very bad day!

I believe that the Springfield XDMs have ambi clip release but the trigger release is unilateral for right handers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... but I have a habit of using the slide-lock for release, and I lost this function. </div></div>

Get out of that habit now. You want to drop the slide from the back through gross motor skills, not trying to focus through adrenaline, etc. on hitting a switch that is suddenly a million times smaller and more difficult to operate. </div></div>

to each their own. magazine drop is a tiny button too.

I am trained enough with enough experience to utilize both.