• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Let's Build a 6mm.... decision, decisions....

MDof2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2020
Magatopia
My attempt to break my analysis paralysis..... Appreciate input from those with experience and hindsight while I cut my teeth on a new caliber.

Gunsmith/Buddy called and said "I got a 6mm barrel here if you want it" to which my answers was a no hesitation F* YES! Let's Go!
I initially was planning on re-barreling an existing 6CM I have but I've changed up the plan and am thinking I'm going to use this stick for a fresh build for another PRS style gun on a custom action, hosted by either an MDT or MPA chassis.

My question is 6GT or 6 Dasher? And why one or the other?
Is there a clear advantage to one over the other? Or does it boil down to simple personal preference.
I understand the GT will run a bit faster velocity, and the Dasher seems from a few things I've read a little more forgiving as far as reloading.
I've done a fair bit of reading on other threads, here, elsewhere, etc. and it seems both have very good pros, and cons, and their respective followings from those that shoot them. Recoil management for either? Both seem to get about the same feedback reports.
I do not have brass or dies for either. So I'm starting from scratch there. Peterson, Lapua, Alpha, Hornady (6gt only) etc. I do have a fair amount of pills. 105's 108's 109's 112's mostly. I know the aforementioned are wildly popular and great choices for PRS style shooting, particularly the Berger 105's and 109's.

For those of you running either the GT or the Dasher, if you were to do it again, would you change anything?
Or does it just boil down to personal choice?

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Dasher, and Dasher again any day.

Lapua, Peterson, Alpha brass, berger 105s/108s/109... DTAC 115s any combo works. Make sure you got .12 FB+ and a .273+ neck. I am also shooting a MODBB barrel hoping to see if I can touch 4k barrel life.

Reactions: MDT_Josh and MDof2
Dasher seems to win a good deal, that said I have no personal experience, but if I built a competition only centerfire it would be a dasher.

“The 6mm Dasher was the most popular cartridge overall among these shooters with 27% of the top-ranked shooters in the PRS & NRL choosing to run that cartridge.”

Reactions: MDof2 and Mk32784
Dasher performs great of you don't get feeding issues and don't mind some fire forming.

Reactions: MDof2

Lapua, Peterson, Alpha brass, berger 105s/108s/109... DTAC 115s any combo works. Make sure you got .12 FB+ and a .273+ neck. I am also shooting a MODBB barrel hoping to see if I can touch 4k barrel life.
(n):ROFLMAO:

I have no experience with the GT but my main match rifle is a Bighorn TL3 in an MPA competition chassis with a Bartlein 6 Dasher barrel. I've shot the Dasher for years and once this barrel is shot out, I'll just get another. I've had no issues with AI mags and spacer kits or the MDT mags. Throw a 105 Hybrid over 31.5 to 32 grains of Varget with 450 primers and go shoot

I was in the same boat. Ended up with a GT and I'm thrilled. Dasher is amazing my only hesitation was seeing so many shooters with feeding issues. My load development was guessing 34g Varget with a 109 .050" off. Shoots lights out with 3-4 SD and 10 ES. Plenty good for PRS style. Not trashing dasher just love my GT

also slightly misleading... last time I checked Lapua doesn't make straight dasher. I'm running GAP (Hornady) with zero issues that being said just picked up 300pcs Alpha OCD. With GT you do have a cheapish option on Hornady brass. Budget still can be a factor for some shooters...

also slightly misleading... last time I checked Lapua doesn't make straight dasher. I'm running GAP (Hornady) with zero issues that being said just picked up 300pcs Alpha OCD. With GT you do have a cheapish option on Hornady brass. Budget still can be a factor for some shooters...

You can pay for hydro formed Lapua, DJ Brass service will turn it around in less then a week.

Reactions: HonkyTonk86
You can pay for hydro formed Lapua, DJ Brass service will turn it around in less then a week.
Thats definitely a good option if you're set on using Lapua but you're looking at $1.60/case +/-. Alpha I just bought was $1.20 and Hornady $0.75

If you have all the reloading equipment and brass already, plus experience, stay with a 6cm. Ease of components.

If you want to be adventurous, 6bra. Less hassles fireforming. Not a fan of the br family of cases, but everyone is suggesting it.

