• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lefty problem with righty Rem 700 - need help.

SPDSNYPR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2005
Oklahoma
I am teaching an upcoming sniper school, and have one of our newer members on the team (been on about 1.5 years, good shooter, former Marine Infantry, squared away) attending the class. All of our rifles are Rem 700Ps and are all right-handed. Well, this kid is a lefty. He's one of our better AR shooters (having just gotten out of the Corps and started with us a few weeks later).

Since the school was coming up, I was showing some of the guys the rifles on a break. Obviously our stock packs won't work for him - easy to get a lefty for him. But the safety issue will cause problems. We teach to have the weapon on safe until you have ID'd the target and have made the decision to shoot. For righties on a right bolt gun, this is simple. Either trigger or thumb of firing hand can reach up and snick off the safety. He can't.

Anyone out there teaching a technique that makes it easy for a righty to work the safety on a Rem while still maintain position? Is there an extension that makes it more accessible? Or is he just going to have to take his rear hand off the rear bag or out of the sling to operate it?

How to you teach your lefties (buying a lefty bolt gun this late is not an option).

Any help appreciated.

cheapest:buying another right-hand safety lever, try modifying it with some D.I.Y. extension until viable both for your student and your teaching methods, substituting the factory original_
[personally, I've never used safeties, on all my left (or right) rifles]_
how someone could properly operate bolt AND sling, still maintaining whatever position and w/out some funny hand-waving, from the wrong side, will remain an holy mistery,from me,as (self-taught) lefty_

Last edited:
Depending on grip size I just loosen my grip (left hand) some and use my thumb across the top of the bolt to do safety manipulation. However. I never do unless I'm on my public range. Too many numpties about doing silly/dangerous things to worry about AD's. In the field and out on my own the gun is always ready to fire. It's a lefty thing I guess.

Depending on grip size I just loosen my grip (left hand) some and use my thumb across the top of the bolt to do safety manipulation. However. I never do unless I'm on my public range. Too many numpties about doing silly/dangerous things to worry about AD's. In the field and out on my own the gun is always ready to fire. It's a lefty thing I guess.

I do the same. Most peoples hands should be big enough to reach over without shifting

As a lefty who shoots right hand rifles, I don't see the problem. I barely need to break form with my firing hand to manipulate my safety from on to off (the other way is a bit more effort). Yes, I do slightly and momentarily break position with my firing hand, but I do not lose sight picture or drastically affect NPA.

As a lefty who shoots right hand rifles, I don't see the problem. I barely need to break form with my firing hand to manipulate my safety from on to off (the other way is a bit more effort). Yes, I do slightly and momentarily break position with my firing hand, but I do not lose sight picture or drastically affect NPA.

I agree, a good sturdy rear bag helps in prone. He may have to handle it some to find a hand position that works for him. Fingertips along the centerline of the grip could help him extend his thumb onto the safety.
The issue I have is when I use positions other than prone. While trying to manipulate the bolt it is difficult to reach across your face without needing to settle back into position and breaking the cheek weld.
He should just try offhanded. Y'all might be surprised. I am a righty shooting a righty rifle left handed out of necessity due to vision problems. He may or may not have the same issue.

Last edited:
IMG959931.jpg

Our rifles are all in Mcrees chassis. A normal grip won't allow you to reach over the top and operate the safety. Shoulda mentioned that in the first place.

Why can he not use his right hand? That what I do. Never have to move cheek weld and the finger stays near the trigger. Other hand flicks the safty.

This becomes a problem when you're using both hands to hold the gun or are slung up. We don't just shoot prone with a rear rest. That's one of the positions, but with the rest of them it becomes problematic. Real world shooting positions are rarely prone, and I'm looking for any ideas on reducing fumble factor. We operate with the safety on by policy until it is time to shoot (target id, sights on target, decision made to fire). Since we often have people in front of the sniper positions on calls, safety stays on.

Well, now that is a bit of a different story... Nice looking rig.
IMG959931.jpg

Our rifles are all in Mcrees chassis. A normal grip won't allow you to reach over the top and operate the safety. Shoulda mentioned that in the first place.

Would it be acceptable to provide an exemption due to the equipment situation and have the lefty go thru the motions rather than actually engage the safety. I am a lefty and my bolt actions all have a thumb safety which is my preference. I can shoot a right hand action and owned a couple but shooting anything but prone will be problematic. He would probably better off shooting right handed if no exemption or left hand action is available. Here we have to assume he will be left eye dominant. Is it not possible to borrow a left hand action or for the trainee to bring his own equipment.

With that type of pistol grip stock would it be possible to have him keep his thumb over the stock to operate the safety and hold the grip with his ring and pinky finger? When he's ready to shoot he can operate the safety and then rotate his hand down to fully grip the weapon.

I can only state my experience being left handed with the m24 stock. Which can be done but sucks.

A call to a Regional Remington law enforcement rep might have a left hand 700P delivered quicker than you think. I gotta think they have a few floating around out there that are held back just for this very purpose. Not a bad idea to have one in the armory anyway. I wouldn't modify a agency rifle in any way that isn't tried and true and blessed by your higher ups. CYA
Or Im totally off base here. :)

Or call savage and get a model 10 series rifle...safety issue solved.

Jewel HVRSBR-A is bottom safety. It still doesn't solve the bolt cycling issues when firing unsupported or slung.
Great Scott has one. I even saw one on eBay with 7 hours left to bid. It was really expensive.

Last edited:
SPDSNYPR, send me a PM and I'll see if I can put my old LE HTR (2007 model) back together and get it to you somehow.

Now, where did I put those parts.....?

Update......everything located except the trigger, but I should have enough parts on hand to assemble one with a LH safety.

Rifle is a Left Hand HS Precision HTR, with 3 round DBM, .308Win. Badger rail. Barrel is threaded, and has the original HTR brake on it.

I PM'd you with my phone number, let me know if you need this and I will get it put together.

Last edited:

I'm a Lefty but I perfer to Load with my Right hand and I can still watch with my right eye to make sure it Feeds properly, Yet I can shoot just as well Left or Right Handed, I have never used a Left handed bolt Gun, I made a point of teaching my self to shoot both ways just incase, and I still practice it to this day,

To the OP, If he is happy to use a Right handed Rifle and it is Legal for him to do so then just let him get on with it because this is not the first time he has fired a RH Rifle.

john