• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Leupold 1.1-8 CQBSS review

Re: Leupold 1.1-8 CQBSS review

I really like this Mark 8 it just seems to high a price but for my use the price might have to be absorbed.. Mike @CST did a review of this scope and i think it was the S&B 1-8x prototype. I'm not sure might have been the PR V8. Anyway, this is to Mike @CST have you given any more thought to this scope verses the other two i reference here? This is a great thread! Hope everyone can add more to it. If you had one of these three which one would you take into combat or hand to your son and let him take it into combat assuming 1-8x was the range needed for most missions?

Everyone is still waiting for an actual PR 1-8 and a S&B 1-8 only the Leupold has been out in shooters hands for any length of time and the CQBSS with the horus and red donut is like a unicorn, I have not been able to see one. The PR 1.1-8 went to redesign and is now I believe a true 1-8, the S&B is due to be released in the Spring with an updated reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter 25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like this Mark 8 it just seems to high a price but for my use the price might have to be absorbed.. Mike @CST did a review of this scope and i think it was the S&B 1-8x prototype. I'm not sure might have been the PR V8. Anyway, this is to Mike @CST have you given any more thought to this scope verses the other two i reference here? This is a great thread! Hope everyone can add more to it. If you had one of these three which one would you take into combat or hand to your son and let him take it into combat assuming 1-8x was the range needed for most missions?</div></div>

I certainly havent vested an emotional stake in Leupold tactical optics, but we evaluate a lot of S&B products and I have to say bring it to the 1.1-8 S&B; I'm confident that the Mk8 will hold it's own. I've never seen better glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone is still waiting for an actual PR 1-8 and a S&B 1-8 only the Leupold has been out in shooters hands for any length of time and the CQBSS with the horus and red donut is like a unicorn, I have not been able to see one. The PR 1.1-8 went to redesign and is now I believe a true 1-8, the S&B is due to be released in the Spring with an updated reticle.</div></div>

It's not a scope for everyone, like a Porsche 911 GT3 RS isnt a car for everyone.. but they are out there. If you want one, Leupold can get you one.

When it all shakes down I think the S&B 1-8 is going to be the winner. I think a lot of the issues that have been highlighted with the prototype will be addressed. Leupold simply doesn't have the heritage to be asking the $3-4k price point. If you go to the secondhand board on this forum, a number of CQBSSs have already come for the sale, in one instance the seller took what I'm guessing to be a $700 - 800 haircut and took months to sell. People aren't prepared to pay that sort of money for a Leupold but they will for an S&B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When it all shakes down I think the S&B 1-8 is going to be the winner. I think a lot of the issues that have been highlighted with the prototype will be addressed. Leupold simply doesn't have the heritage to be asking the $3-4k price point. If you go to the secondhand board on this forum, a number of CQBSSs have already come for the sale, in one instance the seller took what I'm guessing to be a $700 - 800 haircut and took months to sell. People aren't prepared to pay that sort of money for a Leupold but they will for an S&B.</div></div>

Using the car analogy again here, BMW and Porsche fans said the same thing about the Z06 vette and Boss 302 mustang at first. Perceptions can change but she is a big slow ship to turn.

I'd be delighted for anyone on this board to come shoot at BOTW in Austin or at LRA in Shitport when I'm back in town for thanksgiving. This is some amazing glass, and it's built like a tank. I'm trying to justify keeping it.. ;p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When it all shakes down I think the S&B 1-8 is going to be the winner. I think a lot of the issues that have been highlighted with the prototype will be addressed. Leupold simply doesn't have the heritage to be asking the $3-4k price point. If you go to the secondhand board on this forum, a number of CQBSSs have already come for the sale, in one instance the seller took what I'm guessing to be a $700 - 800 haircut and took months to sell. People aren't
prepared to pay that sort of money for a Leupold but they will for an S&B. </div></div>

I think the price of the Leupold will come down when it actually gets some competition, until then the leupold rules because it it out. Hopefully the prices on those three will settle somewhere in the 2500 to 2800 range. And from what Lowlight said on his visit to Leupold, they are listening to the Mil and Civilian shooters and they are stepping up their operations.

I have 3-gun Nation going on the DVR while I do some work on the computer and the tip this week was about snapping your eyes from one target to another. What does this have to do with the CQBSS?

They were shooting SCARs with CQBSSs scopes, but they were using 45 degree offset iron back-up sights instead of the CQBSS. Now maybe they were Surefire BUIS, and as a sponsor that is why they used them- but having 45 offset sights for CQB on a rifle with a CQBSS scope is just admitting that it ain't right up close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FromMyColdDeadHa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 3-gun Nation going on the DVR while I do some work on the computer and the tip this week was about snapping your eyes from one target to another. What does this have to do with the CQBSS?

They were shooting SCARs with CQBSSs scopes, but they were using 45 degree offset iron back-up sights instead of the CQBSS. Now maybe they were Surefire BUIS, and as a sponsor that is why they used them- but having 45 offset sights for CQB on a rifle with a CQBSS scope is just admitting that it ain't right up close. </div></div>

You can use this up close, however if I were in 3-gun I may still find a side-mounted red-dot a faster transition than moving the rear power setting knob. Different solutions work for different objectives.. but what thrills me so much about this is the fact that I can go from red-dot to 1000 yards with a flick of my wrist and at 1000 yards the glass is second to none I've seen.. and I've seen a LOT. ;p

Bare in mind that running a secondary optic puts you in open class

From my admittedly limited time (thus far) with the CQBSS is that it was very fast up close and unless you are at the Taran Butler or Jerry Miculek level I dont think the second it takes to go from 1x to 8x is going to make or break you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well that simplifies things for me. If I can not use the scope at 1x with no illumination, it is not the right scope for me.

Thanks for the answer GlockandRoll. </div></div>

Based on the pics posted, even at 1x with no illumination you still have the heavy horizontal bars and a small black circle. that should be more than enough to cover you for the rest of a stage (or whatever use) until you can get a new battery in.

Nice but still too expensive for me.

ccoker brings up a good point and yeah, it's 'spensive.. but damn, I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it! I've never used an optic before that gives me and other shooters raging nerd-ons!

Awesome review. On my GAS list... anyone want to lend me 3,000?