I shoot 6x47 lapua, for the sweet sweet feeding.

Dasher seems to win a good deal, that said I have no personal experience, but if I built a competition only centerfire it would be a dasher.

“The 6mm Dasher was the most popular cartridge overall among these shooters with 27% of the top-ranked shooters in the PRS & NRL choosing to run that cartridge.”
Yeah, in August of 2019.

• Haha
Reactions: MDof2 and iceng
Honestly, flip a coin...both perform.

Perhaps I'm lucky <knock on wood> but I've never had feed issues with my Dasher. Forming brass is easy, any cheap 100-110gr bullet .020" jam over 30gr Varget in Lapua 6BR brass and go shoot. With components being scarce and expensive these days, HLR hydroformed Lapua or Alpha brass if you have a .274ish neck is the way to go. Load development for Dasher is easy - 32.2-32.6gr Varget under a 105-110 class bullet set .020" off the lands.

IMO, what 6GT has going for it is 1. quality factory ammo from Prime, if its ever available again, 2. factory brass from Alpha and Hornady covering budgets and uses, and 3. being the new 6mm "it" chambering. I guess you could also maybe get a fuzz more velocity from 6GT due to a bit more case capacity.

I’ve shot just about every caliber in competition and personally I don’t think *any* of the 6mms have significant advantage one way or another over each other. I can hear the “bUt BaRrEl LiFe” or “bUt I cAn SpOt My ImPaCtS wItH LEsS rEcOiL” comments already, but it’s splitting hairs. If it were me, I’d suggest a “full length” case like a 47 or creedmoor, simply because they feed in every magazine you own. The BR and dasher can be picky, and I don’t think the recoil reduction is *that* significant, especially when running similar velocities. A dasher @ 2950 is actually significantly snappier than a 6x47 @ 3000 due to the huge difference in pressure. I’d also say a dasher running 2900s also has no significant barrel life advantage over a 47 running lower pressure with slower powders. If you push a dasher hard you can expect 2000 rounds, and with a 6x47 running low pressure (still faster than a dasher), you can also get 2000. I’ve absolutely murdered a 6x47 barrel with super hot ammo and it still went 1600 before it lost velocity, and it was still shooting 1/2 moa. The inherent accuracy advantage is way overstated (or just false) as well. I’ve had 6 6x47 barrels and not one of them has been difficult to tune, keep in tune, or to compete at the highest level with. Neither of my dasher or br barrels have been any more accurate or require less load development (which is next to zero on all of them), or shown me any reason to use them over anything else.

90% of the comments you’re going to see are regurgitated info from people that don’t *really* know, or info from a dude that has had maybe one barrel that shot great, or people that don’t compete, or otherwise have the experience to really voice a full opinion. Obviously do what makes you happiest, but having gone through the gauntlet myself with lots of time and money and competitions, I don’t see myself doing the BR/Dasher dance ever again for these matches.

I'd just stick with 6CM, at least for the next year or so unless you're already sitting on a stash of components... SRP's and Varget are probably two of the toughest things to find these days. 6CM is a lot easier to live with IMHO.

Besides, depending on your "recipe" and what you load up, 6CM can be very nearly the same recoil-wise and as good or better down range: I run DTAC's at ~2900fps and don't envy the brass and feeding hassles of the shorter 6mm's one bit. I for one feel like the reputation of 6CM being tough to load for is more a myth than a rule, I've never had any issue finding a load.

Last edited:
I shoot 6Bra because I didn’t want to fireform/trim/turn for a dasher (first one was built before there was readily available brass for dasher) and so for this build, I had dies for reloading. I run 105s somewhere around 2950. The feeding trouble seems overstated to me. I have both straight BR and BRA that feed fine in MPA from MDT mags. Pick the one, dasher, BRA, 6CM, 6GT, x47, etc, that has the budget features and parts availability you like and it will work.

I had a 6xc rifle, then I got a dasher rifle. I won’t be getting rid of my dasher. I also went creed over xc on this barrel.
Do both. It’s just one more.

Lte is right, splitting hairs between the 6mils, if I was just handed one of my two 23lb match rifles, dasher or creed without the other there to directly compare, blindly shooting I wouldn’t be able to tell you the difference between them.

