• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Leica Geovid Pro 10x32

Gentleman4561

Luke Crawford - Jawbone Media
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Cumming, GA
jbonemedia.com
Quite impressed by these so far. The glass is by far the best glass I have ever seen in LRF binos.

Successfully lazed things out to 1800 yards.

Interface with the Kestrel meter and HUD was very easy to set up. I used the RRS cinch (cheaper polymer one) to mount to my tripod, and it worked great)

Bino setup is pretty simple and easier to do in the app, but doing it via the binos is still not bad.

The only thing that is a bit of a hassle is that the Geovids come out of the box with "Applied Ballistics Ultralight", which neuters the ballistic corrections provided by the binos to 875 yards (this is due to European laws not allowing ballistic solvers to provide solutions beyond 800 meters). The binos will of course laze past 875, but out of the box they will not give you an elevation call.

This can be solved in two ways, one is via an in-app upgrade of $150 that gives you the full Applied Ballistics (Which provides ballistic solutions out to 5,000 meters). Leica did this to get around EU laws, as you are essentially loading US-made software onto the system, not EU-made software.

The alternative is to have the binos linked to your Kestrel with AB, when connected to the kestrel, they provide elevation calls at any distance you can laze.

All in all, very nice piece of kit!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attachments

• IMG_9701.JPG
    IMG_9701.JPG
    312.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_9723.JPG
    IMG_9723.JPG
    373.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_9724.JPG
    IMG_9724.JPG
    309.6 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_9725.JPG
    IMG_9725.JPG
    589.7 KB · Views: 160
Yep, they're great binos. Just be aware that if they have to be sent in for repairs or warranty service, they have to back to Germany.
My 15x Geovids just got back from a 5 month vacation there.

Quite impressed by these so far. The glass is by far the best glass I have ever seen in LRF binos.

Successfully lazed things out to 1800 yards.

Interface with the Kestrel meter and HUD was very easy to set up. I used the RRS cinch (cheaper polymer one) to mount to my tripod, and it worked great)

Bino setup is pretty simple and easier to do in the app, but doing it via the binos is still not bad.

The only thing that is a bit of a hassle is that the Geovids come out of the box with "Applied Ballistics Ultralight", which neuters the ballistic corrections provided by the binos to 875 yards (this is due to European laws not allowing ballistic solvers to provide solutions beyond 800 meters). The binos will of course laze past 875, but out of the box they will not give you an elevation call.

This can be solved in two ways, one is via an in-app upgrade of $150 that gives you the full Applied Ballistics (Which provides ballistic solutions out to 5,000 meters). Leica did this to get around EU laws, as you are essentially loading US-made software onto the system, not EU-made software.

The alternative is to have the binos linked to your Kestrel with AB, when connected to the kestrel, they provide elevation calls at any distance you can laze.

All in all, very nice piece of kit!

The Euro reg thing… makes sense, but now curious how Swaro gets around it with EL Range?

Could you tell me more about what info is automatically switched back and forth in the viewing screen? Ballistics data, etc.

The Euro reg thing… makes sense, but now curious how Swaro gets around it with EL Range?
The Swaros I have seen do not provide ballistic solutions beyond 800M. They continue to provide range further but don't provide drop and windage solutions beyond 800m. Perhaps this has changed since I last spoke to their reps a few years ago but I am not aware of it.

Jason Baney’s video… time 9:49
He keeps changing things through the app. Can that not be done on the bino? Also, it’s odd you can’t just see corrected angle, compass direction, wind and elevation dope all on the same screen.

My 3200.com went tits up at an NRL Hunter match back in April. The following day was given a prepaid UPS call tag and off they went. I mentioned I was attending the NRL 22 National Championship match Labor Day weekend. Had a brand new pair delivered just before that weekend.

Now, my new Pro's are the bomb! 10 meter connectivity vs 18" for the 3200.com's. Everything about them is phenomenal! Intuitive. Quick. Super clear, crisp, contrast. Lighter. Killed a muley buck last weekend at 588 yds using them. All the while filming the event through the Pro's onto my cell phone using a ScopeCamAdapter. I glass/film off the Two Vets "The Ruck" LW tripod, RRS Anvil 30 head and the Leica bino strap mount.

