• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Let’s talk about the 6.5 prc and how to build one.

Lrdchaos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Oklahoma
I started out looking for a do it all rifle of sorts that would ring a little steal at 1k and be able to hunt pretty much anywhere in North America. I’m not interested in bear or moose, but it would be tasked with a mule deer hunt next year and possibly an elk hunt in a couple years. My original thought was to go with a 30-06 or 270, but I have run across the 6.5 prc and it seems to fit the bill. My first question is how to build the rifle, I’ve read where the prc is able to run in a SA, but I’ve also read of them having feeding issues. I have looked at the Deviant com action, but it’s my understand that it’s only a BDL at this time as there isn’t a BM with drop mag available, is this correct? Does anyone have trouble feeding Hornady 143 Ammo in their short action? If I decide to build off a Remington would it be best to use a 7mm Saum based rifle rather than a 7mm wsm, is there any difference in the actions?

I plan to run either a 7.5 or 8 twist barrel at 24”, what are you guys finding works best? I’m reading mixed reviews.

I’m currently only looking at his cartridge, I’m not interested in the 300 prc at this time. Let’s try to keep the thread focused on this particular caliber!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

This is going to be a 6.5 PRC hopefully tomorrow! Impact, Manners, 24” Bartlein medium Palma. Should feed fine...
B824C9D7-3B45-4D27-B15D-D192B576F114.jpeg

I have had several “hunting” rifles with detachable mag settups. Its like chocolate and vanilla, I prefer flush fit BDL style bottom metal on hunting rifles 10-1. Think PRC would make exc LR round, just dont know if its enough of an increase to justify over the “other” 6.5 round.

Short action magnum bolt face action will work, depending if you go with bdl or magazine your gunsmith may have to tune the feed lips/rails or the magazine for smooth feeding.

I'm building one on an origin with sol bottom metal and McMillan game hunter stock

Seekins precision.......

Great hunting weight.

From what I remember, the real advantage of the PRC comes during reloading vs the Creedmoor in factory ammo.

I am using a Tikka T3X WSM donor and a Proof CF Sendero contour barrel. I'm still undecided on the stock/chassis.

What's the advantage over a 6.5-300 Weatherby?

I'm on my second 6.5 PRC. My first was based on a trued Rem 700 long action with AICS mags. Had 26" Krieger 8 twist. Ran flawless. I sold it to a friend that wanted it. My second is in Tubb's ATR which is a medium length action. I think medium length is where 6.5 PRC will be the happiest. Has enough length to seat bullets longer.
Otherwise it will work in short action. I bought factory Hornady 147 ELD-M's which had a 2.95 coal. Those did fit in my short action AW mags but not in the AICS mags.
Im currently running 150 SMK's at 3.052 coal with 26" Krieger 7 twist

The 143 eld-X should run short action just fine, U may find yourself seating deeper depending on your mag limitations. I'm not sure of the factory ammo coal for the 143 eld-X.

Pic of my first PRC
IMG_20180218_171234556.jpg

I just bought a Christensen MPR in 6.5 PRC. Seems to shoot alright so far. About half way through load development. 24" 8 twist around 2970-3000fps with a 147. My Accurate mag feeds great. My alpha not as well. I think the feed lips need tweaking.

So it's got the same velocity as a 6.5X284 yet gives 600 more rounds of accurate barrel life?
No need explaining the full retard.

So it's got the same velocity as a 6.5X284 yet gives 600 more rounds of accurate barrel life?
No need explaining the full retard.

That's what people are reporting. I'm skeptical as well but I also own one so will find out myself. That said the 6.5-284 is used is F-class a good bit. Long strings, hot barrels with the expectation for quarter minute accuracy. These folks may find a barrel to be "shot out" way before the average tactical shooter and most certainly hunter. When I read things on 6mmBR.com or accurate shooter etc. I read it in context of the type of people that frequent those forums. I'd be willing to bet a 6.5-284 would go 1500+ if not abused. My 6mm creed will do that or more and I feel it is a similar ratio of powder/bore size for the 6.5 PRC and 6.5-284.

Also Hornady claims 2000 rounds with the PRC but their factory ammo is loaded so light it's nearly the same as a hot rodded 6.5CM with RL26. I'd be happy to get 1500 rounds with my PRC. I think thats realistic with a 147 at 3000 fps (moderately hot load) and allowing the barrel to cool between 5 round groups. We will see

Also, some may argue the PRC has a more "efficient" design that adds to barrel life. Short fat case and sharp shoulder angle.

Yeah I never heard of the round before reading this post and read that the 300 PRC has 99 grains of water capacity. A 300 Weatherby has a similar capacity.
That's why my post above about the 6.5x300 Weatherby.
I shot 600/1000 yard Benchrest for a decade and 1200 rounds through the 6.5X284 shooting 147 Clinch River VLD and the barrel is toast.
I shoot a couple 338 Norma Ackley Improved rifles in and barrel life mimicks that of 338 Lapua.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
George Gardner had a video interview explaining the 6.5 SAUM vs the 6.5 PRC. If I recall his explanation correctly, the SAUM has rebated rim and feeds better in a DBM, while the PRC is non-rebated and feeds smoothly in a BDL.