Last edited:
There is very little noticeable difference between the common 6mm cartridges. There are some bullets that are easier to keep in tune, but most people are all shooting the same few bullets now in matches.

The difference is in the way people run the cartridges. I have not run every 6mm cartridge out there, but I have run both ends of the spectrum. I have run a 243AI and a 6 Dasher. I run very mild loads in both and get good accuracy and barrel life out of both with very little trouble.

I use a mild charge of varget in the Dasher to get 2800-2850 with 108 Bergers. I run Lapua brass and 450s. There is no load development. I have never shot a group bigger than 1/2 moa with a heavy gun chambered in 6 Dasher.

In 243AI I run H1000 and cci 250 in Peterson brass with 115 DTACs at around 3050 fps. I used to shoot CBI Savage prefits in this caliber. Things were a little finicky in some barrels and not so much in other barrels. As soon as I started using a good gunsmith to chamber my barrels, I have had the same good luck finding loads. Everything will shoot well. Also, with a 19 lb or so gamer rifle with a APA LB gen 3, there is very little difference in the ability to see trace and spot shots between the 2 calibers.

The reality is, a good gunsmith and the right reamer have everything to do with how easy a gun is to load for. With good brass and bullets you are pretty much guaranteed to have an accurate gun. When people say a cartridge is finicky it is usually one of a few problems. They might have a chamber that doesn't match well with their brass and sizing die. The chamber might not be concentric to the bore. They might not be using quality reloading components. They are trying to get 6-284 performance out of a 6 br, or maybe they just can't shoot. If you avoid the above problems, things seem to come together very simply and very reliably regardless of caliber.

Feeding issues in br cartridges ha e been sol ed for the most part. It might take a little work for your particular setup, but it shouldn't be difficult to get it to run 100%.

Pick a cartridge, use quality brass and bullets and a good gunsmith, and the thing will shoot lights out with very little work. That has been my experience.

Feeding issues in br cartridges ha e been sol ed for the most part. It might take a little work for your particular setup, but it shouldn't be difficult to get it to run 100%.

This is exactly why I don't recommend BR's anymore...

Damn, I had a lot of typos in that. I absolutely get it. I don't have a problem tinkering with stuff. I competed for 2 years with a Savage before a career change, and I made it work. (That was a LOT of fucking around to get to work). I get that most people want it to be plug and play. A Dasher was my first custom gun experience. First chamber cut by a gunsmith, so the chamber was very concentric, first cut rifled barrel, first load running Lapua brass, etc. Of course, I thought it was the magic bullet. Then I repeated the experience with 223 and 243AI and realized the real difference was in the machining and the quality of the components and not in the cartridge.

Reactions: iceng
I’ve really only seen and heard of issues when skipping the mag kit or not flaring the lips a smidge just to make it smooth.
With both of those are you still seeing lots of problems?

Reactions: LR1845
Pretty much any given setup requires some fine tuning. Even 308's in proven short actions and high quality mags have feeding issues from time to time. I don't see why that should disqualify a cartridge considering the issue has pretty much been solved with mag kits (unless you have something against mag kits).

I’ve really only seen and heard of issues when skipping the mag kit or not flaring the lips a smidge just to make it smooth.
With both of those are you still seeing lots of problems?

Well when I’m thinking of a newer shooter building his first real match gun, to me the last thing I want to have him do is spend time figuring out how to keep his gun running and not focusing time on practicing, learning wind, etc. Yea, most people eventually figure it out, and with a dasher I’ve actually had decent luck, but I’ve seen a lot people at least have to play with mag / chassis combinations, adjust feed lips, stretch springs, run this mag kit not that mag kit, or no kit at all. The longer cartridges just have less tuning issues in general and are for sure less picky about what action, chassis, or mag they are run in. If there was a significant advantage in the BR cartridge, then maybe it would be worth the potential headache, but for me I don’t see it, at least not for a newer shooter, and in reality even a seasoned one unless it just makes them feel like they are gaining an edge.

Reactions: 308pirate
Honestly, flip a coin...both perform.

