• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold 5HD vs XTRIII vs ?

Clint H

Living on a wing and a prayer
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2022
CO
Hi guys,
I'm wrapping up an accurized small-frame AR build and trying to finalize a decision on the optic. Looking for something in the MPVO category (~3-18x)

After a lot of reading, I've been considering a Leupold 5HD 3.6-18 or the Burris XTRIII. The summary seems to be FOV and eyebox go to the XTRIII, while Leupold wins in glass quality and size/weight. Any other reasons to pick one over the other in 2023? Illumination would be a bonus, but not a necessity for me.

Other options I've weighed are picking up a used Razor gen iii, a Stiener t6xi 2.5-15, or an Athlon. The Ziess S3 sales caught my attention this week, too, but not sure I want to go as big as a 4-25.

Anything else I should be looking at before hiting the order button?

What is the platform for the scope?
Small-frame AR

What cartridge are you shooting?

What is your intended use for the scope?
Range/PRS/scoped carbine course

What type of conditions will you typically shoot in?
Daylight

What are the typical distances you intend to shoot?
300-600yds.

Are there any specific specifications you would like?
3-18x or reasonably similar size/weight class

Razor, Steiner, Zeiss, XTR-III…In no particular order. Not a fan of Leupy…Overpriced for what you get.

The XTR3 reticle is relatively hard to pick-up on low mag compared to some other options. Not the end of the world, but illumination would be preferred in my opinion if you are looking to use that scope on low mag.

The Mark 5 is a good option. One of the biggest drawbacks is the additional price for illumination. I liked mine, it was light-ish weight, reticle was useable throughout the range (PR-1), mechanics, controls, and optics were all fine.

A 4-16x42 ATACR is begging to be put on that set-up. They regularly sell for pretty cheap in the PX. That's what I currently have on a precision ar-15. I had a ZCO420 previously on it, which is a superior scope IMO, but the ATACR is more suited for that set-up in my brain.

Depending on budget, the March dual focal plane 1.5-15 could be a consideration, although there's been some negative reports surrounding optical performance on higher mag.

Between those two MK5 all day. There’s nothing else in that price range that really compares to it as long as you don’t need illumination. IMO the illumination puts it into a price range where I’d buy other scopes first. Its biggest drawback IMO is reticles. The TMR and PR1 you can pick up on lower mags in lower light ok, illumination would still be nice but it’s not entirely necessary on these. On the T3 and H59 it’s absolutely needed. If they put the PR2 in the 3.6-18 it would be a great option without the illumination. I just got a PR1 and it’s nice but it’d be nicer if it was a tree.

I’m considering one of those S3’s at that price. I’ve only had one short experience with one and thought it was nice but not a $2K+ optic. Like the illuminated MK5 I felt it’s priced out of its league. $1725 on the other hand it’s probably a decent option if it’s reliable.

I would not put a G3 razor on a small frame AR if you’re talking about the 6-36, that’s huge and heavy. If you’re talking the 1-10 there’s better options IMO and I wouldn’t want a LPVO with a little objective for mostly shooting 300-600 yards. Even if you’re only going to run the higher mag optics at 10x it’s still going to be much nicer to use.

I wouldn’t take a Steiner or Burris if they were free, they don’t have a great track record for reliability compared to other options. I would also pass on the Athlon (assuming you’re talking Cronus) as well, they not bad but I don’t think they’re one of the best options in the price range.

I would also consider Bushnell DMR3 and NF NX8 or ATACR. The 4-16x42 ATACR is a phenomenal DMR optic and you can get them around $2K used.

I have two Mark 5 3.6x18x44 PR-1 illuminated on AR-15s. They are wonderful. I also have two Zeiss S3 4x25x50's on bolt rifles. The Mark 5s are lightweight, so are great on the AR-15s. A Snipers hide vendor has 25% off sale on Zeiss, That price makes the Zeiss almost unbeatable in my opinion.

Reactions: simonp
Thanks for all the write-ups and recommendations, guys.

Reading through it, sounds like I can't really go wrong with any of them. 😄 I need to see if someplace local has each in-stock to try out back-to back.

Reactions: JS8588
Another vote for the Mk5, I have a couple of them on gassers, love them!

200w.gif

😄 I didn't see the Strykers were finally out. That's tempting, too.

Reactions: JS8588
I just got a XTR3i 3.3-18 in and it’s a really surprising scope. For the price you can get these things at, it is a ton of scope for the money, and very well regarded for durability. The US made version with the thicker SCR reticle is available from EuroOptic for $850’ish. The illum version fixes the quirks of the US model but I’d consider either one.

