• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lets talk about protruding discs

huntfish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2010
I'm an otherwise healthy 40 year old with a moderate protusion of the L4 L5 disc. Real common injury. Mine involved trying to pull a big whitetail onto the bed of a golf cart. Brilliant....

The doctor and PTs that I've used insist that I should never, ever, ever, ever squat or deadlift again. But I'm not sure how to strengthen your lower back without deadlifting and therefore prevent further aggrivation. And there are few exercises that get overall strength training done like these two exercises.

Has anyone here ever, under a PTs supervision, used deadlifting and squatting safely and helpfully, after a similiar injury?

I took a piece of advice some years ago and have stuck to it.....

"When it comes to your back, only and Neuro Surgeon will do!"

Then May/10 an Orthopedic said "Hey I've some good news and some bad news..... Good.... I can do your Op'..... Bad.... You'll spend 60% of the rest of your life on wheels. Your left leg will wither and you'll get a floppy paddle foot" ...... "Oh and you'll be medically retired at the age of 43"
I refused his offer of the knife, lost 2.5 stone of weight (pain's an bloody good diet) and when I could bare to stand for more then 20mins I flew to a Neuro Surgical friend and got fixed PROPERLY!!

Long story short..... Get a good Neuro to look at you before doing anything.... You were born with a pair of bollocks, but only one back so look after the danm thing!!

And Guess what...... I can drag deer out, and should I wish...... squat again.

Last edited:
I would think doing core workouts would help with the lower back without dead lifting. Oddly enought a lot of people use Pilates for core strength and range of motion issues. Sometimes cortizone injections can help get you to a point of relief also. Probably best to follow doctors advice or get a second opinion.

Most neurosurgeons would likely recommend that no one squat or deadlift heavy regardless of the current health of the spine. Both of these movements demand perfect form, every time, and cause a huge increase in intradiscal pressures when performed incorrectly, furthering the protrusion. Core, core, core strengthening. Good luck and take care of that back.

Mike
PS. I am not a surgeon, rather an outpatient PT, and rehab spine patients (pre and post surgically) on a daily basis.

Yoga will help you strengthen your core as well as increasing your range of motion I have 2 ruptured disc and have been able to avoid surgery with injections and traction keeping your core strong and your body weight under control will help a lot avoid surgery and to much heavy lifting

I went through this almost 1 year ago. I did competitive powerlifting for years and while deadlifting one day with a weight that wasn't even half of my 1 rep max, I herniated L5. I spent 2 weeks on my back and the doctors told me basically the same thing: No squats, no deadlifts. Which was torturous news all on its own because those are my 2 favorite movements. Luckily, like you, I was otherwise in good shape. My physical therapist said that I needed to drop a little weight, which wasn't a big deal because I wouldn't be competing any more, so I just knocked off the extra 20 pounds that kept me in the weight class that I lifted in.
For the first time in my life I followed a Doctors orders to the letter and was lucky enough to skip the surgery and injections and have now recovered as fully as one could hope to. Most of my physical therapy revolved around core strengthening (as others have mentioned). She told me right from the start, that the stronger your core is, the less work your back has to do. Oddly enough, the one thing I could do that she said would give me problems was running. For some reason, I could run a few miles and the pain would disappear for hours like it never happened. Obviously this isn't going to be the case for everyone, but it worked out that way for me. Now, most days I don't even think about it. Every once in a while I feel it if I pick up a weight the wrong way, but stretching usually corrects it. I started squatting again a few months ago, but rather than full squats, I generally do box squats or exertion squats because its easier to keep my form correct. But I always have my lifting partner watch in case I start to lean forward too much. As far as deadlifting goes, I've done it some with very light weight and always with a belt, but I'd rather not take a chance of going through all that again. I may not be so lucky next time. I have a very physically demanding job and back surgery would almost certainly be a game ender.
The only other advice I can offer is to stay hydrated. I learned that discs can dehydrate just like the rest of you, and if that happens, they get inflamed. I found that out the hard way. Thats about the only real trouble I've had out of it lately after a half marathon.
Good luck and I hope you have the kind of success with recovery that I have.