Perhaps I'm lucky <knock on wood> but I've never had feed issues with my Dasher. Forming brass is easy, any cheap 100-110gr bullet .020" jam over 30gr Varget in Lapua 6BR brass and go shoot. With components being scarce and expensive these days, HLR hydroformed Lapua or Alpha brass if you have a .274ish neck is the way to go. Load development for Dasher is easy - 32.2-32.6gr Varget under a 105-110 class bullet set .020" off the lands.

IMO, what 6GT has going for it is 1. quality factory ammo from Prime, if its ever available again, 2. factory brass from Alpha and Hornady covering budgets and uses, and 3. being the new 6mm "it" chambering. I guess you could also maybe get a fuzz more velocity from 6GT due to a bit more case capacity.
I run the 6 GT and love it. It's really a great middle ground in the 6mm family, but it has some issues.

1. Prime needs to take another look at their offering. I had my barrel spun up by Bartlein using a reamer to George's spec with .120 freebore like he uses in most of the GT's. I think Prime designed their stuff for the .170 freebore reamer, because I had to seat their stuff back over 20 thousandths just to not be jamming in the lands. Even after seating it back, performance was meh. I believe they're using StaBall powder (I pulled one and it was a ball powder but I forgot to weigh it). I think the bullet weight sweet spot for the cartridge is somewhere in the 105-110gr range, but Prime is running 115gr Nosler RDF's. Unless they change something, their ammo just won't work in a large amount of rifles chambered in GT. I haven't run Clay's yet but it looks more promising, but expensive.

2. The original Alpha brass was way too soft. The OCD case head is a huge improvement, but it hasn't really been available since the OCD head was released unless you get lucky with GAP. Hornady brass produces amazingly good results even though the quality leaves a bit to be desired in my opinion. In the brass that I have, the flash holes and primer pockets are visibly not concentric. Just goes to show how forgiving the cartridge is.

3. As far as it being the new hotness, we'll see how it ages. It's still going through some growing pains. The bore size matters a lot and many don't think to check for that when ordering a barrel (.236 is too tight, .237 is what's needed).

Reactions: rkansas
Well when I’m thinking of a newer shooter building his first real match gun, to me the last thing I want to have him do is spend time figuring out how to keep his gun running and not focusing time on practicing, learning wind, etc. Yea, most people eventually figure it out, and with a dasher I’ve actually had decent luck, but I’ve seen a lot people at least have to play with mag / chassis combinations, adjust feed lips, stretch springs, run this mag kit not that mag kit, or no kit at all. The longer cartridges just have less tuning issues in general and are for sure less picky about what action, chassis, or mag they are run in. If there was a significant advantage in the BR cartridge, then maybe it would be worth the potential headache, but for me I don’t see it, at least not for a newer shooter, and in reality even a seasoned one unless it just makes them feel like they are gaining an edge.
Ballisticly, there's not an advantage. Having brass and barrels last forever is a huge benefit though.

I am having my first PRS gun built by Brian Allen and I decided on going with 6GT!

Appreciate all the input thus far. Good food for thought, and some great feedback.
What is the general consensus on barrel life from 6 Dasher to 6GT? From what I've read, they are both about the same (relatively speaking) so long as you're running them on the ragged edge of velocities and torturing the throats. 2500 rounds wouldn't be unheard of.

I love the few people here who have run BR variants and rag on them. So cool. You are my friends.

I ran a 243ai to 2992 rounds and to PRS pro rank in Aus. Currently it's a x47. If I was to do it again, and I've told many this, I'd do a 6xc. I think it's a great balance of performance, design, ease of components, FEEDING, etc.

Look at fclass. If one guy wins with a whatever-brand barrel, people will gravitate towards it and think it's the best way to win. If someone has a crazy new cartridge and wins, people think that must be the secret sauce to success.

Fclass is dominated by a few common components because of this reason.

If you put a 7-08 into Vibbert, Satterlee, Reid, Milkovich, or Velayo's paws (or others at the pointy end), they would still beat a solid margin of the field. I'd expect some people to theorise "they can see bullet trace / spot shots easier / the spotter is 100% going to call impact/hit because of more energy" etc..

Turns out they couldn't get components, barrel supplier screwed up their order with another customer buy mistake, or any number of issues. Etc. They ran it for fun (this is all in theory, this scenario hasn't happened).

