• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Legality question

Unknown

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
Pacific Northwest,USA
If a suppressor is registered as one caliber (let's use either .243 or .224) is it illegal to shoot a different caliber through the suppressor? Obviously, the .224 bullets would go through the .243 suppressor, but if a .224 suppressor's baffles had holes large enough to safely shoot a .243 bullet through it, would shooting different diameter bullets through a suppressor be a problem?

Would it be illegal to enlarge the holes in baffles to allow larger diameter bullets to be used?

Are there suppressors designed to allow the end user to change baffles, or would that be prohibited?

Just get a SilencerCo hybrid and shoot just about everything you want through it.

My buddy had a some baffle strikes, and I had heard that he can't just clean them out or replace the damaged baffles. Does he need to send it back to the manufacturer? the can is OK, just buggered baffles. I told him I didn't think he could simply replace baffles with new ones on his own...or enlarge them... I guess I heard right.

He can not do it. Manufacturer can. Unless it is some kind of solvent trap BS. If so then GTFO, you don't want to be associated with that in any way shape or form.

Last edited:
Reactions: HansohnBrothers
Many folks purchase.30 cal suppressors just so they can do what you’re asking. A .30 cal allows one to shoot .223, .243. .260,.308, .300WM if it’s approved for their can.
This method provides tons of diversity, and the sound difference isn’t huge when firing a .223 through a .30 cal hole.

No the caliber ratings are simply there so you know what you can/can't run through the can. Remember, you can put small projectiles through a bigger hole all day, but only a big projectile through a smaller hole once.

Can the manufacturer replace baffles with baffles having larger diameter holes and still be legal, or is a suppressor forever limited to the caliber (and lesser calibers) that is on the form from BATFE?? Staying legal IS a concern...

His BATFE form says .224, but the holes in the baffles are about .265..so it would seem like he might be able to shoot .243 through it. So I would think that in theory, without modifying the baffles he might be able to shoot .243, but as noted above, if it doesn't work, he may well end up with his baffles all going downrange.

According to NFA branch of BATF you cannot change the caliber of the suppressor without someone paying the tax. Also according them drilling the baffles out is changing the caliber. They got tired of guys taking 223 cans and drilling them out so they could shoot 30 cal or boring 9mm cans out to 45. There is a ruling or a letter to FFL's from some years back specifically stating that. The manufacturer can modify the can or repair it as long as it changes the length by less than 20% shorter. You can't modify the bore diameter to change caliber without filing a new form 2 to register and then transferring it back to the owner tax paid. They want their money.

On the other hand there is no regulation stating that you cannot shoot a smaller diameter bullet through a larger caliber can. So what most do is buy the can for the largest rifle or pistol they want to shoot and then run it on everything. Works fine and the losses or perceived losses due to the larger bore through the baffles is minimal. I run my 6.5 X 47 L through my 338 Lapua can all the time and it sounds great. I've run 223 through the same suppressor and its quieter than the 223 suppressor meant for that rifle. The larger can has more volume and that helps reduce the noise.

As for running 243 through your 223 can....it may work fine and the chances of anyone questioning you about the difference in bore is minimal. I have no idea on legality there. I do know we used to shoot 9mm through a 223 can made by a company that built the 223 suppressor for machinegun use. It had a generous bore in the baffles because 223 is wobbly enough out the muzzle as it is, when things get hot the wobble gets worse. Same goes for short barrels, lots of wobble and baffle strikes are common so bigger bores for shorties and MGs. That allowed the can to be used with 9mm subguns and it works very well. Is it legal? No idea anymore. It was when we bought the cans back in the late 90s'.

Frank

At this point, I'm just going to tell him to contact the manufacturer.

I did find something interesting in that a suppressor made for a 5.56 rifle didn't do much at all to quiet down a 22 long rifle (Ruger 10-22). When asked why it didn't seem to help the 22 long rifle, the manufacturer said that it was designed for the 5.56 round, and the 22 long rifle just didn't build enough pressure to get the gasses flowing in the direction the baffles were designed for. I have no idea about suppressor building requirements and had previously thought that anything on the muzzle would quiet it down. I was there when he tried it out and the noise reduction for the 22 long rifle was barely noticeable..but there was a wee bit difference. The sound difference was like going from a 22 long rifle to a 22 long rifle from 20 yards away.

Many suppressors use the baffles to create turbulence to slow the gasses down and allow them time to cool. Some of these designs need high pressure gas in greater volume in order to make things work. The baffles redirect the gas so that it flows across its own path in order to create interference in the flow. When you put this sort of suppressor on a firearm with very low gas volume and pressure it won't work as efficiently. I think most of the suppressors that are very small for caliber will fit into that catagory. The truth is that they were never intended to work on the 22 cal and only by reducing their efficiency for the intended cal would make them.

It is also true that many 223 cans out there work very well on 22 LR because they have much more internal volume than the LR cans normally do. But even so the ballistic crack of the bullet when fired at full velocity from a rifle will be as loud as the unsuppressed gunshot. No suppressor will quiet that portion of the noise so it could simply be a case of the bullet making enough noise to make the suppressor seem useless.
Something to look at in any case.

Frank