• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Length of Pull How important is it. Mine is 15 7/8" and I cannot find a stock

rescue6

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado
So I am 6'6" tall and after having my length of pull measured it is 15 7/8". My current stock is 13.75" so how important is LOP. I have been looking and different manufactures websites at chassis systems and other aftermarket stocks and the closest I can get seems to be 15.5" from a chassis system and 15" from a standard stock. at least from what I have found so far. I would prefer to stick with a normal looking stock. So how do I compensate? Are there adjustable but plate adapters available somewhere or am I looking at a complete custom job somewhere? Thanks for the help.

A number of stock rifles come with a stack of spacers you can mix and match to get just about any length of pull you want. My Ruger Gunsite Scout for one. That gun has a fairly conventional stock with a nice wide butt plate. You may be able to order a set or two of them to get you out to your 15.88 size. Don't be at all surprised if the measurement that was taken is not really right for you. 1/8" can make a big difference, especially with the higher power scopes in vogue today. Inside of elbow to trigger finger is what I'm betting somebody measured for you and that is great for shooting a shotgun from the standing position. Rifles are a bit different, leave your self some room to tweak.

That is how it was measured. So then how do you measure for this type of shooting?

I have rifles with different LOP. It has never seemed to stop me or even slow me down. I don't go crazy but as long as its not too long you should be ok with something a little shorter than perfect.

Rescue6,

I don't have quite that length of pull, but I understand your position. I have longer arms that puts my LOP at 15.25. The last MCM that I ordered maxed out at 15 1/8.

If you order stocks, make sure they screw instead of glue so you can add your own spacers with ease.

I shoot registered trap, and know that stock fit is extremely important. Probably most important.

Some short stock rifles are problematic for me. I have the spacer system on my main rifle, but will upgrade to the fully adjustable butt soon. This will be adjustable for length, horizontal, vertical and cant.

Fully adjustable comb is also important for me.

I imagine all of these will be important for you, also.

For precision shooting, you'll be fine with a somewhat shorter LOP. But you're quite tall, so I can imagine you will need a bit longer than others.

LOP for precision rifle is not at all the same thing as shotgun trap or skeet. The real issue is distance from shoulder to eye, which does not vary all that much despite height (avg 6-7"). Most of a persons height is in their legs. Since we want to be squared up to the rifle, with the bore line parallel to the spine, a LOP of 12 to 13 inches works for almost everyone. I'm 6'1', and a 'standard method' LOP measurement of 15.25". I have no guns longer than 12.5, 15.25 would be totally insane. You'll either end up finding out you can't get the right eye relief with the scope as far to the rear as it will go, or you'll end up angled off to the gun, which is NOT the way we want you to shoot.

There are some positions where you might find a little more length desirable, like sitting. Many of my rifles are setup with and adjustable stock just for that, so I can go from 12.5 to 13.5 and get it just right for that one position.

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess my question is if LOP for a precision rifle is not measured the same as shotgun then how should it be measures. How long should I be looking at?

+1 what CoryT said.

I'm over 6' but have a norrow shoulder to eye distance. Most standard 13 1/2 to 13 3/4 LOP were too long for proper eye relief while straight behind the rifle (scope and rings as far back as they can go). I had a stock cut to 12 1/2 and now I feel less strain when shooting longer strings. The only bitch now is when temps fluctuate from 100+ T-shirt weather to 30's and jackets. I think easily added spacers is the best way to go. My bone stock hunting rifles force me to angle off to the side for porper eye relief.

Be careful about going too short. I learned the hard way that severe wrist angle on the shooting hand gets uncomfortable quick.

Hope this helped. Good luck.

Bill

To add to your above post...

I cut 1/4" at a time off an old stock until things felt comfortable. Keep in mind that rails with multiple mounting slots and a long tube will allow for more play in eye relief and stock length.

Last edited:
OP, you measure your length of pull the same as you would with a shotgun, it might not be 100% accurate though.
Your ideal LOP with a rifle might end up a bit shorter then for a shotgun, and 15.7/8 LOP would be difficult.
13.5-14.5 i bet would suit you well.
CoryT really got it summed up rather well.