Stop worrying about what the cool kids run, work out what is best for YOU, play the game YOU want and have fun.

</End_monolog>

Appreciate all the input thus far. Good food for thought, and some great feedback.
What is the general consensus on barrel life from 6 Dasher to 6GT? From what I've read, they are both about the same (relatively speaking) so long as you're running them on the ragged edge of velocities and torturing the throats. 2500 rounds wouldn't be unheard of.
Between the two you won't see any appreciable difference.

I love the few people here who have run BR variants and rag on them. So cool. You are my friends.

I ran a 243ai to 2992 rounds and to PRS pro rank in Aus. Currently it's a x47. If I was to do it again, and I've told many this, I'd do a 6xc. I think it's a great balance of performance, design, ease of components, FEEDING, etc.

Look at fclass. If one guy wins with a whatever-brand barrel, people will gravitate towards it and think it's the best way to win. If someone has a crazy new cartridge and wins, people think that must be the secret sauce to success.

If you put a 7-08 into Vibbert, Satterlee, Reid, Milkovich, or Velayo's paws (or others at the pointy end), they would still beat a solid margin of the field. I'd expect some people to theorise "they can see bullet trace / spot shots easier / the spotter is 100% going to call impact/hit because of more energy" etc..

Turns out they couldn't get components, barrel supplier screwed up their order with another customer buy mistake, or any number of issues. Etc. They ran it for fun (this is all in theory, this scenario hasn't happened).

Stop worrying about what the cool kids run, work out what is best for YOU, play the game YOU want and have fun.

</End_monolog>
To a certain extent, yes. Skill will beat out a majority of the field. Jim See is kicking plenty of ass in Open class with a 308. That being said, when the top 5-10 guys are separated by single digits, cartridge advantages come into play. Once you're down in the territory of a 6mm or 6.5mm, you're mostly finding a balance of longevity vs performance. If guys really wanted the best ballistics possible and still low recoil, they'd probably run a hot 6 creed or 6 comp match. The problem with doing that is barrel life and burning more powder (with some exceptions: I've seen a dude with 3k rounds on a comp match because he's running H1000, well over 40gr of it) Even the 6XC, you're getting less life than a BR variant. Sure, you'll always get the dudes that think caliber is gonna win them trophies. It's not, but I think you're missing the real balancing act a lot of guys are doing with their PRS cartridges, and that's "how much performance can I give up in favor of barrel life and powder efficiency but still be competitive?"

You got it perfectly. The top end guys and gals will always be top end, because they know how to win and squeeze every last drop of performance from a system to get the W.

Yes the top end players benefit from smaller cartridge 6mm.

One thing I did the other year was slow my projectile down, and specifically on a larger case. This resulted in 2 benefits (for me, everyone is different).

Full size case NEVER had a feeding issue, not once, in 3000 rounds. The other one was a calculated pressure of about 52kpsi. I could achieve the same velocity as a 6br, for any given projectile, for less pressure. (I did have a screwed up mag once, which was easy fixed, but that is worth mentioning that I got miss feed because I couldn't seat the damn mag coz it was bent).

I've stepped down to the x47 as I wanted to go as small as I could, and still have 100% reliable feeding on all magazines. I only run 105gr @ 2861fps. Yes I can run at 3074fps on the 108gr (26" tube, 7 twist), but the juice isn't worth the squeeze to me. The same way running a 6br,a,X,dasher,etc isn't worth it. Running it flat out with high pressure. This is a polar opposite experiment of what I just ran, purely to get some data on the setup.

I still think new(ish) shooters should go a 6cm.

Unless you have ean excessive amount of spare powder to burn, fireforming cases seems like a bad idea in this current climate.

Admittedly my tolerance of case prep runs out at trimming brass which influences my opinion.

ive ran at least 3 barrels of the following
6CM
6BRX
6BR
6BRA
personally ill take a BRA over any of these and my second choice would be the BR for barrel life and ease of load development.
my last BRA went 2175 rounds before i pulled it my buddy shooting the same combo went 2400,the last 6BR barrel was at 2900 when i pulled it and still shooting right around a 1/2".

i may try a 6GT at some point if and when things come back but the BRA will match(or very very close)a 6GT with 3g+ or - less powder.
as far as feed issues go i know a couple of guys running the MDT mags with no feed issues i perfer the AICS style mags with the primal rights mag kits with the altus plus 2 bases.

what ever 6MM you decide to run youll be happy with.

