• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Let’s see your rimfire steel

Lawnboi

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2019
WI
Looking for some input on rimfire steel. Iv got a spot I can shoot out to around 250 yards. As of now Iv got a broken t post mount and a 4 inch gong. Looking for something a little more and am interested to see what other have at their personal ranges.

I do have a crap load of rubber fire hose scraps for straps. I should also mention this needs to be portable.

Here’s some of my stuff. I really like the targets from Atlas Target Works

Attachments

• 4F0181F0-3FF0-4B9F-B40B-479168A819F3.jpeg
    4F0181F0-3FF0-4B9F-B40B-479168A819F3.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 120
  • BEAF7991-FCFB-4959-B2BC-DE63F581A63B.jpeg
    BEAF7991-FCFB-4959-B2BC-DE63F581A63B.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 121
I built 3 or 4 dueling trees out of a kits and angle. I repourposed a old bed frame that I had in the garage. I used a couple pieces of rebar bent and the ends fit in the feet sockets perfect.

Not pretty but has been holding up to 22lr strikes pretty well.

20200509_111634.jpg
20200507_170904.jpg

I like largish gongs with center cuts out with flappers. I’m really shooting for the middle, but the face hits give me feedback. Lighter steel moves more so you can maybe pick up left /right hits on dirty steel.

Are you guys shooting 1/4” or thicker?
If we're talking rim fire only 1/4" is the thickest material I would use and on the closer targets. I use a lot of machine shop drop scraps, much of them <.200 thick, that means they will move significantly (esp when hung from those fire hose straps) and ring loudly even if they are 4",5",6" dia. That really helps when you've got them out there at longer distances.

Reactions: JKW70
My silhouettes and gongs are 1/2" AR500 just so I can use my centerfire rifles as well. I think the kyl rack is 1/4". I'm always looking for scrap steel to use for my rimfire range.

I’m liking the atlas ground squirrel target. Could get along with that out to 200 yards with my setup. A kyl rack would be fun too.
Has anyone used those Shepard hook style target holders designed for 22lr? How do they hold up?

At this point I’m Not very interested in the steel being able to take a centerfire round, with only 250 to play with centerfire gets boring fast, and at that range beats the living piss out of the stands Iv rigged up.

Lawnboi,
Take a look at Atlas’s website. He makes a step-in hanger that is great. I set targets at unknown distances then use my rangefinder and ballistic program.

Lawnboi,
Take a look at Atlas’s website. He makes a step-in hanger that is great. I set targets at unknown distances then use my rangefinder and ballistic program.

The step in holding up well? I think I’ll start with a couple of them and some smaller plates

Shooting Targets 7 has a good deal on rimfire targets.
He is a Vet. and I have been very pleased with his targets.
I make my frames with 1/2" re-bar and hang the gongs with
rubber bunji straps.

KOD, what do you have some of the smaller plates hanging from? Looks like tire or something like that. Great setup and smart to have the deflectors.

Hello, the black material is mining belt. It was offered for sale with the targets as an accessory item. I knew what it was so I bought those. The belt is maybe 3/8" thick.

When deciding to make my new range I knew I had to do something to stop the bullets. I had already shot down two trees and had to prevent further damage.