• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Length of shoulder is growing???

Nomad Farrier

Nomad
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2009
NE Oregon
So Im fairly new to reloading. The distance from the base of the shell to where the shoulder of the case comes into the neck is growing. Every other measurement is the same. My resizing die is adjusted just as instructions say- " Run the ram all the way up, screw down die to touch the top of ram then run ram down and screw the die another quarter turn down and set it. This means the ram has a bit of tension and pop to be run all the way up. Is this my problem? I painted a loaded case that was a liittle tight to close the bolt on and the only scuffed paint were rings around the shoulder?? Can anyone help me figure this out? PLEASE!

Re: Length of shoulder is growing???

can the bolt close with ease on a fired case with the shoulder growth you are concerned with?

The bolt closes with the same amount of tension that I am concerned with on brass that was fired. This is the second firing on this brass (Nosler) The first firing on this brass and on Rem brass did not have this much tension on bolt closing. The length of the neck seems to have grown about .05-.07 compared to unfired brass. On some of the brass I have some ejector shiny spots but nothing to be concerned with I dont think. The primers are a bit cratered but not flattened. I was told by some bench rest guys not to worry about the signs Im getting. But now with the bolt closing harder Im starting to worry. Do you throw out the brass that has ejector shiners on it?

What kind of sizing die are you using? Do you have a bump gauge to measure headspace? Have you noticed your cartridge headspace changing when you bump the shoulder back?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oregon Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My resizing die is adjusted just as instructions say- " Run the ram all the way up, screw down die to touch the top of ram then run ram down and screw the die another quarter turn down and set it. </div></div>

That’s the problem in a nut shell. Your pushing the shoulder back too far when you FL size your brass. The headspace in your chamber is slightly longer than your sized cases. If you continue in this manner you'll experience a case head separation before it's over.

Try this;
Run the ram all the way up, with the shell holder in place. Screw down the die until it touches the shell holder. Lock it down. Now size a fired case and chamber it. Does the bolt close smoothly or with resistance? If it closes with resistance screw the die in 1/8 turn and re-size the same case. Re-try in rifle. Continue this until the bolt just closes smoothly.

Im using a regular Redding sizing die. I dont have a bump gauge nor have measured headspace. I know what my ogive length is though- BTW we have the same last name??? Thanks!

Mike Mayfield

First off throw all the instructions away that come with almost all full length dies, and get a headspace measuring tool, decap the fired case and measure, note the reading, adjust the full length die until a resized case reads .001-.0015 smaller, lock the die in that position, also note that the brass might get longer before it gets shorter, only lube the neck and body of the case, none on the shoulder, and if not using Imperial sizing wax, get some.

Second, you either have missed a decimal place or since you followed the instructions that came with your full length die you are crushing the shit out of them, so when fired the brass is expanding .050-.070.

427 Cobra,

I have a heaspace measuring tool on order. In regards to my above post the neck is not growing in lenght the should is. My bad I got confused and still am.

I chuckle. When the OP gets confused so do we!

It ain't rocket surgery, you'll figger it out. Good luck.

I always smoke my cases when setting up a new caliber and only use die instructions as a rough starting point. Then see if the resizing die is sizing to the shoulder/neck junture. Then use a Wilson case length gauge to make sure brass is in spec. You should be able to get many more than 2 firings out of your Nosler brass. Just as a check have you tried one of your friends dies in the same caliber just in case it's a die problem (not likeely though).

Santo,

Good point I will check another 260 FL die. I finally got the shoulder bumped back to where they chamber easy again. The die is screwed waay down to where I have a cam action when the ram is run up??? Some of the guys from the club I shoot with said that they have had to shave the bottom of their dies to obtain the shoulder length???

Mike

Yes, what RJ said get a bump guage, Set your die .040 or so off the shell holder, size your case and measure, keep moving your die down and sizing as you go until you finally bump the shoulder .001 to .0015 back and thats it..

Oregon Shooter,
I have had several friends that had to do the same thing with their dies. Particularly when using a Dillon 550B press and most often with Lee dies. That is why I suggested checking the dies. Glad you got you brass sized properly.