• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lets talk 223 magazines ......

Marksman

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2008
Michigan
Why is it that most (if not all) of the gun manufactures choose to build 223 magazines right at the max COL? Considering most of these 223 rifles are built on standard short actions, why not use that whole space to allow for long seating bullets? I realize the need for COL magazines on rifles like the AR which were built for the cartridge, but on a Rem 700, Savage, or Tikka, what are you gaining by not making the magazine longer?

I'm looking at this Tikka T3 magazine in my hand and wondering why I couldn't do some modifications to get a long seated bullets to feed correctly.

Re: Lets talk 223 magazines ......

They have to assume that people are using common factory ammo, maybe loaded for 1-12 twist and small bullets. Make those rounds start too far back in the mag and they pop up too soon, get all jammed up and you have feeding issues. They have to use the industry average, that's for sure. AI 223 mags are pretty long and allow for 80 grain bullets if I recall.

The AI Mags will let you load them long, much longer than the standard 2.260" ocl that is max in most AR mags.

AICS accept rounds up to 2.550"+.020" of clearance.

Savage short action staggerfeed (4.27") 223 blind magazines accept ~2.40" OAL IIRC; not sure about newer centerfeed (4.41") actions but I wouldn't be surprised if it were a bit longer.

I actually had to switch back to a 308 front baffle(Savage) instead of the lengthened 223 baffle otherwise there wouldn't be enough rearward travel to strip off the next round. These AIs are something else. I'm hoping it doesn't cause issues with shorter, factory loaded ammo.

Anyone using HS Precision DBM in your .223??

Looks like I need to order a AICS conversion for my Tikka then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like I need to order a AICS conversion for my Tikka then. </div></div>

CDI is the go to, but with that combo it takes some work on the action as well as the stock

CDI will do the work for reasonable, or if you want to give it a try they will send some instructions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like I need to order a AICS conversion for my Tikka then. </div></div>

CDI is the go to, but with that combo it takes some work on the action as well as the stock

CDI will do the work for reasonable, or if you want to give it a try they will send some instructions </div></div>
I've heard it's possible to do work on the magazines instead of the action as well. I might go that route instead.

Get a CDI bottom metal. They will accept AICS 223 mags. If the standard length of the AICS mags is not enough, they can be modified for even more length. I have a 223Ai that is throated for the 90 grain Bergers at 2.6". They mag feed like a dream from modified AICS mags. Factory Black Hills 77 grain ammo feeds just as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BESETbyAPOSTATES</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a CDI bottom metal. They will accept AICS 223 mags. If the standard length of the AICS mags is not enough, they can be modified for even more length. I have a 223Ai that is throated for the 90 grain Bergers at 2.6". They mag feed like a dream from modified AICS mags. Factory Black Hills 77 grain ammo feeds just as well. </div></div>

2.6? Holy moly those Bergers are long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like I need to order a AICS conversion for my Tikka then. </div></div>

CDI will do the work for reasonable, or if you want to give it a try they will send some instructions </div></div>
I've heard it's possible to do work on the magazines instead of the action as well. I might go that route instead. </div></div>

I use the asic magazines in other rifles and did not want to F them up too much, I ended up taking some off the action and some off the mags

Remington,Ruger,Kimber,Winchester OEM boxes mod easily for increased COAL and Tikka is shit,no matter how you slice it.

I can like HS in 223.

I have a Mossberg MVP and I have had/having problems with feed ( bullets to long ) I was wondering if I could fit a AI mag to my gun or mod a new shoe in my P-Mag and make it work properly any ideas would be helpful

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like I need to order a AICS conversion for my Tikka then. </div></div>

I've heard it's possible to do work on the magazines instead of the action as well. I might go that route instead.

Kyle at xlr modifies the AI 223 mags for the tikka action. He had to for me.

I actually had to switch back to a 308 front baffle(Savage) instead of the lengthened 223 baffle otherwise there wouldn't be enough rearward travel to strip off the next round. These AIs are something else. I'm hoping it doesn't cause issues with shorter, factory loaded ammo.

This^^^^^

Only difference was that I ground the baffle down (easy to do on a bench grinder).