• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leup Mk4 on a Barrett 50 M99

madppcs

Private
Minuteman
  • Oct 23, 2011
    Forest hill, Louisiana
    Hey guys, I just bought a Barrett M99 and have an extra MK4 4.5-14. I bought the Barrett Zero Gap rings. I see many Barretts with the same scope that Im gonna use, but I think that in the near future I could use one with a higher magnification. I like the 5-25 range, but I dont want to drop 2k on another Nightforce.

WHat do you guys recommend?

Works great,
    Leupold Mk4, I have ERT 6.5-20x, and March 3-24x, Vortex RazorII 4.5-27x.

Hey guys, I just bought a Barrett M99 and have an extra MK4 4.5-14. I bought the Barrett Zero Gap rings. I see many Barretts with the same scope that Im gonna use, but I think that in the near future I could use one with a higher magnification. I like the 5-25 range, but I dont want to drop 2k on another Nightforce.

WHat do you guys recommend?

Forgot to add that I have a private 1500yd range and I will be regularly taking it out that far. I shoot very often, and this is my first venture into the 50BMG world as a civilian. Im very familiar with and M82A1 and the M2.
    Im pretty confident the MK4 can handle the abuse, Im just wondering if I can spot for myself with a 14 power scope? Obviously an impact on steel is easily detectable, but its the misses that land in the thick brush and doesnt show splash that is hard to make corrections on

I get to shoot at a 1500 yard area several times a year. The quick answer is you run with what you have and it works well and spotting shouldn't be an issue; however, what would be nice, in this situation, is that you have someone on a spotting scope that can help you spot misses and hits as that is as important as you pulling the trigger.

There are nicer optics out there over the Leupold MK4, and when the mirage really starts to kick up or hazy days, you will find yourself lacking. Some of the newer optics, such as a Nightforce ATACR series, or some other optics, can really help in those not so perfect days to shoot.

The mark 4s are nice scopes.
    Very durable.
    1500 yards is probably the very limits of x14 though.
    The rule of thumb I've always heard is about x1 mag per 100 yards.

Unless it's paper targets.
    Then more mag the better :)

I thought they had a 16x Mk 4 on them ?

I watched someone on YT today and they were putting bullets a good inch deep on pieces of Railroad tracks on the surface the Train runs on, So your metal targets are going to have to be seriously thick,

good luck and have fun.

Lol yea. I have to re-steel my entire range. But itll be 50bmg rated AR500.
    Ill roll with the Mk4 4-14 until I see a good deal on a used NF or higher mag MK4

Reactions: MilDot1960
    Lol yea. I have to re-steel my entire range. But itll be 50bmg rated AR500.
    Ill roll with the Mk4 4-14 until I see a good deal on a used NF or higher mag MK4
    Here is the video, Gotta love that 50Cal Horsepower, LOL.

Yeah true, But it is a very impressive piece of kit, Seems like there is not much in this world that a 50 Cal can't deal with. (y)

Reactions: madppcs
    Well, I do have some API-T rounds, but I know better than to use those on anything I wish to keep lol. Once I get home Ill dope the regular FMJs out to 1500, then keep a separate dope chart for the API-T rounds
    And yes, it seems this 50 is an awesome tool for the toolbox

Reactions: MilDot1960