• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Leica 1600b - Im impressed!

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    Before my Leica, I came from a bushnell 800 range finder..... They should have called it a 400....thats the max it would reliably range and the most ive ever seen was in the 600s.

Fast forward to last week when I received my 1600b. Wow. Glass is clear, but that's not the big deal. The big deal is they under promised and over delivered!

I've tried it out ( not on targets yet, just objects on mountain sides) a couple times now and it's been stunning. Absolutely anything at 1200 and under it will do. From then till 1600 it will do almost anything, but you might have to try a time or two. From 1600-1900 it ranges reliably as well but depends strongly on what your ranging. It seems like some stuff it will range in the 1800s every try but other stuff it won't do no matter how many tries.

The highest reading I got was 1999. This was along with very many 1990s. I tried and I tried but I couldn't break 2000? I figured it is capped at less than 2000. Anyone ever get anything higher?

Well long story short, if you have been on the fence about upgrading your rangefinder and getting a Leica.... DO IT

Last edited:
    looking to uprage my lrf 1200,did you try the 1600 on game or yote? if it could range reliably a boar at 800 meters it will be perfect for my need!

looking to uprage my lrf 1200,did you try the 1600 on game or yote? if it could range reliably a boar at 800 meters it will be perfect for my need!
    I don't have any experiencing ranging game with it, and I'm sure someone will step in that does and tell you.

However I can't see why it would have trouble ranging anything at 800. I'm not sure if I have ever had it not range something on the first time at under 1000

I have one and my findings are about the same. A couple days ago i ranged a deer blind off hand across a snow field over 1000yds away. Very happy with mine. I upgraded from a leupold RX IV. Which they should have named the RX POS.

Ranged and shot at a mile target yesterday with absolutely no problem. Must be right on because it was within 5 yards of my friends swarovski rangefinders, and I had a cold bore hit!

This is on a bright sunny day, so not 'good' ranging conditions.

The only issue I can see with it is how big the middle box is. It would be nice for them to put a dot or something in the center. When your aiming at a small target that far away, it kinda floats around in the big box, so a dot would be a nice reference.

Overall I'm just happy they underpriced and over delivered. It seems like many companies are doing the opposite these days. Bushnell would have probably called them 2400's!

Last edited:
    Not much fog in Az i imagine ;) I am a huge leica slut, but throw fog in there and they take a crap, even 700 yards becomes a pain. Terrapin for the win.

Not much fog in Az i imagine ;) I am a huge leica slut, but throw fog in there and they take a crap, even 700 yards becomes a pain. Terrapin for the win.

I guess I never considered fog! Haven't seen it in too long, for it to be on my Mind haha

I see you are in AZ so you may not know, but for anyone - how does it do with:

-low contrast objects
    - rain
    - fog

I have had a 1200 for years and these have been the weak links.

TIA

I have used one a few times comparing to my terrapin and Leica 1200. It beats the 1200 out pretty good. It is a step up no doubt. I think its a great LFR for a lot of situations for its size and the way you use it. I wouldn't feel its best for deer in our part of the country (flat lands) past 500ish though in real grassy areas. Lighting changed the performance here and there and when it was good lighting the thing was awesome. I was having hard time with some steel past 500 in all lighting. Hillside hunters have it made in this area. The terrapin is great in ALL weather. But nonetheless, I really do want one and might try to sell my 1200 to get one. Some may think that the comparision between the 2 starts at 1200 yds, nope. It starts at like 400. Leica did this one right.

1999 is the highest number that these will read. Do you have yours setup on a tripod for the further distance readings?

Are you asking me or telling me that 1999 is the highest number?

It was offhand, but with my elbows on a table. It wasn't tripod steady, but it was nice and steady.

Last edited:
    The longest distance I have tried out of mine is 1400 yards, and it was a small water tower in 100% bight sunshine conditions.

700 yards in foggy condition on a Russian boar. 850 yards on a deer in overcast conditions.

But to the OPs point...this is a GREAT RF for the money IMO. Especially given the fact I will probably never take a shot over 700-800 yards...EVER. So the Leica has plenty of HP leftover for my hunting needs.

Are you asking me or telling me that 1999 is the highest number?

It was offhand, but with my elbows on a table. It wasn't tripod steady, but it was nice and steady.

I was telling you that they won't read higher than 1999. Those reading that you are getting are very good, my 1600B won't read past 15-1600 doing similar readings.

I was telling you that they won't read higher than 1999. Those reading that you are getting are very good, my 1600B won't read past 15-1600 doing similar readings.

Gotcha, that's what I figured.

Yesterday I went on a hike and for the top of the mountain I Ranged things in the ground out too 1997,but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get into the 2k mark. So it must be built in not to recognize over 2k

I had trouble getting mine to range a cow past 1000 yards, Im only 25 but holy shit do I shake like Michael Fox trying to range something that far. I bought the CRF holder from Midway for my tripod, ranged a cow at 1867 over and over without any trouble! Highly reccommend it if you want to really push that thing but shake like a chihuahua. I was really surprised how fast you can get on target and consistantly push it out past 1000 with a tripod!

Gotcha, that's what I figured.

Yesterday I went on a hike and for the top of the mountain I Ranged things in the ground out too 1997,but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get into the 2k mark. So it must be built in not to recognize over 2k

I'd really like to buy one of these Leica 1600 range finders. Does anyone know of a place with a lower price tag? Thanks!

I'm going to look at one today a Mile High. They also have a sale on the Bush 12x Fusion ARC 1600 so I'm going to compare the two and take one home with me.

