• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Let's build a rifle...

taulce1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2018
Louisville, KY
I've gotten to the point in my life where I've become somewhat successful in my career. I couldn't have done it without my father. He busted his ass in a factory to make it all possible. To say thank you, I want to present him with a custom hunting rifle. In fact, a matching set of hunting rifles. One for him and one for myself. He doesn't know about this so I can't really ask for his input but I think I have a general idea of what I want.

Going with GAP. I've dealt with them in the past on a few projects and I've always been pleased with the results. I want a lightweight build. Sub 10 lbs. Need a traditional hunters stock, manners preferably. Carbon fiber barrel. Maybe a TriggerTech Diamond trigger with the Pro Curved trigger. Not sure what poundage to go with but thinking about 2 lbs. At the moment I'm thinking 6.5 PRC. Thinking either the anTi X or Deviant Hunter (big weight difference here). Open to suggestions.

Any input is welcome. Not sure which stock to go with and I'm sure I'll have more questions later on. Thanks gents.

i am a fan of the EH1, 2, and 6. Id go with a mini chasis and AI or accurate mags will make loading and unloading easy. BDL style is probably lighter but more of a pain to unload. you dont talk about what you are hunting for, but 6.5 prc should be more than adequate. Defiance makes a great action. just recommend a coating, maybe DLC, to get rid of shine. given the current ammo problem maybe ask to order a case or more of ammo from GAP when you commit to build the rifles.

I would go with the anTI X for the weight savings. You will have to give a bit more information on what you are hunting for cartridge recommendations. I would also recommend the trigger tech special for a hunting build over the diamond. Main difference is cost and adjustment range, and if you are planning on a 2 lb trigger anyhow the special would save a good bit of money. Manners is a great pick for a lightweight setup, just make sure you get one of the elite hunters for weight savings.

I went through this just 4 years ago for my dad. My brothers and I set dad up for a Moose hunt in Newfoundland.
And this brings me to the only comment I would have on your build. IF you ever wanted to hunt the Elk, Moose or Caribou up North, the Canadian Government had a law nothing under .30 caliber. Someone in office has no clue that ballistics are better than that. But the fact is they would NOT allow us to hunt or even continue planning to hunt without getting dad a .30 cal. .30-06 Winchester model 70 was the donner rifle I built for him.

Since you said you will likely have GAP build the rifles why not just build one of their Xtreme Hunters but ask them to use a #4 contour Bart CF barrel instead of a #3 SS barrel? That gets you pretty much what you described in your post.

Should be a nice rifle when all done.

A lot of you have asked what I'm hunting. 99% of the time it will be Whitetail deer here in Central Kentucky. That said, I do want to go on an Elk Hunt and possibly Moose in the future. I doubt we ever go up into Canada but that is something I should consider so thank you for that. A lot of good suggestions here and I really appreciate them.

Can someone chime in on the difference between the anTi X and the Hunter action I posted originally? I know weight is a big difference but what else? Is one more rigid? Performance differences? Thank you.

A lot of you have asked what I'm hunting. 99% of the time it will be Whitetail deer here in Central Kentucky. That said, I do want to go on an Elk Hunt and possibly Moose in the future. I doubt we ever go up into Canada but that is something I should consider so thank you for that. A lot of good suggestions here and I really appreciate them.

Can someone chime in on the difference between the anTi X and the Hunter action I posted originally? I know weight is a big difference but what else? Is one more rigid? Performance differences? Thank you.
The anti X has more material removed in the scope rail and other areas, so it will be marginally less rigid. Not enough to matter for a hunting setup. Other than that decently similar setup, and the open too will make the anti X easier to load if you go with a blind magazine setup. I agree with skipping the mini chassis setup, not what you are looking for in a hunting rifle.

If going with Defiance you might also consider the Rebel, if you order it right its pretty lightweight and makes for a fine hunting action IMHO.

Just a bit over 25 ozs for a short action so not a lot more than the AnTi.
414456554.jpg

I'd go with a blind magazine and a hinged floorplate like others have mentioned since it's a hunting rifle, makes for a clean setup.

As far as caliber is concerned, 6.5 prc is a plenty potent long range hunting cartridge for anything walking north America, a bit overkill for whitetail but they'll definitely succumb to it.

All those actions will make a great hunting rifle and I'd probably go with the an-ti and some hawkins hybrid rings to keep weight down and easy access to the port.

+1 on the manners and getting an mlok rail flushed in. Same with triggertech and a CF barrel.

Keep your glass light, you should only need about 8 mils (25 moa) of elevation adjustment between a hundred yard zero and far enough to hit MEV for most loads.

Not sure why a whitetail deer rifle should be light for most folks.

My father is getting up in age and it would be a lot easier for him to handle. Long treks with a heavy rifle aren't much fun.

I'm all for a ground-up build, but just another idea if you're not already 100% sold on the idea. A Winchester Pre-64 Supergrade in 30-06 or something similar, topped with a premium piece of glass, would make for an awfully nice gift. Either way, you're doing a very kind thing and I'm sure the rifle will be really great!

Also, while not the lightest action, the Mausingfield would be a cool action to build on. have fun with the build