• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Let's talk Peq15s

The thought that anyone responsible/legal to own a firearm should also be able to use any laser device they wish is a little baffling to me. Anyone else ever see a POG platoon in the field right after they get issued lasers like everyone else? Looks like a fucking rave party. Undisciplined swine...

Me personally, I'd like to see Class 3 opened up to civilian licensing, similar to HAM licenses, upon proper training. I don't know if there's any movement at all in this direction, but if the dealers would stand up the movement I would certainly support it. I just don't have the time nor the background to do that myself but I would not only kick in cash but would write my legislators as well. I'm sure I'm far from alone in that mindset. Imagine the sales potential guys!

Class 4? Hell no. That's where the real danger exists and I honestly don't see any place for Class 4 targeting type lasers outside of .mil usage on certified and controlled range or battlefield.

because at carbine ranges, the 300/600mW LED illum beam from the civilian models puts out a lot more light and is nicer and cleaner than the 30mW laser illum from your death star.

Are we talking illumination beams here or the actual IR laser/pointer? If you want a badass 300/600mW LED you clearly stated that you can get one. I think the debate is about the power of the actual IR laser/pointer. Kind of a dumb thing to regulate in my opinion. If you can purchase a Barrett M82 I don't see why "the man" should be restricting IR lasers. I feel like the IR laser stuff is a lot like "silencers"….if people get ahold of them everyone is going to be assassinating everyone and chaos will ensue.

I agree. Theirs lots of good info own this site, I am glad a friend told me about this place! I fully admit that the low side of the peq-15 and peq-2 IR laser is enough. Most guys never turn the laser up past the min. setting so the 0.7 mw of the Dbal D2 is fine, and I agree with the people who say we don't need more. Also the class 3 red visible laser, which most never use much. But the illuminator is a differnet story. The illuminator own the peq-2 and peq-15 ,own low is about equal of the Dbal-D2 on high. I admit that 80% of the time it ok. But I would buy a car, gun, house, or other device that only gave me 80% of what I need. IF someone ONLY made a product that gave us a 0.7mw laser and a low class 3 illuminator that us civilians could purchase. WE can currently buy Dbal I2 that has a visable red class 3 laser but no illuminator!! So saying class 3 of any sort is to dangerous for us mere mortals= non LEO or military doesn't hold water. Some say why not buy the Ital class 1 and a Tnvc Torch?? Don't get me wrong the Torch is a fine product and with a Ital class 1 you would only be out say 800 bucks half that of a Dbal D2. But why should we have to buy 2 products when 1 will get the job done? The peq-2 is a fine laser. It maybe larger than the peq-15 and not have the visible laser , but it is a great piece of kit to me. What if some one could build a product like it, with a class 1 IR laser and a low to medium Illumanator that cant be focus down to a beam smaller than say that of the Torch? It would be safer, although not 100% eye safe. For a price range of a used peq-2, say 800-1000 dollar range? I too would invest money in some thing like this. Im not opposed to a stamp or license either, hell im waiting patiently own 1 right now anyway= form 4. Hopefully some day we will have a better selection of lasers but for now I respectfully disagree with those that say= Dbal-D2 is enough and that I don't need any thing more!!!!!

I agree. Theirs lots of good info own this site, I am glad a friend told me about this place! I fully admit that the low side of the peq-15 and peq-2 IR laser is enough. Most guys never turn the laser up past the min. setting so the 0.7 mw of the Dbal D2 is fine, and I agree with the people who say we don't need more. Also the class 3 red visible laser, which most never use much. But the illuminator is a differnet story. The illuminator own the peq-2 and peq-15 ,own low is about equal of the Dbal-D2 on high. I admit that 80% of the time it ok. But I would buy a car, gun, house, or other device that only gave me 80% of what I need. IF someone ONLY made a product that gave us a 0.7mw laser and a low class 3 illuminator that us civilians could purchase. WE can currently buy Dbal I2 that has a visable red class 3 laser but no illuminator!! So saying class 3 of any sort is to dangerous for us mere mortals= non LEO or military doesn't hold water. Some say why not buy the Ital class 1 and a Tnvc Torch?? Don't get me wrong the Torch is a fine product and with a Ital class 1 you would only be out say 800 bucks half that of a Dbal D2. But why should we have to buy 2 products when 1 will get the job done? The peq-2 is a fine laser. It maybe larger than the peq-15 and not have the visible laser , but it is a great piece of kit to me. What if some one could build a product like it, with a class 1 IR laser and a low to medium Illumanator that cant be focus down to a beam smaller than say that of the Torch? It would be safer, although not 100% eye safe. For a price range of a used peq-2, say 800-1000 dollar range? I too would invest money in some thing like this. Im not opposed to a stamp or license either, hell im waiting patiently own 1 right now anyway= form 4. Hopefully some day we will have a better selection of lasers but for now I respectfully disagree with those that say= Dbal-D2 is enough and that I don't need any thing more!!!!!

