• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 5700 Elite AB vs Leica Geovid Pro with AB

aranagabriel1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2023
Florida
Hi everyone, I have a serious question, for what ive read, the Leica Geovid Pro with AB has a very nice enviromental computer in it, so, putting the wind speed and direction aside for a moment, why would I need a Kestrel if the Leicas have the AB integrated and have all the enviros updated as soon as you range an animal? at the end, the wind at the shooting point vs the wind at the target might be completely different so i rather learn to read the mirage at distance than complicate things with too much tech on my whole hunting, am I right? *** Please correct me if I missed anything, I'm a total newbie in the LR hunting arena.

Now, I’m no expert in this area but I believe an argument for having a separate weather device apart from your binos is for getting it away from your body heat and from the sun.

Many people will have the binos in-hand/on chest and also in the sun which might mess with temp, humidity etc readings.

Having the Kestrel on your hip will have less an effect, and of course you can stash it in the shade easier as you’re not using it constantly like a bino.

One also can spin a Kestrel a bunch on its long, very well-attached leash (moulded-in) in order to “reset/clear” it. Sort of a way of isolating it from your body’s “very local weather” lol. Although I imagine if it’s very hot from the sun or your closed car that it would take a while to cool down (I just bought a lower grade Kestrel this winter…not a lot of experience).

I learned the spin tip from Frank or from replies to one of Frank’s posts.

Rapidly spinning a heavier-than-a-Kestrel multi-thousand dollar pair of binos with perhaps a less-secure attachment seems…less than ideal?

I think that’s the rationale for a Kestrel even if you own a fancy LRF weather-reading bino.

Or at least a rationale.

Reactions: Daniel Norwood
You pay for AB when you buy the Pro. It’s also a weather station minus wind. Got all you need. My kestrel is still in the pack cause it doesn’t weight much. The bino is hanging in a case outdoors. You could run a profile and see how much difference 20 degrees makes on the firing solution. Sounds like you are only interested in hunting so I wouldn’t spend money on both. Competition is another matter.

I'm not familiar with the specs on the Leica but the obvious question in my mind is what inputs are you lacking without the Kestrel? How would you manage the inputs without having the Kestrel? If you think you've got it covered, you have your answer.

I have both. Geovid pro with the full ab suite and my kestrel 5700 elite. So far my geovids and kestrel line up exactly. I find myself using the kestrel for wind only. I got the geovids for the nrl hunter matches I’m shooting this year. I’m really impressed with the glass. I need more time but so far it looks like the kestrel will be relegated to back and wind calling duty.