A non rebated cartridge will always feed better than a rebated rim cartridge. There is more case head for the bolt to pick up.

This is the issue with the WSM and SAUM cases. And why some people say short action mags don’t feed well. It’s not really true. It’s just the rebated rim.

George Gardner had a video interview explaining the 6.5 SAUM vs the 6.5 PRC. If I recall his explanation correctly, the SAUM has rebated rim and feeds better in a DBM, while the PRC is non-rebated and feeds smoothly in a BDL.
I think it’s opposite. The PRC should feed better. Idk from experience...??

20181020_141826.jpg
I have an off the rack MPA built 6.5 PRC. Curtis Custom Axiom (short action) M24 profile 26" barrel 1:8, MPA Competition chassis.

Factory Hornady 147 ELD at 2.955 COAL in AICS (no binder plate) mags feed and shoot fine. 3020 FPS, sub .5 @ 200 5 shot groups, and stay sub MOA at 750.

My final handload recipe is 54.14gr RL 26, 2.950 COAL, .0015 neck tension, Hornady 147 ELD also running at 3020 fps

Same loads set back to a 2.890 COAL to fit in a Ruger AICS mag with binder plate reduced my FPS to 2970, accuracy is the same.

I can not speak to barrel life as I only have 400 down the pipe, and am on hold until I find more RL26. My firing schedule is 6 shot strings then cool down.

View attachment 6985908I have an off the rack MPA built 6.5 PRC. Curtis Custom Axiom (short action) M24 profile 26" barrel 1:8, MPA Competition chassis.

Factory Hornady 147 ELD at 2.955 COAL in AICS (no binder plate) mags feed and shoot fine. 3020 FPS, sub .5 @ 200 5 shot groups, and stay sub MOA at 750.

My final handload recipe is 54.14gr RL 26, 2.950 COAL, .0015 neck tension, Hornady 147 ELD also running at 3020 fps

Same loads set back to a 2.890 COAL to fit in a Ruger AICS mag with binder plate reduced my FPS to 2970, accuracy is the same.

I can not speak to barrel life as I only have 400 down the pipe, and am on hold until I find more RL26. My firing schedule is 6 shot strings then cool down.

Nice!! That barrel must have sped up a lot!!! 54.1 grains of rl26 at 2.99” only gets me 2800 fps in a new 24” barrel. I’m really hoping mine speeds up. Sounds like they do after about 150-200 rounds

Last edited:
You sure on that 41 grains? My load development started at 44 IIRC and I was in the 2600s...I will need to double check my notes, but that seems right.

And yes, my barrel did speed up at around 80 rounds. Drove me nuts with my ballistics and load dev.

Great looking rifles and a ton of great info. I was thinking about a 22-24” barrel since I will be running my 9” suppressor, but I might go with a 26” for the added velocity.

2800fps sounds like a let down...I may shoot some 135-140’s....

in a standard BDL cut short action/box the PRC wont work with factory ammo, too long

i used a wyatts extended stagger feed box...action cut had to be opened up slightly in the rear, no mod to the bolt stop on my bighorn origin

holds 2 rounds in the box, feeds fine...i cant say how smooth it is in comparison really because its my only BDL set up rifle...its not as smooth as most of my mag tuned rifles, but its not terribly clunky or rough either

my personal PRC build ( cant post pics of it unfortunately)
Howa Long action
MDT 3.715" 300WM mags, no modification needed.
24" criterion barrel 1-8" ROT
147gr ELDM
H1000

1" circle, that 5th one might have been me? typical group size.
prc group.jpg

prc 1.jpg
prc 2.jpg
prc 3.jpg

Last edited:
I think it’s opposite. The PRC should feed better. Idk from experience...??

Saying the same thing. Not saying the SAUM feeds better than the PRC, he’s saying the SAUM feeds better from a DBM mag (I use Accurate Mag 300 WSM mags) than from a BDL magazine.

Reactions: KPK
Sounds like the wrong powder is being used?
90.7 grains of surplus 860 ball powder and a 130 Accubond will give you 3500 FPS and get this1100 rounds of barrel life.
Antelope hunting in area 7 in Wyoming so no steep shots so far.

FYI there are 2 PRC reamers and they make a big difference in build/load. The ‘older’ version which had .130 FB and the ‘newer’ SAAMI reamer with the longer .188 throat.

The .130 reamer is what you want if running a short action, similar to what they did with the SAUM/GAP 4S. The factory 143gr and 147gr offerings from Hornady are jammed at 2.945” OAL with the shorter lead, however it allows plenty of room in SA mags to load/chase the lands with other projectiles. The caveat is that you will likely be seating the long, heavy boat tail bullets below the shoulder/neck junction in the case and as a result, have to deal with lower MVs and pressure issues.

