• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Less recoil

Doc68

I'm an asshole....
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2014
    USA
    So I'm almost 42 and I never thought I would be asking this question. I'm looking for a caliber with minimal recoil but also good to 1000yards or so. Some of you all know that I recently had spinal surgery and I dont know how my current calibers are going to hold up with my neck and all.

I'm currently looking at the 6mm calibers out there. Can I get some help with which ones have the lower recoil.

I currently have 7mm-08, 338 norma mag and 223, which isn't an issue.

If you don’t reload, 6mm creedmoor.

Or have a bolt gun chambered for 6arc. It should be similar to a 6br, but with affordable factory ammo.

Straight 6BR if you reload forsure. I shoot an unbraked one and it has as much recoil as a 223. Granted my rifle also weighs 17lbs or so. But a light weight build with an APA, or Area 419 brake, will do you great.

Heavy rifle and brake or suppressor chambered in 6mm or 223. I find just the concussive blast can mess with my head, so I prefer a suppressor for long range days.

Reactions: NewsShooter
    not that its going to be the exact same feeling to you , my 6.5 creedmoor that weighs in at around 25-28 lbs with a break feels like a 223 or maybe even a little less when It fires . So its very light recoil shot a 6 br that did not have much more recoil without a break . Good luck to you sir finding what you like to shoot .

Reactions: db2000
    I’m in the same boat as you. 50 years old and simply tired of pounding my brain and shoulder with large calibers in light guns. Zeroing the scope on my .270 this year sealed the deal.
    Even though I reload I went with 6mm creedmoor. (Bergara HMR Pro) On a 13lb gun with a Ultradyne muzzle brake I’ve got the recoil down to .223 range or less. It’s as soft a shooter as one could ask for and with Hornady Match ammo I’m getting .25” groups. I’m developing loads for it now but with results like that in factory ammo there’s really no need for handloads unless you’re like me and love to tinker. 6mm Creed is readily available. .243 is also a good option.

I see a couple votes for 6.5 PRC. This may be stating the obvious, but there's noticeably more recoil in the 6.5 PRC than 6mm CM. Like 3x more. They both get the job done to 1000 so I'd advise against the PRC.

If you don't reload, 6.5 Creedmoor in a 12+ pound rifle.
    If you do reload the 223 will do fine for 1000 yards with heavy bullets.

I've got another suggestion but I'm not sure about the recoil. 6.5 Swede. it's an amazing round and has taken many many animals and great at long range as far as I'm told.

I got spine problems so I understand your concern. I like the creedmoors. I like the 6.5 so much I bought a 6mm and I figured wtf so I just ordered a barrel for a 22creed build. Like others have said, get a good brake and recoil is negligible.

Reactions: db2000 and Doc68
    6.5 with a brake and about 12-13 pounds is a nice shooting and enjoyable combination
    My 260 is named Buttercup.
    So nice to shoot, capable of far more than 1000 and not a heavy pig

Reactions: Doc68
    6.5g is a very mild gas gun round.
    Can not attest to 1000 yards personally with it yet.

Reactions: stilesg57
    6.5 x47 pretty good at everything. I use it for f class and prs with very mild recoil.

There's a reason many of the PRS guys are using 6mm's. Low recoil for spotting shots, with long range capability.

6 BR, 6 Creedmoor, 6 Dasher, etc, all depending on if you want factory ammo availability. Great bullet and brass selection, lots of people loading for these.

I was lucky, when I was doing my PT and recovery I had mostly physical therapists that liked to shoot, and hunt too. So I did not have to worry about asking them questions about what I needed to be careful of when shooting. Can you crank your press? 6 Creed has some pretty good and reasonable factory ammo options.

How about least recoil - Just to be different.
    20-221FB AI in a 26" 9 twist barrel. 55gr Berger/.381BC at 3200 fps on 17 grains of powder.

I read a post on accurateshooter of a guy that won a 1000Y benchrest match using these bullets in a 20BR going 3600 fps.

As always, using a heavy rifle and a good brake makes a huge difference!

Last edited:
    My vote is 6BR with a heavy profile (heavy varmint or similar) 28" barrel.

I've got almost this in my 6 BRA - 26" heavy palma, APA brake. Very light on the recoil and it doesn't miss. With 6mms, you do have to be on with the wind at longer ranges, but what fun is it if the wind isn't blowing?

Reactions: Steel head
    Wanted to thank everyone. I'm having PVA spin me up a 6BR barrel for my RPR.