Attachments

• Leica Pro RRS Kestrel The Ruck.jpg
    Leica Pro RRS Kestrel The Ruck.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: Gentleman4561
Here’s a question for you. Can the Leica/Kestrel/HUD combo do this:
  1. Wind meter is on a tripod behind me somewhere and I’m sitting on a swivel table shooting pdogs
  2. I find the target with LRF binos and range it
  3. Some sort of display tells me the elevation and wind hold for that DoF. ex. on a phone, a HUD or in the LRF bino’s readout
  4. I shoot
  5. I rotate my swivel bench 100° do the same dance without getting up to recalibrate anything (like DoF)
The whole system, at all times, knows which way I am facing and which way the wind is blowing in relation to me with zero to minimum amount of device twiddling.

Here’s a question for you. Can the Leica/Kestrel/HUD combo do this:
  1. Wind meter is on a tripod behind me somewhere and I’m sitting on a swivel table shooting pdogs
  2. I find the target with LRF binos and range it
  3. Some sort of display tells me the elevation and wind hold for that DoF. ex. on a phone, a HUD or in the LRF bino’s readout
  4. I shoot
  5. I rotate my swivel bench 100° do the same dance without getting up to recalibrate anything (like DoF)
The whole system, at all times, knows which way I am facing and which way the wind is blowing in relation to me with zero to minimum amount of device twiddling.
vectronix plrf25c -> kestrel -> hud ?

vectronix plrf25c -> kestrel -> hud ?
I know the Kestrel + HUD + Terrapin X combo in fact works in the way I described; not sure about the plrf25c (or are they the same unit?).

Near the bottom of the first post of this thread I‘ve listed what the solutions I’ve dug up thus far (with varying levels of “idealness”).

I do know the Sig 10k will NOT work the way I want it, which is a shame.

But I cannot quite suss out if the other two LRF bino manufacturers + Kestrel would do what I want (Vortex Fury AB and the Leicas).

Hence my question to the OP. The Kestrel can pass? (& receive?) the wind direction/DOF to/from the LRF somehow, but how does each LRF unit integrate that info, how many button presses, app display or in-bino display, etc…The devil is in the details. A call to Kestrel yielded nothing, really.

@BigJimFish is going to look into it when he tours some plant/software corp. Just hoping for some other feedback. At this point I’m curious and not sure it would all worth it, as then we’re approaching the crazy fish sonar-level of “sport.” That’s why I haven’t called Vortex or Leica yet.

If all I have to do is push one button on my reclining lawn chair and my rail guns swivels, radar locates pdog, ranges, reads wind, and shoots said pdog, yawn…and if that happens over the internet so I shoot from the comfort of my own home…1000x yawn.

I think I’m talking myself out of the whole pursuit lol.

Helpful links for background:
https://kestrelballistics.com/compare-laser-range-finders (look for the “Transmits DoF” row)

At this point I’m curious and not sure it would all worth it, as then we’re approaching the crazy fish sonar-level of “sport.” That’s why I haven’t called Vortex or Leica yet.

If all I have to do is push one button on my reclining lawn chair and my rail guns swivels, radar locates pdog, ranges, reads wind, and shoots said pdog, yawn…and if that happens over the internet so I shoot from the comfort of my own home…1000x yawn.

I think I’m talking myself out of the whole pursuit lol.
Funny you mention over the internet. I do remember reading an article a few years ago about a Texas company that planned on offering hunts over the internet where you just pointed and clicked to fire the rifle. I suspect it never happened. Imagine the liability on that.

Back to your plans on integrating a weather station and LRF binos with full DoF and wind hold communication. Even if you find a combination of products that does this, you are over estimating the value of an automatic instantaneous wind call based on just the momentary value at the shooter. The wind at the shooter and the average between the shooter and target are not the same. This is probably why few products seem eager to integrate this even though it clearly wouldn't be difficult to do.

