• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica 2400 R

catorres1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
For you guys wanting a very basic RF from Leica that can still reach out, the newest R series RF was announced today. Works just like a Sig 2200...LOS distance and angle modified (EHR) distance....ranges out to 2400 yards, displays EHR to 1200, also good for bow hunters. Leaves any other ballistic work to other devices.

Basically a stripped down 2700, but with 300 yards less power, it gets the other qualities that make it a Leica (glass, ranging performance etc). It's an updated 1600 R, so improvements beyond the 50% increase in ranging power include the newer display, more granular returns below 200, and faster scan of the 2700, while doing away with the weather capabilities and corresponding internal ballistic solving beyond angle compensation.

Most of us (me included) want more ballistic capabilities, but I know some folks do not, particularly bow hunters, but others as well have said they want to have Leica glass and ranging, but someone else's solver at a lower price. This is that, and a competitor to Sig's 2200 offerings, not the 2400 series. Comes in at a 500 retail.

At that price point thats a hell of a unit! I love my 2700 but I don't use / need the ballistics at all. Just curious, Is the beam divergence the same as the 2700?

Here is Leica's Press release:

Leica Rangemaster CRF 2400-R
17862eea-96fb-4fe2-a210-a6fa39f7ab65_600x432.jpg

Revolutionize scouting with Leica’s newest handheld laser rangefinder

Class-leading measuring for just $499

Now it’s possible to range that elusive buck from an even greater distance thanks to Leica’s new

Rangemaster CRF 2400-R which measures up to an astonishing 2,400 yards (2,200 meters).

Compared with its predecessor, Leica has added an additional 800 yards (731 meters) to the unit’s measuring capability. This provides superior usability to hunters spotting game and long-range shooters checking targets. The handheld laser rangefinder offers a newly designed LED display which increases precise readability of scanned distances and ballistic data.

Another remarkable feature is the extremely fast scan mode, which takes measurements every 0.5 seconds. Up to a measuring distance of 200 yards (182 meters) the unit provides the results in decimal figures to 0.1 yard, enabling even more precise distance measurement, especially for bowhunters.

The Leica Rangemaster CRF 2400-R also determines the equivalent horizontal range (EHR) relevant for hunting up to a distance of 1,200 yards (1,097 meters) when required. With this feature the unit provides the practical angle-compensated distance, which is essential for an accurate long-distance shot.

Thanks to its compact design it fits easily into any pocket – weighing just 6.5 ounces (185 grams). The outstanding optics with a 7x magnification ensures the best image brightness and a wide field of view.

The Leica Rangemaster CRF 2400-R is available in Leica Stores and at retailers in late September 2018.

Selling Price: $499.00

If we can assist you with one please give us a call, 516-217-1000.
Leica is expecting these to begin arriving in the next couple of weeks

Reactions: Stpilot12
At that price point thats a hell of a unit! I love my 2700 but I don't use / need the ballistics at all. Just curious, Is the beam divergence the same as the 2700?
Yeah, IIRC, beam divergence is the same. Should be a great unit for those not wanting the ballistic bells and whistles.

Any dealers have an update on these? Leica's website says retailers should have them in July, but that obviously was not the case.

Edit: Just read the post above says September, nevermind :)

Reactions: Olen_4504
Just got off the phone with the head of Leica Sports Optics and he confirms 1st week in September
Awesome, thanks Doug. Looks like I’ll be getting both some meopta binos and a rangefinder from you soon.

7 power is its weakest link. Sig at 8 as are higher priced units such as the X.

Guess it depends on how much 1x mag is worth to you with both of those being twice and almost 4 times the price respectively. i find that Leica's glass more than makes up the 1x when compared to the SIG.

edit: seems sigs are also 7x

Last edited:
Reactions: FF05 and Gil P.
The new Sig's have some great stuff in them, no doubt. The two way pairing with the Kestrel make the 2400 BDX my favorite in terms of workflow, at least theoretically, as I don't have one.

That said, they are 7x, just as the Leicas are..glass in the BDX is the same as in the ABS, so to my eyes, Leica gets the nod on that matchup. But good choices all 'round!

Reactions: Patty
This is the year of the LRF... So many good choices now. I love my Leicas for performance and glass, I really dont care about frills like internal ballistics. I use a garmin 701 backed up with a kestrel. Really it just comes down to get what works for you.

This is the year of the LRF... So many good choices now. I love my Leicas for performance and glass, I really dont care about frills like internal ballistics. I use a garmin 701 backed up with a kestrel. Really it just comes down to get what works for you.

Agreed, when the Leica 2700 came out i was bummed at their choice to include the Ballistics and the 800$ price tag reflecting that. I use a Kestrel for ballistics and dont find fiddling with a rangefinder is as elegant a solution. Was stoked to see Leica hadn't forgot about us guys that just want a rangefinder that ranges.

Now if rangefinding Binos would catch on so i could just carry one, that would be great.

@gr8fuldoug Do you have any additional info on the 2700 vs the 2400, with regard to rangefinding performance only? I see there is a 300 yard difference in claimed capabilities. How similar or different are the internals, if we don’t want the ballistic functions of the 2700?

Yeah.. Ive never played with the binos, dont know much about them other than the $$$$ :oops:

For spotting, they are the tits. ill never go back to a spotting scope inside 1100 yards. Optical quality is directly related to how you'll feel about them for that purpose though. Currently the Bino market is limited in what you can get that meets the cut for spotting, and the Bino/rangefinder market is even worse. No one i know of is making a high quality 15x rangefinder/bino combo, with both great glass a great range capability. If someone can tackle this in the $1500-2000 price range, it will sell like hot cakes.