I like the look of the 6BR. Looks very easy to load for also along with small recoil.

Selling off all 7mm stuff now in PX if anyone needs stuff.

Thanks once again everyone.

I've got another suggestion but I'm not sure about the recoil. 6.5 Swede. it's an amazing round and has taken many many animals and great at long range as far as I'm told.
    6.5 Swede has a bit more recoil than the 7x57, but less than a .308.

Wanted to thank everyone. I'm having PVA spin me up a 6BR barrel for my RPR.

I like the look of the 6BR. Looks very easy to load for also along with small recoil.

Selling off all 7mm stuff now in PX if anyone needs stuff.

Thanks once again everyone.
    Great choice
    6.5 Swede has a bit more recoil than the 7x57, but less than a .308.
    No it doesn’t

A good 22' barrel for the 6mm ARC runs about $250-300. You need a 6mm ARC bolt (use a AR-15 bolt carrier), and magazines for the round. Brownell's handles most all of that. I decided that distance will need a steel barrel instead of the carbon fiber (only went to 18").

I own a Barrett REC-7 in 300 BO that I am going to convert this summer, but I have a couple builds to finish first before I purchase the new barrel. There may be more options come on the market by then. Ammo is hard to find so I just buy 3-4 boxes at a time and am squirreling it away.

So I'm almost 42 and I never thought I would be asking this question. I'm looking for a caliber with minimal recoil but also good to 1000yards or so. Some of you all know that I recently had spinal surgery and I dont know how my current calibers are going to hold up with my neck and all.

I'm currently looking at the 6mm calibers out there. Can I get some help with which ones have the lower recoil.

I currently have 7mm-08, 338 norma mag and 223, which isn't an issue.
    Application....hunting or paper punching/ringing steel? Factory or reloaded ammo? For rounds on target with zero recoil....without terminal performance requirements......224 Valkyrie if just dinging. The old .243Win/6mmRem can't be dismissed for target...... or hunting at shorter range. Lighter bullets at slower velocities generate less recoil, but aren't generally good for 1000tds....where you want heavier, efficient bullets at higher velocities. For 1000yds hunting where mobility and terminal performance is critical, you aren't going to meet your recoil requirement. For stationary applications, heavier rifles mitigate the recoil, especially in conjunction with an effective muzzle brake. If bench shooting, a lead sled with also handle recoil. Hope you heal completely. But, find a way to keep shooting regardless.

Application....hunting or paper punching/ringing steel? Factory or reloaded ammo? For rounds on target with zero recoil....without terminal performance requirements......224 Valkyrie if just dinging. The old .243Win/6mmRem can't be dismissed for target...... or hunting at shorter range. Lighter bullets at slower velocities generate less recoil, but aren't generally good for 1000tds....where you want heavier, efficient bullets at higher velocities. For 1000yds hunting where mobility and terminal performance is critical, you aren't going to meet your recoil requirement. For stationary applications, heavier rifles mitigate the recoil, especially in conjunction with an effective muzzle brake. If bench shooting, a lead sled with also handle recoil. Hope you heal completely. But, find a way to keep shooting regardless.

I won't be hunting at that range for sure. This is just for punching paper and banging some steel to these ranges.

I ordered an M4-72 extreme duty muzzle brake also. Seems like a very good brake for the money.

These are my xrays from the surgery. As you can see it was some pretty extensive work I had to have done.

Again thanks everyone for the input

Rich
    20200527_110705.jpg
    20200527_110616.jpg

6BR is very predictable day in day out! I bet you'll be happy with it. Think about the primal rights BR magazine kit or the factory MDT mag specifically for the shorties….. They will certainly help you not get discouraged with feeding.
    I'm no doc but your neck took a bad one!
    Brien

Ouch! Looks like something from a Terminator movie.

Hope you feel better soon and get back into the swing of things 👍

Allot can be done with a 6.5 Grendel and the new 6ARC could be a darling for ya. I prefer bolt guns and run a chassised up Howard Mini. That and if you don't have a suppressor yet I'd look into that. It's a great break/anti-recoil and makes shooting these midstream calibers a dream. Either way, good luck and be careful how you let others spend your money. Most forums are quite the enablers. In a good way.......maybe

Reactions: 16 Gauge
    223 - 75-80’s and an mtu barrel, gets more trigger time than any other barrel ive got, from range to varmints, its cheaper and more fun to shoot than the 6’s-7mm barrels, wouldnt be first choice for a match, but for having fun it simply works