• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Length vs purpose

I have access to 12, 14.5, 16, 18, and 20 inch AR uppers. A majority of the time I grab the 16" upper as I feel it balances well and it doesn't lose a lot of velocity.

Reactions: iukamedic
18” ranier arms 223 wylde match barrel - rifle length everything - is a laser.
10.5” 7.62x39 in the truck

I feel sure this has been covered at length at some time. I understand that there is no do all
in ar’s but if a person was to lean toward what they would consider the the rifle they went to as there goto what would it be? Length and purpose.
I don't know man... we invaded Iraq with 20 inch A4's and despite 12.5's being the current hotness, I really think that one can make pretty much any barrel length work if they put in the work.

For the North East, I think a 12.5 would be sufficient for most uses although I have been think of doing a modernized A4

If shooting at paper or steels just feed the rounds you want to use in your B/C and notice where the muzzle velocity falls for different barrel lengths and the distance the different barrels go transonic. Easy right? Now, if you're shooting at something organic and sentient at the same time, now you need to do the same as above but now you're looking at what distance your chosen projectiles function as designed. Is there enough velocity for them to frag or petal at the distance you need? If not, perhaps a longer barrel is the way to go.

Have/had 7.5, 10.5, 11.8, 16, and 20 inch. Personally love the 11.8. Super handy, multiple ammo selections that will still expand beyond 250 yards. Also still a quite manageable length when suppressed. 7.5 was worthless btw. But I was much younger then ha ha.

Yeah but you also did it with flak jackets, omelets in MREs, ponchos for rain jackets, and GPS's the size of label makers 🤣
Fucking pluggers...LoL...

Just saying that I really don't think barrel length matters as much as we think sometimes. While you might give up a little in regards to getting into a shootout inside of a car with a 20 incher, your butt stroking and muzzle fucking game really gets taken to the next level...

• Haha
Reactions: reubenski
I know your all talking ARs here and I do have one, 18" barrel for me it seems the best, cause you can use for close in, like repelling home invasuon, but can also reach out at distance. I've shot consistent tight groups at 400yards but for me I prefer my AK-47, just something about the 7.62 round thatI really like and with 18.5" barrel I've fired consistently at 700yds.

As to the original question, it would really help if we knew what all around meant to you. For me the 11.8 (PWS mk111) up to 12.5” is the ticket. Can clear house easily (think hallways and turning) and engage targets out to 300. Anything beyond that and I’m probably not alerting anyone to my location anyways. But for you maybe all around has nothing to do with close quarters and means 100-500. In which case a 16” would be ideal.

I usually grab my 18" rifles with magnified optics & bipod/tripod attachments for hunting and target shooting, and I have an 11.5" set up with a RDS and white light as my HD gun.

I wanted to start a new build and settled on a 14.7" to fill the gap. I still need to run it through its paces before I pin & weld a muzzle device, but I intend for it to eventually be my go-to do-it-all gun.