Having a shorter stock is usually not so much of an issue as one that's too long.
I'm just shy of 5.7 feet, and a LOP of 12-12,5 fits me well, my std LOP measurement is 13 inches.
Having a too long stock though will make it very difficult to get a proper sigh picture, and keeping ones shoulder straight behind the rifle, it can also be hard to get a good trigger pull.

Measure from top of shoulder to the center of your eye on a vertical line parallel to your spine and double it. That might get you in the ballpark, but it's really not that precise. The best solution is to have an adjustable stock system set down to 12", then get into a correct prone position. Adjust the stock up to as much as 13.5 or so to get a comfortable bend in the elbow and wrist on the firing side while remaining spine parallel to bore and shoulders an 90 degrees. Now place the scope on the rifle at correct eye relief to put you in the center of the range, then adjust the cheekpiece to put your eye in the center of the scope with your head RESTING on it. You should close your eyes, relax, open your eyes and be in the scope. Get up, walk around a bit, then drop back on it, eyes closed and relax. Open your eyes and adjust as required. Do this a few times until you just drop into prone and you are in position without straining to hold anything.

That's correct fit. You can now take that length and height and set other adjustable system or have a stock made to those dimensions.

rescue6,

The best way to set up LOP for you is to get some spacers of approximately 1/8"-3/8" to a total of about 2". Take off the original buttplate. Then run in some blind headed screws of about 4". To make these they could be simple wood screws and cut the heads off. Stack spacers until "while holding the rifle you achieve a natural 'head-drop' on the stock comb". Being as tall as you are you may consider a combination of high rings and a pad of some kind attached to the comb to hold your head a little higher.

It's not all just about length to fit you, it's about height as well. But, those are a couple relatively simple and inexpensive ways to get your rifle to fit you. You can find spacer kits online at Brownells and MidwayUSA and other shooting venues. There is a shooting store called Bruno's down in AZ that could maybe field a call and get you the best spacer kit available.

When I started setting up my precision rig, I figured it would be much different than my trap guns. Guess what? To my surprise, the end formulation of my set up was EXACTLY like my trap guns. Standing, sitting, prone.

Don't mean to burst your bubbles. Or bust your balls. But true stock fitters are few and far between. We've got a lotta experts.

I like my LOP to be around 14 1/2 so I just use a Limb saver slip on and cut fillers to get the length I want. It's quick and dirty and doesn't require a lot of work and it's not permanent.

OP,

I am sure there is much wisdom on here; but as one tall guy to another, fit the rifle to you and not you to the rifle. My length of Pull is 15.5", and my rifles are 15.5". There are some good remedies; but I remove my factory recoil pads, cut, shape and trim a piece of 3/16" 6061 aluminum sheet. I then drill and tap holes (1/4x28) to fit my Limbsaver "grind to fit" recoil pad to the aluminum sheet. I use particle board screws with flat heads. I use six of those to attach the aluminum plate to my stock. I also purchase Kick-eez spacers 1/2" (x2) and 1/4" (x1) and use two (2", 1/4 x 28) socket bolt to attach everything and then grind everything to fit with a variable speed belt sander. I run HS stocks which are 13" without the recoil pad. By the time you add the aluminum sheet, spacers, and pad I am at 15.5" It really looks like McMillans' set up but not as pretty,and I did not cut the grooves for a quick change. I have to remove my screws all the way to remove spacers. You would probably need 2.25" screws and make sure to buy all threads in case you want to remove spacers and shorten the length of pull. This is just one more idea for you. I'll attach a pic to show it. Total investment: 32.00 Limbsaver, 2.00 in bolts, 2.00 in screws, 16.00 in spacers. and the aluminum sheet you can get as a cut-off from metal locations.

Blessings,

BC

Last edited:
LOP for precision rifle is not at all the same thing as shotgun trap or skeet. The real issue is distance from shoulder to eye, which does not vary all that much despite height (avg 6-7"). .

Amen!

I played offensive tackle in college. My long arms give me an LOP of 14" on the traditional forearm length measure.

But my thick shoulders and thick neck makes a 13" LOP more comfortable and therefore more accurate shooting.

My wife wants me to mention my "thick shoulders, thick neck, sloping forehead, and neanderthal eyebrow ridge" --she thinks she is soooo funny.

BMT