• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Les Baer 308 Match vs RRA 308 Varmint A4 Update!

redhead522

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Update: I went with the Les Baer. I found a price that I just couldn't pass up. I'll post pics when I get it in. I can't wait to hit up the range with this ba</span>by!</span>

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a 308 semi-auto that is a tack driver. I've narrowed it down to the Les Baer 308 Semi Auto Match 24" barrel and the Rock River Arms LAR-8 Varmint A4 26" barrel. Both have 2 stage triggers. Here's the pros and cons of each.

Les Baer
Pro - Guaranteed 5 shot 1/2" MOA
Pro - Optional Magpul stock and Enforcer muzzle break
Pro - comes with Harris bipod & 2 mags (to RRA 1 mag)
Pro - 2 stage trigger that's adjustable from 1.5 - 4 lbs
Con - twice as expensive as the RRA
Con - No forward assist (I've read claims that it's unnecessary, but that's like not wearing a seat belt because you don't plan to crash. I like the assurance.)

RRA
Pro - 1 MOA guaranteed (have seen some amazing shots online)
Pro - Comes with Forward Assist
Pro - Price
Pro - Thicker barrel
Pro - May have more readily available parts since it's not quite as custom.
Con - Stainless barrel (I personally prefer an all around black rifle)

In a nut shell, is the Les Baer worth twice the cash for guaranteed better accuracy, or would you go with the RRA?

Re: Les Baer 308 Match vs RRA 308 Varmint A4

it really doesnt matter which one you get...the RRA is upgradable, so if you dont like something you can always change it...

and the forward assist is NOT some magic button....on a modern firearms its pointless....i wish that they would do away with forward assist all together...its not in a million years ever gonna fix a double feed, or stove pipe..so whats the point?

I would like to hear more on the Les Baer, I have done quite a bit of searching but haven't found much. The guy that does my FFL transfers just recieved one in a .308 but hasn't mounted the scope yet. He said the uppper and lower mate up great, he's suppose to call when they take it to the range.

I'm sure if you searched you saw my response on another thread but if you didn't, here it is.

I have an 18" match and am very happy with it. It has never malfuctioned and is as accurate as my bolt guns. I have had 2 other custom ar10's and both shot well but had function problems. The LB has not given me a lick of trouble and I would buy it again.

My only complaint would be the 1.350 dia hand guard. It's a bit big for my hand but a little skateboard tape on the bottom fixed her right up!

This is the rifle that goes with me if I'm not testing loads for something else.

Never had a need for a FA on a 308.
The bipod isn't a swivel and didn't have notched legs so it wasn't much good to me.

Hope this helps,
Trilogymac

Open your mind to the Gap 10-these are real shooters.......They may not shoot .5" MOA at 100 for 10 shots, but hell, neither does my Surgeon bolt-action. But maybe thats just me pulling the the trigger.

I'm shooting a Les Baer .308 Monolith with an 18" barrel with integral brake. It will shoot sub .5MOA with 175gr SMKS in Federal Match or SWA equivalent loads all day long. The fit and finish are also impeccable.

Les provides PMags which have been a little problematic. I've replaced them with LaRue mags which have worked well. I'm also using one of two different bipods which I much prefer to the Versapod: GG&G or Atlas. I'd suggest you order yours without the pod and then buy one of these.

The Monolith has become my go to rifle. It's simply accurate as hell and built like a brick s house.

Good luck with your choice

It's hard to beat a LAR-8 for the price point:

You may have seen these before....

5 shot group (100 yards):
DSC_0106.jpg

10 shot group (100 Yards):

a4c40ae18eb6a8f893c5a294.jpg

FA is pointless. Why would you want to shove a round into a chamber that won't go in freely by itself? Recipe for failures I would say. I'd much rather eject the bad round.

Don't like the stainless barrel...paint it.

I'd go RRA. Save some cash. The FA is nice to have if you want to strip off the first round quietly and make sure it chambers. And you can always get a can of the camo-black Krylon to spray on the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Angry_Pirate</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The FA is nice to have if you want to strip off the first round quietly and make sure it chambers. </div></div>

Ok, I can see that.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Angry_Pirate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go RRA. Save some cash. The FA is nice to have if you want to strip off the first round quietly and make sure it chambers. And you can always get a can of the camo-black Krylon to spray on the barrel. </div></div>

I myself only use the FA for when I'm in the woods hunting. Makes it much more quiet when loading the first round.

No experience with the Les Baer. I have a RRA Predator HP, its been a consistent 1/2 to 3/4 minute rifle at 100 yards with Hornady A Max TAP 168 grn. Two stage RRA trigger is very nice. The savings on the weapon allowed me to get a suppressor and, soon, better glass. The weapon is used as an LE precision rifle, it has been a great purchase and RRA was very easy to work with. They installed the QD lug on it. A half minute group doesn't care how much the rifle that made it cost.