Posts makes sense, and I feel the biggest issue for some who want to remain as stealthy as they can is the visible red signature glow from all IR LED's. That is the big benefit of the laser based systems.

Also, IMHO the DBAL-D2 on high is much more powerful than the PEQ-2 on "lo" IR Lum, but with a Vis. signature for the D2.

Vic

Steeltraps, I also wanted to say you may have a selection sooner than you think. Stand by.....;)

Thanks Vic ! The comparison I made was a side to side test at 200 yards with the peq-2 and the Dbal D2 on a tree line. The peq-2 was on low and the Dbal d2 was on high, or that is what my friends said. My assumsion was the Dbal d2 on high was not as bright as the peq-2. I know that you know your stuff so I believe you 100% if you say" the dbal d2 on high is brighter than the peq-2 on low" I only mean from my point of observation from what I saw. I can always use another laser though. What might the Future price on selection be?:cool:

Thanks Vic ! The comparison I made was a side to side test at 200 yards with the peq-2 and the Dbal D2 on a tree line. The peq-2 was on low and the Dbal d2 was on high, or that is what my friends said. My assumsion was the Dbal d2 on high was not as bright as the peq-2. I know that you know your stuff so I believe you 100% if you say" the dbal d2 on high is brighter than the peq-2 on low" I only mean from my point of observation from what I saw. I can always use another laser though. What might the Future price on selection be?:cool:

Strange Brother, but that D2 booms out to 800 yards on it's high setting.

Other selection forthcoming in a few, but not as bright as the D2 but virtually no Vis. signature and a tad bit battle proven over the years you may like.

Vic

Atpial sounds good! Friends Dbal D2 had camera film filter in it, maybe that's the reason for "they look the same at 200 yards" on low verses high. A man can never have to many lasers. I will have to get one when they come out. Thanks Vic!

Atpial sounds good! Friends Dbal D2 had camera film filter in it, maybe that's the reason for "they look the same at 200 yards" on low verses high. A man can never have to many lasers. I will have to get one when they come out. Thanks Vic!

My guess that camera film did the short range trick on ya. :D

Vic

Now that we have all the pros in one room, I have a question. Is "peq" an acronym for something?

PEQ stands for

P - Portable (by man)
E - Laser
Q - Special or Combination

And I would bet just whole bunch of money that hardly any one knows what PVS stands for? Here I will save the "I commandos" the trouble of goggling it.

PVS

P - Portable (by man)
V - Visual, Visible Light
S - Detecting, Range and Bearing, Search

I opened this thread thinking it was going to be informative. Like others on here I've got lots of time behind both the 2 & 15. It seems someone hasn't seen how this all works. We limit distribution and technologies throughout the world so we can go in at night and take or eliminate. My impression is you want to come in and take or eliminate because you have an opinion. Lucky for me we live in a free country, so I just went and bought another one.

Here's the response from L3. Peter you were on the right track but far from "I commando" status! Lol
"Kelly,
Here is your answer:
AN = JETDS system
P =pack or portable
E = Nupac
Q = Special or combination of purposes

*Best regards,
Brenda Smith
Contracts Coordinator
L-3 Communications Corporation
Warrior Systems Division / Londonderry NH
603.551.6037*/*[email protected]"

Peter, we will give you a chance to redeem yourself by telling us what "JETDS " and "Nupac" stand for. You have 24 hours to accept this challenge. HAHA!