@gr8fuldoug Do you have any additional info on the 2700 vs the 2400, with regard to rangefinding performance only? I see there is a 300 yard difference in claimed capabilities. How similar or different are the internals, if we don’t want the ballistic functions of the 2700?
I reached out to my Leica tech guru and he replied:
"They can expect the same great, reliable ranging performance up to 2400 yards with both units. The 2700 B obviously adds 300 yards more ranging and ballistic capability along with programmability via the microSD card , but for simple ranging out to 2400 yards, they should work identically. The chassis, optics, and class 1 eye safe laser are the same. The sensors, software, and programmability are the difference. I hope this helps! "

I’m not overly thrilled with the 2700b. It really struggles to get 2000 yards in good conditions off a tripod aimed at a barn.Maybe I got a dud. This is the first Leica i’v Had which won’t do what they claim.

I had a hard time getting the 2700b to work beyond 1850 yards no matter how big the target and how good the conditions.

Canuck,

If you are testing in ideal conditions, off a tripod and can barely get 2k off a barn, there is something wrong. I would recommend you reach out to Leica on that. The 2700b will do a whole lot better than that, not just my unit, but units from several folks I have talked to. Hand held, in good conditions, I have hit an oblique stop sign at over 2300 IIRC, trees to about 2800.

Were I you, I would definitely be putting a call into Leica and start a conversation. Or, depending where and when you bought it, just go for a swap. But the performance you describe is way out of line for what folks are generally seeing.

This looks like a great unit. What are you guys expecting to see as practical ranging distance on game? How far have earlier models been able to consistently hit deer and elk?

Haven’t seen any elk yet, but with the 2700 ranged deer at 1200, cows at 1 mile. Farther than I would ever attempt to shoot....

Stupid question, are these threaded on the bottom? I look on Eurooptic and Lecia's website and didn't see any images from below or anything in specs saying yes or no. I also didn't see an accessory to do so.

Did some preliminary testing today, won’t be at the range until this weekend but I did take it out to a hill in town and range various objects and tree tops in the distance. It consistently returned leafy tree tops up to 2289 yards, and every distance below that. I don’t know if that’s great, I’ve never tested rangefinders on trees. It ranged every sign, building, object I could point it at, farthest I find anything small ish was a light post about 745 yards away. No issues, it was clear and very sunny.

Interesting... the 2700 is 1.2x.5 Figured they would be the same, guess not

I am not totally convinced they aren't the same. i'm wondering if they share the exact same owners manual because in the 2400 manual it says it provides ballistic solutions and it definitely does not.

I am not totally convinced they aren't the same. i'm wondering if they share the exact same owners manual because in the 2400 manual it says it provides ballistic solutions and it definitely does not.

What's more interesting still is what you find on the site:
Laser beam divergence approx. 0.5 x 2.5 mrad

That's why I was surprised to see the above data in the manual.

http://us.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics-Old-2/Leica-Hunting/Rangefinders/Leica-Rangemaster/Range

What's more interesting still is what you find on the site:
Laser beam divergence approx. 0.5 x 2.5 mrad

That's why I was surprised to see the above data in the manual.

http://us.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics-Old-2/Leica-Hunting/Rangefinders/Leica-Rangemaster/Range

I guess you could have a buddy push the buttons and shoot it at a marked grid to confirm the beams angular patertern. I never worried about the size being in spec just aligned.

By comparison, the 2700 looks very small about the size my Terrapin did and the Sig looks huge on my back yard fence.

I guess you could have a buddy push the buttons and shoot it at a marked grid to confirm the beams angular patertern. I never worried about the size being in spec just aligned.

By comparison, the 2700 looks very small about the size my Terrapin did and the Sig looks huge on my back yard fence.
Yeah, I think youre right Jim.. If I remember correctly the Terrapin is 1.2x.4

Reactions: Diver160651
Yeah, I think youre right Jim.. If I remember correctly the Terrapin is 1.2x.4
I don't have mine anymore - I got nervous and sold it back when ITAR made the repairs an issue. I guess I can record the SIG and the 2700 and show what they look like on here one night.

Were I really struggle with the Sig is anywhere you need to range thru a loop (mainly trees), or next to something along the sight line (usually brush), but a lot of other things also cause issues. The guys set the course of fire very realistic in Corvile and my Sig I brought, hated it.. I was guessing a lot and didn't even see the entire COF.

I don't have mine anymore - I got nervous and sold it back when ITAR made the repairs an issue. I guess I can record the SIG and the 2700 and show what they look like on here one night.

Were I really struggle with the Sig is anywhere you need to range thru a loop (mainly trees), or next to something along the sight line (usually brush), but a lot of other things also cause issues. The guys set the course of fire very realistic in Corvile and my Sig I brought, hated it.. I was guessing a lot and didn't even see the entire COF.

Thats where that smaller beam really shines. Sage brush and trees are murder on a LRF trying to read a 1 or 2 moa target at distance. The 1.5x1.5 beam on the sig makes it a pain in the ASS!.

Reactions: Diver160651
Think I’m going to pick one of these up if I can find a good deal somewhere, seems like a nice simple rf

Does the 2400 give atmospheric data like the 1600-B?

No, the RF's in Leica's 'R' series work just like regular Sig kilos etc. They do not have onboard weather stations, nor do they offer ballistic solutions. They display line of site distance and angle modified distance. The user can then use the solver of their choice for a ballistic solution. That's why they come in at a lower price point vs the 'B' series models.