• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lefty Rant....

I would think 10% of the population still equates to 10% of shooters, I can’t see why an equivalent population of left handed people wouldn’t be shooters. There’s a much higher population of leftys that there are trans people, they get so much attention while we don’t.

I just went with the Bergara HMR 6.5 for my new build. The options in the shooting world for leftys are better than they’ve ever been in the past. Gen 5 glocks are a game changer for me on fast reloads, Benelli and Mossberg make left hand eject shotguns, and the commercial grade rifle options seem better than ever.

I agree, I have an SBE 2 and love it. The Tikka and Bergara are both great rifles. I just wish that Bergara made a few more caliber choices and that Tikka used AI mags or long enough mags to accommodate a longer handload. Things are definitely going in the right direction though.

I’ll disagree because there are less women shooting than men and there’s more women in the population than men so there should be less than 10% LH shooters.

I worked for Mathews in the machine shop back in their big expansion/hay day and we didn’t make 10% of the bows in LH. It was considerably less.

I’ll disagree because there are less women shooting than men and there’s more women in the population than men so there should be less than 10% LH shooters.

I don’t see the logic unless statistically more women are left handed then men? Male or female, being left handed shouldn’t make anyone less likely to get into shooting sports.

I’m right handed, but left eye dominant. Until I was in my teens I couldn’t close my left eye only, because of that I’ve always shot lefty. Best thing that could have happened to me. I believe the naturally dominant eye should determine on which side you shoulder your rifle. I meet a lot of RH shooters that are left eye dominant, truly many don’t know which eye is dominant. If there were more LH options, I think there would be more LH shooters.

Left handed actions are not needed. If you are left handed just shoot a right handed gun. You should be used to the fact that everything is made for right handed people. I am left handed and up until about 2 years ago shot a right handed bolt gun left handed. I evrntually switched due to eye dominance. Now i can shoot ambidextrously which is a benefit when hunting. You dont HAVE to shoot left handed, its just what you are used to. You can change you just need to be open minded about it and try.

If it's available in Canada, it has to be available in the states. Might be top of your budget, but I don't doubt you would be happy with a Sako

Left handed actions are not needed. If you are left handed just shoot a right handed gun. You should be used to the fact that everything is made for right handed people. I am left handed and up until about 2 years ago shot a right handed bolt gun left handed. I evrntually switched due to eye dominance. Now i can shoot ambidextrously which is a benefit when hunting. You dont HAVE to shoot left handed, its just what you are used to. You can change you just need to be open minded about it and try.
Here is one of the best responses from a previous lefty thread.

I have several examples of rifles that have had catastrophic pressure spikes. Barrels launched down range, front receiver ring in 3 pieces, front receiver ring enlarged, stock shattered, etc. Everyone walked away essentially unscathed. The reason. They were not looking into the loading port. I have a few target rifles with dual ports. They will be my last.

Given a choice I would never ever use a rifle where I was looking into the loading port at the ass end of bomb.

Left handed actions are not needed. If you are left handed just shoot a right handed gun. You should be used to the fact that everything is made for right handed people. ....
You dont HAVE to shoot left handed, its just what you are used to. You can change you just need to be open minded about it and try.

Here is a perfect response that somebody said with that same mindset.
... This conversation is so funny, because it only happens in one direction. The RH shooters never talk about the merits of the LH bolt action, only leftys shooting right-hand.

It’s a large disadvantage. Almost or actually hitting yourself in the nose while cycling the bolt, doesn’t exactly help establish cheek weld discipline.

How about that thumb on the improvised “support” hand? You know the one on the stock’s wrist as you support your rifle, yeah that one is right in the bolts pathway. I still have a scar from the time I carried a RH Weatherby Mark V on a PA whitetail hunt.

Or how about all those firing side muscles you’re tensing and contracting to pull the maneuver off? Yeah, those are the exact muscles that all those precision shooting instructors are trying to get you to totally relax as part of your recoil management and follow-through training.

We don’t even need to talk about the “benefits” of having your eyes protected by the port instead of steel... It’s full of real disadvantages (chuckle).

Is it impossible? Not at all, but neither is using your feet.

Can a talented rifleman nearly completely close the gap on a less talented shooter using better equipment? Yes, but no one is going to be that much more talented than the rest of the best. At some point it will prevent you from doing your best.

If my rifle were issued to me, would I rework my software to utilize my hardware? Without question or complaint.

Would I BUY myself a RH rifle? Never have, never will.

Do I think it can, in certain forms of shooting, be acceptable, or even beneficial? Yes, I also think that in those disciplines it’s best to not touch your rifle. If you’re into that, get a RH bolt and drive on.

It’s your money, do what you want. You’ll surely find other leftys that have adapted. But take note of how very very few leftys started with LH bolt guns, only to later discover the advantages of RH bolts and make the change. Hint: It’s the same as the number of RH shooters rocking LH bolts.

Here is a perfect response that somebody said with that same mindset.

Very well said and hit the nail on the head.

No need to go into my background but I'm no stranger to weapons and the benefits of training, consistency and comfort / confidence with a given platform.

I'll find or build a platform. I appreciate the feedback and responses. I value others insight and the experience levels on here are valuable. Thank you for all that have given direction.