What most of the folks I have seen using a wind meter are typically doing is determining the range of values the wind is moving within. They take this range of values, and the direction they are seeing and integrate this with what they see in the terrain. If they have prior experience with how the wind behaves on this particular range (or data from other shooters before them) they add in these super valuable pieces of information. Lastly, at the line they pay attention to where if the wind seems to be within it's range and go with that value. I just don't think you will find the information your looking for alone all that helpful in making a great wind call.

Of course, handheld Doppler wind reading units are certainly not far in the future. The Trijicon Ventus for instance has been discussed a bit on here and several folks have seen the prototypes. It is supposed to read the wind to 500 meters. I have also been told of others working on similar tech. In theory, such tech would actually do what your looking for entirely and successfully.

Reactions: carbonbased
Thanks for the reply @BigJimFish

Pdog shooting is a lot about speed as the buggers disappear like in a Whack-A-Mole game. I think that’s lost on some steel shooters here.

For me, the whole point of the LRF/Kestrel/DoF integration is speed to estimated firing solution, not reading the wind at the target more accurately. I understand the latter is all about experience reading mirage and looking at the downrange wind signals etc. and I don’t expect any improvement in those areas with the LRF<DoF>Kestrel integration.

Previously, I just guessed wind speed, looked at my simple dope card I had hand copied out of Strelok and held for elevation/wind with a xmas tree reticle.

Next year’s pdog hunt, I’ll probably have a Kestrel to help me estimate wind more accurately. I’ll check it before shooting at each location and put it away. Then, as I’m now learning more about the Gun MPH, jack masters wind rose, and aerodynamic jump, I’ll have a way better dope chart. Might even fucking dial for elevation lol!

But all that takes time (wind rose calc, looking at the dope chart, dialing). I can just see their little beady eyes laughing at me! Ducking down their holes right when I’m ready to fire! Mwahahahah!

Me in my basement

These new workflows and tools I’m learning now will just help me get a more accurate solution, not a faster one. In fact, it’ll be a bit slower.

The LRF<DoF>Kestrel thing could be way faster.

One thing to keep in mind is the pdog fields tend to be flat flat flat and the wind doesn’t (I think) have quite as much variability as in, say, the mountains. And I’m not shooting a trophy elk here haha, missing due to a wind call isn’t a big deal. I mean, the targets are so small, move so much, stay still not long, are relatively distant, with gusty strong winds all over that blown wind calls are a given.

Sorry for the pun.

But really, I should just step back and enjoy the (manual) journey vs. trying to Bassmaster Sonar 5000 my hobby, and concentrate upon other, more impt things in life.

It’s hard, though. Can’t help myself! Must. Restrain. Optimization. Lol

Last edited:
Been searching for the same solution. I have the Kestrel and HUD. One problem I see, granted this is speculation because I'm still lacking a rangefinder that will link with Kestrel, is the Kestrel will only connect via Bluetooth to one thing at a time. So, HUD or rangefinder not both. What am I missing?

Edit: found it. Screenshot from kestrelinstruments website; HUD FAQ section.
Screenshot_20221105-203250.png

Last edited:
Earlier this year, running both my Kestrel 5700 Elite and HUD together, I could take a wind and weather reading and it would automatically populate to my HUD. During the NRL22 Nationals there was a COF with 10 different targets; all at different ranges and angles to the wind. The HUD gave me all 10 dopes to include wind; on one screen.

Now, on to the buck and cow I shot last week and 3 weeks ago. I get set up at my Hide, take weather along with wind/direction. Bluetooth to my Geovid Pro's and BAM, I point the Pro's in any direction and immediately (1 second or less) get dope and wind. If while sitting in my Hide I feel the wind speed and/or direction change or the temp changes, I take another set on the Kestrel and it populate to the Pro's. I can even drop the bluetooth and the values will stay in the Pro's until I reconnect; which takes 2 seconds when I turn the Pro's on. I do believe one can bluetooth the Pro and Kestrel and HUD combination at the same time as the Kestrel will only BT with one at a time.

