• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Legion Firearms...hex barrel

magic647

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2010
NY
Barrel_16_Hex-3.jpg

just saw a pic of Legion Firearm's new hex cut barrel...tacticool or useful? anyone used anything like this? they also make a ball milled barrel similar to KAC's

i know they claim lighter weight and increased barrel cooling due to increased surface area, but is that weight reduction or cooling time really that significant?

Re: Legion Firearms...hex barrel

Seems like a dirt/dust magnet, but it looks cool as hell.

Tacticool and nothing more. You could argue that it has more surface area to aid in cooling, but unless you're running the thing full auto I don't see an advantage. Looks different, that's for sure...

<span style="font-style: italic">If</span> there is any functional improvement over other types of fluting, in terms of rigidity for a given weight, I'm assuming it's very small. Surface area may indeed be higher than other types of flutes, but if the thermal management is the goal, removing mass is itself counterproductive.

This is not to say I don't want it.
laugh.gif

High speed low drag mall ninja all the way or go home...........

Sure looks neat, but I imagine the machining required to do that really drives up the price. I guess it all depends on what you want the additional machining to do. For aesthetics, the barrel shown is really neat.

But before I decided on the type of fluting or machining to either reduce weight, add stiffness, aid cooling, I would like to see some kind of independent testing to see exactly what (if anything) the different types of barrel treatment or fluting can accomplish.

Weight reduction doesn't require any testing, just tale the weight before and after machining. As to aiding cooling, adding stiffness, etc. I would like to see some actual independent testing to "show me" what the treatment does.

It looks cool and futuristic. It must cost a ton with all that machine work though. It looks more tacticool than practical IMHO. Cool though, thanks for sharing.

Hey, here's an idea. Why don't they make the hex cuts in varying SAE and metric sizes? Now you have a barrel that doubles as a Craftsman wrench!Tool Time Tim would love it and Red Jacket could market it as a "game changa'"! LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, here's an idea. Why don't they make the hex cuts in varying SAE and metric sizes? Now you have a barrel that doubles as a Craftsman wrench!Tool Time Tim would love it and Red Jacket could market it as a "game changa'"! LOL </div></div>

I'll take mine in 5/8"...Awesome
smile.gif

I think its $479 which is outrageous for a non-match barrel. Legion definitely has some "cool" looking stuff, don't know how it can be better, but definitely cool looking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BLDTYLRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, here's an idea. Why don't they make the hex cuts in varying SAE and metric sizes? Now you have a barrel that doubles as a Craftsman wrench!Tool Time Tim would love it and Red Jacket could market it as a "game changa'"! LOL </div></div>

I'll take mine in 5/8"...Awesome
smile.gif
</div></div>
Yeah, the original combat rifle/muti-tool combination! I'd love to see the snaggle-tooth daughter do a demo with unscrewing her new fake tooth while she's knawing on the barrel!