Last edited:
    I got a reading of 2004 on mine once. I used to think it would max out at 1999. This was a water tower at dusk bagged on the hood of my truck. Not very practical, but yes, it will go that far. Ranging a 6'X6' target at 1,000 yards takes a couple of tries to do offhand. Boars at 800 is possible in the right conditions, but it might take a few tries to get it to range correctly. You get the dreaded "---" a lot, but if you get a reading, you can pretty much bank it. This is one of the advantages over the Arc, which will get you a reading more often, but the number can be wrong.

This is a great summary review, but does not include the Leica 1600, only the binos:
    Rangefinder Binoculars Reviews & Field Tests: Overall Results Summary | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

BTW... I traded in my Leica 1600 for a Terrapin, but there are times that I miss the higher magnification and ergonomics of the Leica. Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining about the clearly superior ranging capability of the Terrapin, but the Leica 1600 is a sweet piece of kit.

After looking at the Bush Arc 12x and the Leica 1600b.
    Looking at the Arc I found the readout was not crisp and would fade out based on the direction I was ranging. It was an overcast day so I'm not sure how it would perform on a full sunny afternoon. Ranged a McDonalds sign at 623 and a building at 1018. Took a few tries but not sure I was pushing the buttons correctly.

Next the Leica and the readout was very sharp bright and pronounced. Read the same objects with fewer tries and came up with 593 and 987.

Will go go back to Mike high and look during bright conditions first before I make a choice.

BTW great people at Mile High and very helpful.

I got a reading of 2004 on mine once. I used to think it would max out at 1999. This was a water tower at dusk bagged on the hood of my truck. Not very practical, but yes, it will go that far. Ranging a 6'X6' target at 1,000 yards takes a couple of tries to do offhand. Boars at 800 is possible in the right conditions, but it might take a few tries to get it to range correctly. You get the dreaded "---" a lot, but if you get a reading, you can pretty much bank it. This is one of the advantages over the Arc, which will get you a reading more often, but the number can be wrong.

This is a great summary review, but does not include the Leica 1600, only the binos:
    Rangefinder Binoculars Reviews & Field Tests: Overall Results Summary | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

BTW... I traded in my Leica 1600 for a Terrapin, but there are times that I miss the higher magnification and ergonomics of the Leica. Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining about the clearly superior ranging capability of the Terrapin, but the Leica 1600 is a sweet piece of kit.

Well then my quest for 2000+ continues haha

I'm wondering if there's some variation in the 'effectivness' of the Leica 's that got put out. Seems like some people have troubles while for me steel at a mile was absolutely no problem. I probably Ranged it 6 times, got an answer 4 of the times and they were all very close to each other. This wasn't even in a tripod, simply put it sideways on top of my rifles turrets to help steady it.

My only complaint is how big the box is. I wish there was a small dot in the middle, or something like that, to signify that this is what your aiming at.

I just picked one of these up from MIle High. I haven't had the chance to "wring" it out yet, but I'm really glad to see all the praises. I studied LRFs for months before making the purchase, and I found it mind boggling. We're it not for my champagne taste and PBR budget I would have gone with theTerrapin. I think this will do all I need and more.

If one decides to go this route, I was more than pleased with MHS price, shipping, and comms.

Well then my quest for 2000+ continues haha

I'm wondering if there's some variation in the 'effectivness' of the Leica 's that got put out. Seems like some people have troubles while for me steel at a mile was absolutely no problem. I probably Ranged it 6 times, got an answer 4 of the times and they were all very close to each other. This wasn't even in a tripod, simply put it sideways on top of my rifles turrets to help steady it.

My only complaint is how big the box is. I wish there was a small dot in the middle, or something like that, to signify that this is what your aiming at.
    I

For what its worth, I got the hd-b binos and was not overly impressed at first.
    also have the Terrapin, so I have a pretty good side by side. I talked to Hamilton
    at leica in regard to the "aim box" he gave me a great tip. Range a stop sign at whatever
    distance with different sides of the box and see what side it favors. And it will
    favor right left top or bottom. I ran the ballistic program in mine last week.
    pretty impressed with actual dope. Really got them for comps. As the Terrapin
    falls short on the magnification end. The Bushnell 1 mile binos are pretty
    Damn good for the cabbage.

I

For what its worth, I got the hd-b binos and was not overly impressed at first.
    also have the Terrapin, so I have a pretty good side by side. I talked to Hamilton
    at leica in regard to the "aim box" he gave me a great tip. Range a stop sign at whatever
    distance with different sides of the box and see what side it favors. And it will
    favor right left top or bottom. I ran the ballistic program in mine last week.
    pretty impressed with actual dope. Really got them for comps. As the Terrapin
    falls short on the magnification end. The Bushnell 1 mile binos are pretty
    Damn good for the cabbage.

Good idea, I'll have to do something similar to see which part of the box is its 'center'

I agree 100% - these are great RF's for the money. I ranged a distant hilltop from my house 2 days ago at 1780 meters. Nice idea on using a small target taking several readings at different points of aim in the larg-ish box to find its sweet spot. Will have to try that out as it may make getting readings easier on something smaller at distance.

I have ranged several larger objects at 1900+ previously as well. Havent read anything over 2k yet....but do I need to? Nah. If I get good enough to need to range things beyond 2k then I'll look into a better one, but I think this one will keep me happy for quite some time.

Last edited:
    Farthest I've ever gotten was 1,929 yards on a tree line. I'm down here Mississippi And the weather is usually full of humidity and moisture. So my usual range to be positively accurate is about 1300 yards plus or minus. Ihave trouble at 975 yards hitting a 24 x 24" ar 500 plate if I don't have a steady hold. But as long as there is a good reflection often targeted object I usually get a reading