• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica Calonox Site…When is the damn 640x480 thermal sensor coming??

Quixotical.22

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2021
New Hampshire
I looked at the Leica thermal products…the Site and the View models; and I like the product and pricing…for my fox and coyote needs.

The View Model has a current generation 640x480 sensor in it, and performs famously. The Site model, intended as an objective mounted clip-on thermal device comes with an older generation 384x288 thermal sensor. It doesn’t make sense to me that for two years now…the weapons mounted system has a degraded thermal sensor it. I know they have software installed in it that refines the image, but I‘m not going to spend that amount of coin on an older gen sensor with significantly less I have 320x240 on my iPhone adapter, I want something better on rifle! I was hoping that Leica would step up to the plate and announce an enhanced model at the Shot Show last week….but nothing but crickets.

Does anyone have an idea why Leica…would bring to market a rifle mounted system with a limped-down thermal sensor. Any rummors of a sku refresh with current product thermal sensors. My coyotes and foxes really want to know? Thanks for your thoughts and insights…

I spoke with my Leica tech rep and he said:
"The sensor used, similar to the Micron size on the Sight, is to optimize for the magnification in the Day optic or scope. This was intentional. The “optics train” which is the scope connected to the Clip on thermal, works best with this sensor and pixel size combination."

Not that it matters much, but this thermal device will be used on ZCO scopes and 6.5 CM and 300 Blackout bolt guns.
If I read the spec sheet right my 5 x 25 power scope might have to much magnification 4x or less magnification. I've been waiting for it since Sept. 2020 .

If I read the spec sheet right my 5 x 25 power scope might have to much magnification 4x or less magnification. I've been waiting for it since Sept. 2020 .
Thank you for catching that major fact! Can’t believe I missed it. Yes, the higher the magnification, the more pixelation washes out the viewed image. Magnifying a 320x240 image with a 5x scope would be a mistake for sure. Guess I’ll have to buy another scope, or settle on a dedicated thermal.

I spoke with my Leica tech rep and he said:
"The sensor used, similar to the Micron size on the Sight, is to optimize for the magnification in the Day optic or scope. This was intentional. The “optics train” which is the scope connected to the Clip on thermal, works best with this sensor and pixel size combination."
That make complete sense…thank you for engaging the rep. Not sure my direction at this point, but I’ll surly let you know if decide on the Leica. BTW….do you have any in stock that I can demo?

Thank you for catching that major fact! Can’t believe I missed it. Yes, the higher the magnification, the more pixelation washes out the viewed image. Magnifying a 320x240 image with a 5x scope would be a mistake for sure. Guess I’ll have to buy another scope, or settle on a dedicated thermal.
Hopefully they re-engineer it for us market an acouple other things. Like battery life.

For a comparison, it appears to have the exact same optical dimensions as the Hogster-C, a 9deg horizontal field of view with 388px. Even the screen resolution and refresh rate is a match. I wouldn’t be surprised if these just had a Leica shell wrapped around them…
I’d look up reviews of the Hogster-C to see if you’d still be interested if it’s a competitive price. Plenty of folks happy with them. You may be paying a $750 premium for the Leica badging.