• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica geovid 3200.com ranging abilities

ScarlettRed

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2017
Colorado
For those of you with the 3200.com, how far can you expect to range with regularity. Compare with a sig 3000. I'm torn between some options as I would like the great glass but also performance. The sig sounds great but not sure I would like the glass for big game. I also want precision readings on prairie dogs. I'm starting to envision a bandolier of scopes, bino's and rangefinders around my neck.

I have a good buddy that was using his to range a mule deer at 1600 today

Edit:his were 3000s sorry

I'm really torn between the HD-R 2700 and the 3200.coms. $1k price difference would buy a set of Sig 3000 bdx's as well. I wonder what the practical difference in performance is between the leica models above. (not including kestrel interface).

Mostly the interface. Glass and laser are the same. You might get more range out of the 3200. Check the specs.

Get the Leica. Only complaints have been some connectivity issues but I think by and large it's not an issue. The glass is top tier and the laser is the best commercially available with maybe the exception of the Terrapin. But I believe they use the same laser or at least have the same specs. The newest Terrapins may be different.

TL/DR Get the Leica. You won't be disappointed.

Reactions: 338LMAI
I have the Leica 3000's in 10x42 and they are very good at ranging - better than the Swarovski EL by far for ranging. I've ranged man sized steel with the Leicas at over 1000 yards in perhaps the worst conditions (pouring down rain, low visibility) when other shooters could not get a reading at all. I've ranged larger targets over a mile away.

So the LRF on it is good, but the other big thing you are paying for on the Leica is the glass. I have a pair of Swarovski 10x42's (no laser) that I would consider the benchmark for world class binocular glass - edge to edge clarity, good low light performance, etc... I've compared the Swaros against my Leica in a variety of conditions, and they are very comparable, which means the Leica's have world class glass.

I've not played with the 2700's but they look similar to the 3000's on paper and for $1000 off probably a good value.

Personally I don't put much value in having a bunch of digital connectivity, as I mostly shoot old school using a detailed shooting log, dope chart and a spotter. Put the $1000 into ammo or a good long range course instead. Good glass and a solid range reading are important to me - and the Leica's deliver that (including angle adjusted range).

I tend to agree with you. I have a buddy with 2700R's who loves his. They are very pleasant to look through. I'm just hoping I wouldn't leave anything on the table by not upgrading. I'm mostly wondering what real world ranging difference there is. I'd like a powerful reliable laser bino with great glass. I'm not sure if I would miss the kestrel interface. I wouldn't use it for hunting. Dope cards are way quicker.

New price with .mil discount direct from Leica. Just wanted to know if the local vendors can beat it or is it a take my money now situation.

I have the 8-56 3200com, traded in my 3000HDB for it.

The leica app is neat, alot easier than the memorycard function on the HDB.

The binocular itself is so good it amazes med even after having it for allmost a year..

I would jump at that price in a heartbeat. I got mine for $2634+tax. Absolutely love em. I've ranged out to almost 3600y.

I have the 8-56 3200com, traded in my 3000HDB for it.

The leica app is neat, alot easier than the memorycard function on the HDB.

The binocular itself is so good it amazes med even after having it for allmost a year..
You got the ones I want--the 56mm OBJ--was your 3000HD-B a 56? If not can you notice the brightness factor all day or only diurnally? One last question; do you think the 56 effects/affects the ranging different than the 42mm? (If you had the latter...)

You got the ones I want--the 56mm OBJ--was your 3000HD-B a 56? If not can you notice the brightness factor all day or only diurnally? One last question; do you think the 56 effects/affects the ranging different than the 42mm? (If you had the latter...)

The HB-B was also 8-56, traded it to get the bluetooth connectivity.

I got the 56 because I use it alot in the mountains during winter, not much daylight.
So far I am very happy with the performance in low light conditions, but should be mentioned that most of my previous binos have been alot smaller.

Here in the Arctic I can hunt at night--as long as no artificial light, NV, or Thermal isn't used--so in falltime, especially in late August early September it's still light enough to hunt up to 10 and sometimes 11 at night. However, thats twilight and if its raining, cloudy, or snowing visability is cut considerably. On the trapline in winter there are three or four days in December that the sun doesn't rise at all, but dusk and dawn here is the longest in the world, but again it's "compromised light" hence if possible I'd get the 56mm OBJs. Right now there's only the 8x56 3200.com and the last I knew there's no plan to offer the 10x56. The former has the largest exit pupil the human eye can use--7--as does a 6x42 scope, 9x63, etc. So I'm wondering if the 10x42--given its great bright Leica glass--would suffice or should I go with the 8x56...