• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Legality of hicap mag "parts kits" to a ban state?

chainring

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2008
TEXAS
Fella asked if I'd break down some hicap mags into parts kits to ship him in New York. Sounds iffy? I got too much on the line to play with fire. Whatchall think?

Re: Legality of hicap mag "parts kits" to a ban state?

Depends. Here in Kalifornia parts are not considered mags so they are GTG. You'd have to check NY pc's to know for certain.

Don't be a fool. If you are breaking a mag down into parts, then shipping the parts, are you not then also shipping a mag?

Ship pieces/parts separately

I would not recommend it, while technically it might be legal, should it ever end up being questioned you are screwed, it would be different if you were only shipping one part, say mag bodies, or springs, followers, but when you are shipping what can easily be constructed into a full mag.

Now if I lived in one of those commie states and had to buy mags that way I might take the chance, but I'd never want to be on the seller end of that game.

I have been asked this question on a couple occasions when selling mags and while I see people do it, including some retail outfits, my response has always been "No. I'm sorry but I can't help you."

While the sale of "repair kits" to ban states is done to REPAIR EXISTING, DAMAGED, LEGALLY OWNED MAGAZINES IN THE POSSESSION OF THE OWNER, I don't honestly know that's what they are actually being used for and thus, I won't be a party to a possible violation of the law. Now, if 44mag or some other retail establishment wants to engage in that conduct and assume any potential liability for the transaction...so be it. Just ain't gonna be me.

Here is one example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.44mag.com/product/high_capacity_magazine_repair_kits/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fella asked if I'd break down some hicap mags into parts kits to ship him in New York. Sounds iffy? I got too much on the line to play with fire. Whatchall think? </div></div>
What parts did he want ? A spring and follower or a complete mag unassembled ?

It's perfectly legal to ship a mag 'parts kit' to NY, Cali, etc. It's on the buyer to be legal or not.

As in, buyer uses parts to make 10 round mag = okay
Buyer uses parts to repair old mag = okay
Buyer uses parts to add an additional mag to his collection = not okay

Basically, the law is largely unenforceable and only comes into play when someone crosses state lines to buy hicaps at a gun show & bring them back to his/her "ban" state.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> California DOJ says you're fine.</div></div>That's not how I read that.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basically, the law is largely unenforceable and only comes into play when someone crosses state lines to buy hicaps at a gun show & bring them back to his/her "ban" state.</div></div>Graham's Rule #1 applies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> California DOJ says you're fine.</div></div>That's not how I read that.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basically, the law is largely unenforceable and only comes into play when someone crosses state lines to buy hicaps at a gun show & bring them back to his/her "ban" state.</div></div>Graham's Rule #1 applies. </div></div>
Who cares what you think, here in califonia rebuild kit are legal. You can even buy then in local stores here, you can also order them for some online stores too.

The law might change soon but until then they are legal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who cares what you think, here in califonia rebuild kit are legal. You can even buy then in local stores here, you can also order them for some online stores too.

The law might change soon but until then they are legal. </div></div>

It's good to see you have so many options because I'm not sticking my neck out for a situation that is, at a minimum, a gray area.

Insofar as pmags are concerned, as they were first brought to market 2007 you would be hard pressed to demonstrate that there use in whole or in part complies with a law concerning magazines manufactured before 2000.

I'm from New York...

Very bad idea. We have to pay BS premium for pre-ban mags. There's a reason. AR mags 30 rd in crp condition go for almost $30, AK mags are $20. Nice unissued AR mags go $40+, for old metal 30's. Even 10 round mags here cost more than most of you pay for 20 & 30's.

Don't do it. I don't know what consequences there are by association, but even tampering with a mags floor plate to achieve 1 round over the maximum is a serious offense. I would not get involved in that beurocracy. On the losing side here, even if there was some small loophole someone was able to find its not worth risking the consequences. Current times would be even more difficult to challenge or argue ones finding.

Being a magazine sounds small, but it falls under the same category as everything else, and is treated as so. It's as nit picky here as if one was found ghetto rigging some barely working homemade silencer for their 22lr here to sound like a BB gun. They would be in the same trouble. Can't argue that it's assembled here or was shipped as just pieces of plastic or metal.

It does get a little gray to others sometimes as their are a number of things we can legally order, posses, use... But only in a certain combination. Most vendors don't want to deal with it. We can have telescoping stocks, muzzle brakes and similar items.. Only if we remove other "evil" features or pin/weld them etc.. There are a lot of those scenarios and some choices. But many of which are only illegal when used in combination with other things.
*Magazines do not fall in that gray area*

It no fun, but that's how it goes-

Why-Fear-Mongering-1024x690.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who cares what you think, here in califonia rebuild kit are legal. You can even buy then in local stores here, you can also order them for some online stores too.</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Insofar as pmags are concerned, as they were first brought to market 2007 you would be hard pressed to demonstrate that there use in whole or in part complies with a law concerning magazines manufactured before 2000. </div></div>Exactly.

Besides, Glock24 cares what I think; and I care what he thinks. It's not your fault that you don't know that - but it is equally reckless to comment about it.

NY law is actually mags made before 1994, Cali is mags 2000 or older. The cali law differs in that you can literally replace an old, worn out mag with a new mag. You just can't end up with more than you started with. NY it sounds like they are anal about the magazine body.

A relative of mine lives in NY and according to him vendors at gun shows are selling Pmags openly, disassembled and complete. So it probably depends on where you live in NY and whether or not the local LE is pro gun or anti gun.

Really sad that in the "land of the free" we have to be paranoid about where we ship a spring-loaded plastic box...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Really sad that in the "land of the free" we have to be paranoid about where we ship a spring-loaded plastic box...

</div></div>

THAT is for damn sure.

I live in New York as well
Do not do it!
The owner here WILL be charged with a Class D Felony and When he gives your name up, you will be on a list that causes your Balls to be broken
ALL FOR WHAT
HAPPY NEW YEAR