Reactions: LeftyJason
I often thought about starting a lefty precision shop but the amount of options and wants people have today Id easily have 50k in inventory and probably wouldn't even make enough in sales profit monthly to make it worth my while.

Reactions: Wags
I will admit my comment only applies to bolt guns. If you are shooting AR left handed you need a left handed upper. After shooting a right handed AR as a lefty I had burn marks on my cheek and a cartridge somehow made its way down the back of my shirt. I can still hear the sizzle as it was pinned between my shirt and my skin. Another reason why I shoot right handed now.

Reactions: Wags
^ I had a Stag Arms 7H 6.8 SPC AR15 I shot lefty. I just put a shell deflector on. I also lined it with felt so it didn’t dent the casings. Boom. Problem solved.

I will admit my comment only applies to bolt guns. If you are shooting AR left handed you need a left handed upper. After shooting a right handed AR as a lefty I had burn marks on my cheek and a cartridge somehow made its way down the back of my shirt. I can still hear the sizzle as it was pinned between my shirt and my skin. Another reason why I shoot right handed now.

Been there myself, it sucks. While I'll never switch to shooting righty or use a right handed gun again at least you understand the struggle. :ROFLMAO:

^ I had a Stag Arms 7H 6.8 SPC AR15 I shot lefty. I just put a shell deflector on. I also lined it with felt so it didn’t dent the casings. Boom. Problem solved.

I never really had a brass issue as much as a gas and powder burn issue, at least not from my own rifle. I did burn my right eye badly, as well as my face a few times. The burns were mostly while shooting RH shotguns. I done see the reason in chancing it now when I can just buy a lefty Benelli or Berreta. I personally don't worry about the AR. I haven't fired one since I turned in my M4.

After hearing bighorn may be coming out with a lefty Origin long action and Defiance may have a Tenacity long action I think I'll wait a bit.... I e mailed both companies to confirm. If that's the case I'll start buying all the rest of the parts now so it's ready to slap together.

I never really had a brass issue as much as a gas and powder burn issue, at least not from my own rifle. I did burn my right eye badly, as well as my face a few times. The burns were mostly while shooting RH shotguns. I done see the reason in chancing it now when I can just buy a lefty Benelli or Berreta. I personally don't worry about the AR. I haven't fired one since I turned in my M4.

After hearing bighorn may be coming out with a lefty Origin long action and Defiance may have a Tenacity long action I think I'll wait a bit.... I e mailed both companies to confirm. If that's the case I'll start buying all the rest of the parts now so it's ready to slap together.

Yeah a shotgun is a different story lol. I’ve fired one left handed but it was a pump, and I was shooting clays in a group of 5 others so it’s just one shot at a time. So I just shot lefty, and then ejected the shell righty.

Yeah a shotgun is a different story lol. I’ve fired one left handed but it was a pump, and I was shooting clays in a group of 5 others so it’s just one shot at a time. So I just shot lefty, and then ejected the shell righty.

With regards to shotguns, my dad found me a lefty Remington 1100 12 ga when I was 12, from then on that was the only semi auto shotgun I used. When I was post college dad found me a lefty Benelli M1 Field. About 5 years ago I purchased myself a lefty Benelli Montefeltro. I can shoot right handed shotguns too, but there are issues. I’m eyeballing a lefty Mossberg 590A1 right now, I don’t really need it as I’ve never had issues with a right handed pump, but I do want it as a host for my Salvo. I’d need to send it out for choke threading and probably an action job and forcing cone massaging while I’m at it.

With regards to shotguns, my dad found me a lefty Remington 1100 12 ga when I was 12, from then on that was the only semi auto shotgun I used. When I was post college dad found me a lefty Benelli M1 Field. About 5 years ago I purchased myself a lefty Benelli Montefeltro. I can shoot right handed shotguns too, but there are issues. I’m eyeballing a lefty Mossberg 590A1 right now, I don’t really need it as I’ve never had issues with a right handed pump, but I do want it as a host for my Salvo. I’d need to send it out for choke threading and probably an action job and forcing cone massaging while I’m at it.

I love that monte, I shot Skeet and Sporting Clay's competitively for years and mostly with a RH gun. That said I always had eye protection on at the range. Hunting was a different story, I got burned a lot from unburned powder. Plus manipulating the safety on certain brands was a bitch.

Once I got my first lefty SBE I've never looked back. I'll never own a RH shotgun again.

Best thing that's happened to me shooting left handed is that my boy also turned out to be left eye dominant too. That lucky sucker will never have to buy a rifle his whole life, but he probably will. I hear this disease is hereditary.

Reactions: Wags and 0dd
10 rounds offhand righty with righty action at 25 yards (22lr).

Then 5 rounds lefty with same rifle offhand at 25 yards.

It’s good to be ambi ? (although I primarily shoot lefty cause I’m mostly shooting bench or prone)

E006B7F9-D65C-4451-91A2-7681FA1BFA45.jpeg
330AF5D4-5969-4A97-8533-EE92C884A211.jpeg
0CB38FF1-34EA-4EB0-BA42-972DFD8E0C6C.jpeg