The longer throated .188 reamer was created to work better with Hornady factory ammo offerings and their ELD bullets, but it really needs to be fed from a medium-long action when using other bullets. That lead will require significant jump (30 thou plus) using Hybrids or SMKs as you won’t be able to load longer/chase the lands if constrained by SA mag length. Feeding from a longer action allows you to fit more powder in the case and will not run into pressure issues chasing velocity as quickly as you otherwise would shooting heavy bullets.

The SAUM by comparison has similar OAL issues, but more case capacity gives higher velocities/less pressure when seating the VLD style bullets deeper in the case. It really comes down to application and personal preference but something to keep in mind either way.

Last edited:
Sounds like the wrong powder is being used?
90.7 grains of surplus 860 ball powder and a 130 Accubond will give you 3500 FPS and get this1100 rounds of barrel life.
Antelope hunting in area 7 in Wyoming so no steep shots so far.

What's the case fill % like?

You might do better with the lighter bullets because it takes more powder (higher case fill) but I know with the 140's and 160's there was a lot of left over room in the case. Basically you'd hit pressure, then if you tipped the case forward (held the rifle pointing at the ground, for example), it would spike even higher, 70ksi+ chamber pressure.

You don't get that at all with the PRC, with the right powders it's basically a 100% case fill, if not slightly compressed. I'd also expect longer barrel life because you're burning 55-60gr, not 85-95. Fits in a short action with the right magazines, also.

The 6.5-300 is pure speed, sure.. similar to stuff like the 300 RUM. Not a powder out there that really gets speed and fills the case well. When you don't fill the case you get the chamber pressure (and likewise velocity) weirdness.

Plugging an animal out to 400yd, velocity variance doesn't mean much. Trying to ring steel consistently out to 1500, it does.

What's the case fill % like?

You might do better with the lighter bullets because it takes more powder (higher case fill) but I know with the 140's and 160's there was a lot of left over room in the case. Basically you'd hit pressure, then if you tipped the case forward (held the rifle pointing at the ground, for example), it would spike even higher, 70ksi+ chamber pressure.

You don't get that at all with the PRC, with the right powders it's basically a 100% case fill, if not slightly compressed. I'd also expect longer barrel life because you're burning 55-60gr, not 85-95. Fits in a short action with the right magazines, also.

The 6.5-300 is pure speed, sure.. similar to stuff like the 300 RUM. Not a powder out there that really gets speed and fills the case well. When you don't fill the case you get the chamber pressure (and likewise velocity) weirdness.

Plugging an animal out to 400yd, velocity variance doesn't mean much. Trying to ring steel consistently out to 1500, it does.
I’d try n-165 or h1000 , if it would shoot , looking for barrel life

I'm on my second 6.5 PRC. My first was based on a trued Rem 700 long action with AICS mags. Had 26" Krieger 8 twist. Ran flawless. I sold it to a friend that wanted it. My second is in Tubb's ATR which is a medium length action. I think medium length is where 6.5 PRC will be the happiest. Has enough length to seat bullets longer.
Otherwise it will work in short action. I bought factory Hornady 147 ELD-M's which had a 2.95 coal. Those did fit in my short action AW mags but not in the AICS mags.
Im currently running 150 SMK's at 3.052 coal with 26" Krieger 7 twist

The 143 eld-X should run short action just fine, U may find yourself seating deeper depending on your mag limitations. I'm not sure of the factory ammo coal for the 143 eld-X.

Pic of my first PRCView attachment 6985493
Can you give me the full details on this rifle. I love the look of it and would like to duplicate it.

Reactions: Squibbler
Apologies for late response. Was going to try and find spec sheet I had for build, but have not located with first search. Off the top of my head it was a Manner's T4A in black forest camo and PTG DBM. AICS mag. Trued Rem 700 long with PTG bolt spiral fluted. Timney 510. Krieger #9 heavy target 26" 8 twist black cerakote, TBAC brake. Think it was precision armament 20 moa rail.

If need further details will have to try harder to relocate spec sheet

Reactions: dwamsley
Apologies for late response. Was going to try and find spec sheet I had for build, but have not located with first search. Off the top of my head it was a Manner's T4A in black forest camo and PTG DBM. AICS mag. Trued Rem 700 long with PTG bolt spiral fluted. Timney 510. Krieger #9 heavy target 26" 8 twist black cerakote, TBAC brake. Think it was precision armament 20 moa rail.

If need further details will have to try harder to relocate spec sheet
Hello sir..what ais mags and mag well are you using for the 6.5 PRC long action model 700 action. Thank you.

Hello sir..what ais mags and mag well are you using for the 6.5 PRC long action model 700 action. Thank you.

Ptg DBM M5 3.715 Mag OAL. .300 win mag 3.715 Mag OAL 5 round mag. I think it was an Accurate mag, if I remember right. Sold gun long ago and can't find records of mag.