Unless you have ean excessive amount of spare powder to burn, fireforming cases seems like a bad idea in this current climate.

Admittedly my tolerance of case prep runs out at trimming brass which influences my opinion.

29.5g of varget a CCI450 or FED205M and a 105g what ever bullet .020ish off the lands is a match winning fire forming load but i get what your saying about components now days.

Just sayin -

You can fireform with almost any powder, it might take some research and experimentation but that's an option.
You can also fireform during practice, heck even during a match.

In case some don't understand this, the 40 degree shoulders don't require trimming much after the initial one. With 6mmFatRat, 223AI, and 20-221AI, all I've done after the initial trim was chamfer the edges of the lips inside and out after SS media wet cleaning which I don't do until after 4 or so firings. If you clean otherwise it could go more than twice that amount.

I shoot 6mmBR now and it does great out to 800Y or so with 105's going 2850 fps, but my 6x47L did noticeably better at longer distances, I had 105's going 3172 fps and could see the difference in wind drift by how much easier it was to hit steel. Of course there's no debate which barrel lasts longer with those two loads which is why I switched. If money was no object I'da stayed with 6x47L and blown through barrels.
I still have most of my Lapua 6x47L brass, most of which has 34 firings on it, tough stuff!
Also 41.8gr powder vs 29.2gr.
I just shoot my 6.5 Saum if I shoot farther out nowadays. .71BC at 3000 fps.

ive ran at least 3 barrels of the following
6CM
6BRX
6BR
6BRA
personally ill take a BRA over any of these and my second choice would be the BR for barrel life and ease of load development.
Interesting you didn't like the brx. I'm the opposite. I will say not a huge experience with it, not shot one out. Or any br style case actually.

Reactions: Night Train Lane

</End_monolog>

That level of mental retardation is not unique in f class or prs. IPSC is the same exact way.

• Haha
Reactions: iceng and LR1845
Interesting you didn't like the brx. I'm the opposite. I will say not a huge experience with it, not shot one out. Or any br style case actually.

the BRX is a great cartridge, easy to load for and very accurate what i did not like was the short neck. i like the long neck of the BR BRA so that i can run a lot of free bore with a big jump to the lands and be out of the neck shoulder junction but still have enough neck to run close if needed.

Having been in competitive* shooting for a while, my experience is, if a fellow is new to the game and has lots to learn about how to do/be happily competitive, the last thing that fellow needs to do is add complexity to the equation. PRS is a shooting competition, not a building competition. In otherwords, buy a well proven rifle cartridge combination. (Off the shelf but add reloading, if it allows more practice and the fellow is already set up and understands how). Learn what it takes to get to the level a fellow or lady is happy with, then, if one wants to jump off into space and build something which might help them achieve a higher level, go for it.

Otherwise, learning how to shoot, learning how to read conditions, learning how to reload successfully, and fighting a rifle that does not work is a total disaster waiting to happen. (Read lots and lots of dollars down the drain)

*Competitive in IHMSA not PRS, but hitting steel is the point in both

That's a fantastic response. It is a shooting comp. Im a gunsmith, so I experiment and play with things, LOTS. I sponsor shooters and I experiment to help them have the best gear they need / want to go a task.

All said and done, it's about shooting. However at the pointy end, you do need some decent gear to keep you there.

I have multiple 6xc, 6BR . I love them . The bug to do a new build bit me and I researched the Dasher and 6 Bra . The dasher has a short neck compared to the Bra . I ordered my own reamers to the specks I wanted for the 6 Bra ,and 6 xc ,2 new cut rifling barrels . My gunsmith chambered both barrels for the same action, now I have a switch barrel rig . I am so happy I did the 6 Bra , shooting lights out with Lapua brass Same speed as my buddies dasher with 1 grain less powder . H 4895 or Varget . I have not had any feeding issues, MDT mags . This is my favourite go to cartridge these days . Build what ever one your pulled to but I don’t fallow the crowds . Cheers