Earlier this year, running both my Kestrel 5700 Elite and HUD together, I could take a wind and weather reading and it would automatically populate to my HUD. During the NRL22 Nationals there was a COF with 10 different targets; all at different ranges and angles to the wind. The HUD gave me all 10 dopes to include wind; on one screen.

Now, on to the buck and cow I shot last week and 3 weeks ago. I get set up at my Hide, take weather along with wind/direction. Bluetooth to my Geovid Pro's and BAM, I point the Pro's in any direction and immediately (1 second or less) get dope and wind. If while sitting in my Hide I feel the wind speed and/or direction change or the temp changes, I take another set on the Kestrel and it populate to the Pro's. I can even drop the bluetooth and the values will stay in the Pro's until I reconnect; which takes 2 seconds when I turn the Pro's on. I do believe one can bluetooth the Pro and Kestrel and HUD combination at the same time as the Kestrel will only BT with one at a time.
Ok, thanks! But see below.

Bluetooth to my Geovid Pro's and BAM, I point the Pro's in any direction and immediately (1 second or less) get dope and wind. If while sitting in my Hide I feel the wind speed and/or direction change or the temp changes, I take another set on the Kestrel and it populate to the Pro's.
What exact steps do you perform? These micro steps are what are missing from a lot of discussion.

Before I start a hunt I run through the compass calibration steps with both the Kestrel and Pro's. When I feel the time is right, before I start hiking, once I get set up at a hide or if I feel the weather (temps, wind, direction) change I take a wind reading (direction and speed). I "lock" the weather on the Kestrel if the unit will be close to my body or in direct sunlight, giving the Kestrel false temps. The Pro's will likely be on top of my tripod and they too can get a false "high temp" if in the sunlight for long. I've seem reading 20+ degrees higher than ambient when left in the sun. If the Kestrel will be protected from sunlight and my body head, I have no issue leaving the environment in "Live". Every time I take a wind reading the last reading is what the Pro's will use. I make sure the Pro is set to the following "US" instead of "EU". "Ball"(ballistic) under the DOPE reading. This is the dope info which bluetoothed to the Pro from my cell phone. Under BT (bluetooth) I make sure it's set to "on", not "off". The brightness is set to 1 through 5; your choice. Last is AOFF which basically how long do you want the bluetooth to remain connected; 1, 3 or 5 minutes. These past few weeks I left it on "1" minute to conserve battery life. I leave the Kestrel's bluetooth in the "on" mode too. It too will go dormant when not in use. If the Kestrel turns itself off simply hitting the power button the Pro will "NOT" turn the Kestrel on. Once you turn the Kestrel on it takes more than the nominal 2 seconds to bluetooth both together. When I take a range, I push the main/top button to turn on the unit. If you're actually watching the aiming circle, it's rotating clockwise for up to 2 seconds at which point the bluetooth connects and their is a solid bluetooth signal in both the Pro's right lens and on the Kestrel. This remains connected for 1 minute; my preset time. Any time during that minute I take a range and within 1 second it starts spitting out, 1st, range, drop, then wind call. It repeats all 3 for a second go round. Each shows for 2 seconds. Range, dope, wind, range, dope, wind. 6 seconds total. After a minute the bluetooth goes dormant and the battery life is preserved. My first weekend, with the setting at 5 minutes I blew through a battery in 1.5 days. Once I figured it out I didn't need to change the battery for the past two weekends. Not sure how much life is left on the current battery. I hear some people complain about battery life on some of these new, modern, toys. Well, I look at it as putting gas in the tank, running tire rubber low and shooting out a barrel's life; it's all part of the cost to play.

If you don't have a Kestrel or don't want to run them together. I can set the wind through the buttons on the Pro's. Remember, if you set it at, say, 10 mph from 3 pm, it will give you a 10 mph wind from 3 pm no matter which way you turn the Pro's and take a range. This is the beauty of having the two bluetoothed together. The last wind reading, direction and speed, will be instantly computed no mater what direction the Pro's are pointed.

Sorry if this is incoherent. It's late and I had a dog with bowel issue all last night.

Alan

Reactions: Hksigfn