• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lefty shooting RH guns

Re: Lefty shooting RH guns

I'm a lefty shooting on a right handed gun and I'm left eye dominant. I have a Rem 700 AAC-SD in an AICS 2.0 chassis. What I like is how quickly I can manipulate the bolt with my right hand while keeping my left hand trigger finger close to the trigger for faster shots. This is great when I can use the monopod and not have to adjust it up and down like I do with rear bags. On the flip side, what I don't like is having to always move my right hand from stabilizing the rear of the gun on bags thus moving the reticle if I am on a softer surface.

I shoot bench and prone only so the only problem I listed isn't too big of a deal. But if I were to do a competition or hunt there is not way I would feel comfortable shooting right handed. I've tried it and its just awkward. I would absolutely have to have a lefty gun because manipulating the bolt on a right handed gun while I'm shooting it lefty style is not even possible for me.

I think with practice a LH bolt is best for a LH shooter. Most all of us probably started on RH bolts, and thus our initial affinity to them and thinking we are quicker with them. With that said:

A left hand rifle allows you to sling up and still run the bolt in any position.

You can probably build a stronger and faster prone position shooting a left hand bolt. Because your support hand and elbow you're resting on never move. You should simply be raising your hand and/or finger(s) to cycle the bolt while keeping your head on the gun. That hand on the trigger is about as close to the bolt as can be. If you're moving your support hand up to the bolt it's probably traveling a further distance. I'm not saying it's not fast as I can run a RH bolt very fast too. It's been a while since I did some 600 yard plate races with a RH rifle and faired ok but I think my position doesn't stay as consistent.

I've seen Right handers that can absolutely smoke their right handed bolts....can you keep up with them? If they can do it RH, why can't we do it LH?

If you need to look into the action it's pretty simple to cant the rifle a bit.

Just playing devil's advocate as some points may be more valid than others. Ultimately you have to choose what is most comfortable for you given your various shooting engagements.

BTW, the manners stocks are quite ambi. My MSC-GAT fits LH and RH's.

The downside with the lefty rifle, is that there are only a few models out there offered as a lefty without having to custom build the action, at least from what i've noticed. if you want to save money and are already comfortable shooting a righty go with a righty, but if you want to spend a little bit extra and get a lefty, then thats the best way to go. the point people have previously stated in what kind of shooting you are going to do is also very important. as a lefty starting to get into the LR world. i decided i'd just do it the right way and get a left handed rifle. the stock rifle was only a couple hundred more but it was definitely worth it.

aside from that, most people wont want to try and shoot it also haha

DSCF0443.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0051</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if you are right handed but left eye dominant? </div></div>

Really .......
Which side you shoot from has nothing to with your hands,
which eye is dominate determines what side you shoot from.

When you adapt your equipment to suit you vs adapting your self to your equipment things tend to work better.

If there was an advantage to running bolt on wrong side then most guns would be running bolt on left side for right side shooters ... but this is not the case

Personally i will not own a right hand bolt gun
your $$ do as you plz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DubGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if I'm resurrecting an old thread, but this is an issue for me too. I'm a lefty that's shot RH firearms my entire life. I just recently picked up a RH Savage 10FCP-K in 308. This is my first bolt gun. So far its ok, but I prefer to shoot seated as its too much a pain to cycle the bolt and get repositioned when prone. I know that shooting prone is preferred for accuracy, but I can't maintain a cheek weld and cycle the bolt. I'm considering swapping to a LH version of the same rifle. </div></div>

There's the FLCP-K in .308
I almost ordered one if there wasnt a looooong wait on them here in Oz when i went to get them. Regardless, i was in the same bolt. Righty rifles felt just plain wrong, never turned back from my first lefty...

I tormented for weeks over the FLCP-K vs FCP-K decision. Ultimately I got the righty based on the fact that I've always shot righty guns, althoug admittedly few have been bolt rifles. Also figured that finding parts and resale value would be better if I got a righty. I might be regretting the decision though.