• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lens coating repair?

DanUSMC

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2018
Can rifle lenses be repaired in regards to the lense coatings if they are damaged? Im an ass and I damaged the ocular lense on one of my scopes. Does anyone have experience with getting a scope lense re-coated either by the OEM or a third party? There seem to be some places that offer this kind of repair for astronomy stuff, but I cant find much information for rifle scope lense coating repair. I have no idea how they're applied, and I was thinking that maybe the reason I am not seeing much is that it's cost prohibitive to disassemble, remove old coating, re coat, and reassemble etc.

The multicoating is a special process where the glass elements are exposed to chemical coating in "multiple" steps, for this reason I am doubtful a "repair" of the surface could be made easily, my guess is that you will contact the manufacturer and they will simply replace the glass element vs. repairing that element.

The multicoating is a special process where the glass elements are exposed to chemical coating in "multiple" steps, for this reason I am doubtful a "repair" of the surface could be made easily, my guess is that you will contact the manufacturer and they will simply replace the glass element vs. repairing that element.
Okay. Thank you for the info, I appreciate it.