You will never regret having the LB.

Les Bauer is hard to beat if you have the cash.

My only caveat about the RRA is the fact that they use FAL magazines which are slightly difficult to find. They are out there, but DSA 20s have been on backorder since bush left office.

Private sale of surplus FAL mags is around $18.00, but again yo are not going to find them at Midway, The Korean mags are kinda like buying a kimber, some work, some suk.

Cant tell you about Magpul, but a plastic magazine on a gun with a lever type catch does not seem reliable to me. On the other hand there is a FAL dude out there goes by the handle of "moses" who is working on one that is supposed to be the stuff, we shall see.

That said I love FALs. They have a lot of good points that ARS have to date not managed to duplicate. However most builders and manufacturers build them to mil-spec which means expect no better than 1 MOA, likely more.

The Stoner ANd DPMS are also good choices, but do use proprietary mags, with hand loads You should again get 1 to 1/2 MOA.

Again if you have cash falling out of your pockets, Les Bauer is hard to beat.

As far as stainless barrels go, as mentioned above Krylon or any other brand of black coating works. Personally most ARs out there are kind of shiny in factory form and I coat them with the Krylon to knock down reflection. If you intend to camo your rifle, who cares? it will get painted anyhow!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Open your mind to the Gap 10-these are real shooters.......They may not shoot .5" MOA at 100 for 10 shots, but hell, neither does my Surgeon bolt-action. But maybe thats just me pulling the the trigger. </div></div>

X2

I just looked up prices for the LB and that is a lot of change. The GAP 10 will outshoot most peoples ability and save some cash too. You can use that for ammo or optics.

Even if I had money falling out of my pockets, I doubt there would be a LB in my safe, there are just to many other rifles that shoot as well for les money.

I'm pretty much dead set on the Gap 10 but figured I would look around a little bit and make sure that's what I want. Les Baer AR has recieved great reviews so I decided to look into them some more.

Thanks for the advice everyone, you've all given me a lot to think about. I'll let you all know which one I end up going with.

The FA is nice to have if you want to strip off the first round quietly and make sure it chambers.

Damn right. Very useful when hunting!

The les baer's look like really nice rifles and so come with a good guarantee. I would go that route over the RRA. But I have to say the gap sure looks like a good option.

You know, I have no doubt you'd be happy with either rifle. I have had the RRA LAR-8 26" for a couple years now. I have it equipped with a PRS stock w/Accu-shot Monopod, Harris 6 to 9, and a Leupold Mk 4 8.5x25. With Federal GMM 168, or better yet Black Hills 175 match, even an idiot like me can punch out .5 with relative ease. I am no shooter, but this set up is REALLY easy to shoot VERY ACCURATELY with. I have a hard time shooting that well with very good bolt guns. Oh yeah, I wish I had a Baer too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newtrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know, I have no doubt you'd be happy with either rifle. I have had the RRA LAR-8 26" for a couple years now. I have it equipped with a PRS stock w/Accu-shot Monopod, Harris 6 to 9, and a Leupold Mk 4 8.5x25. With Federal GMM 168, or better yet Black Hills 175 match, even an idiot like me can punch out .5 with relative ease. I am no shooter, but this set up is REALLY easy to shoot VERY ACCURATELY with. I have a hard time shooting that well with very good bolt guns. Oh yeah, I wish I had a Baer too. </div></div>

How did you get a PRS stock on the LAR 8 rifle. They state that they will not fit?? I would like to put a PRS on mine too!

It's been a couple of years now, and my memory is not great, but I think we had to change the buffer tube. I looked on the Magpul site after I read your response, and saw the disclaimer. As I said, we changed the buffer tube, and fit it on. No issues. The charging handle is snug when operated, but still easy to do. Maybe try calling RRA for advice. The stock is a great asset to the rifle. Particularly when in addition to the Accu-shot monopod. No bags, just dial and smile. Let me know if you still have trouble, and I try to remember exactly what we did.

You cant go wrong with LB. I own one of their handguns and met one of their smiths at a NRA show top shelf gear and people!

k9Ghost

Hey everyone, I went with the Les Baer. I found a price on it that I couldn't pass up. I can't wait to hit the range with this baby!

Hi KChen986, I don't have it yet. I bought it online. I'll post though when it's in
grin.gif

The prs stock fits like a champ. You cannot raise the cheek piece unless you buy the extension from Brownells. It makes it 1 inch longer. I needed the extra anyway. It goes without saying you have to have a a2 tube, buffer and spring.
My 2 cents. ALso my LAR 8 shoots like a house a fire.
T

I own both...GAP and Baer. If everything else is equal, you should go with GAP just because of their outstanding service.

Gil Horsley