• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica's ABC set-up problems vs AB Elite

CDNsldr

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2020
I recently had the fortune of being able to acquire a set of Leica Geovid 3200 RF Binos. I've been playing with them for the past couple days trying to get a custom curve in Leica's ABC program set up. After inputting the necessary custom values in Leica's app, I compared the trajectory to my Kestrel 5700 Elite. Long story short, theyre not even in the same ball park. 4 MOA different at 500 yds, 5 MOA different at 1000yds.

FWIW - Im shooting a 6.5CM, 2723fps, 147 ELD-M bullets, 1.82" sight height, 100 yd zero.

I ensured all environmental values were the same between the Kestrel and Leica's app, sight height same, zero distance same....

I understand that Leica's app uses G1 BC, but that shouldnt account for THAT much difference.

By tweaking the BC and MV I was able to get the 700yd and 1000yd trajectories within a couple inch's of the Kestrels data... lol get this, I had to use 2350mv and .99 BC (the max BC it would allow)

The 500yd and below trajectory was still way outta wack.

Any insight? I will be using the Geovids paired to the Kestrel 90% of the time, but Id still like for the onboard ballistics to actually work for hunting situations.

Cheers!

PS...because I know how much everyone likes pictures!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    619.1 KB · Views: 39
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    450.9 KB · Views: 38
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    452.6 KB · Views: 40
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    457.8 KB · Views: 37
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 40
Just an update to this thread, incase anyone runs into a similar issue..

I got my issue sorted out over on this thread >> https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/leica-hd-b-ballistic-function.6891412/#post-9532086

Essentially, don’t use the “drop” listed under the ballistic tab on the kestrel, this will give you the total drop from the highest point in the bullets path, not the actual drop that you adjust for.

Set the kestrel to give output in inches (or cm) and use that value to compare against Leicas data.

After about 2 minutes of tinkering I was able to get Leicas ballistics to match AB within 1” at all ranges out to 1000yds, by lowering BC from .697 to .620.

cheers!

Reactions: buster0535