Reactions: FuhQ
XTR3 is a whole lot of optic for the price and really should be considered. I have also been reading good things about the XTR3 Pro but don't have direct knowledge.

I'm also looking for a MPVO/ cross over scope.

Really tough pic between the Mk5 3.6-18 and the ATACR 4-16. I seem to remember liking the over all package of the mk5 with it weight and form factor being attractive. I wasn't shopping for a scope at the time but wish I would have looked harder at the reticle.

Is the PR-1 usable as a point and shoot reticle at the bottom end of the magnification or is it just hard to see all together?

It seems the closest to my minox with an MR4, that's gotta be my favorite reticle to date.

Still need hands on with the ATACR 4-16.

I'm also looking for a MPVO/ cross over scope.

Really tough pic between the Mk5 3.6-18 and the ATACR 4-16. I seem to remember liking the over all package of the mk5 with it weight and form factor being attractive. I wasn't shopping for a scope at the time but wish I would have looked harder at the reticle.

Is the PR-1 usable as a point and shoot reticle at the bottom end of the magnification or is it just hard to see all together?

It seems the closest to my minox with an MR4, that's gotta be my favorite reticle to date.

Still need hands on with the ATACR 4-16.
I could use my PR-1 as a duplex on low mag.

Reactions: Jackomason
Hi guys,
I'm wrapping up an accurized small-frame AR build and trying to finalize a decision on the optic. Looking for something in the MPVO category (~3-18x)

After a lot of reading, I've been considering a Leupold 5HD 3.6-18 or the Burris XTRIII. The summary seems to be FOV and eyebox go to the XTRIII, while Leupold wins in glass quality and size/weight. Any other reasons to pick one over the other in 2023? Illumination would be a bonus, but not a necessity for me.

Other options I've weighed are picking up a used Razor gen iii, a Stiener t6xi 2.5-15, or an Athlon. The Ziess S3 sales caught my attention this week, too, but not sure I want to go as big as a 4-25.

Anything else I should be looking at before hiting the order button?

What is the platform for the scope?
Small-frame AR

What cartridge are you shooting?

What is your intended use for the scope?
Range/PRS/scoped carbine course

What type of conditions will you typically shoot in?
Daylight

What are the typical distances you intend to shoot?
300-600yds.

Are there any specific specifications you would like?
3-18x or reasonably similar size/weight class
Why on Earth would you even choose a Zeiss LRP S3 when the Tract Toric ELR version is way cheaper even at $1494 regular price and even has a better warranty compared to Zeiss. December 1st 10% off sale brings it down to roughly $1350 with free shipping to your door and no tax unless you're in New York. Buy the optional $40 50mm Elevate mirage cap specifically made for the 4-25x50 Tract Toric ELR and $70 Tebebraex lens covers sold under their accessories page.

I'm most definitely buying this scope and these specific accessories come December 1st wkem they have their sale. Next closest competitor is the Zeiss LRP S3 version for around $600-$800 more money depending on the sale prices. The Zeiss doesn't even include a sunshade that must be purchased separately.

Athlons all on sale at EuroOptic and Scopelist the Ares ETR is at the cheapest I've seen at $699 but don't know if it's going to go even lower on Black Friday. I chose the Element Optics Titan 3-18x50 due to it's class leading 150MOA of total elevation travel and at mid to low $500 is a good deal.

PM me if you want to get hooked up with a legit dealer for the best possible prices for Arken, Athlon and Element Optics no tax unless you live in AR.

Why on Earth would you even choose a Zeiss LRP S3 when the Tract Toric ELR version is way cheaper even at $1494 regular price and even has a better warranty compared to Zeiss. December 1st 10% off sale brings it down to roughly $1350 with free shipping to your door and no tax unless you're in New York. Buy the optional $40 50mm Elevate mirage cap specifically made for the 4-25x50 Tract Toric ELR and $70 Tebebraex lens covers sold under their accessories page.

I'm most definitely buying this scope and these specific accessories come December 1st wkem they have their sale. Next closest competitor is the Zeiss LRP S3 version for around $600-$800 more money depending on the sale prices. The Zeiss doesn't even include a sunshade that must be purchased separately.

Athlons all on sale at EuroOptic and Scopelist the Ares ETR is at the cheapest I've seen at $699 but don't know if it's going to go even lower on Black Friday. I chose the Element Optics Titan 3-18x50 due to it's class leading 150MOA of total elevation travel and at mid to low $500 is a good deal.

PM me if you want to get hooked up with a legit dealer for the best possible prices for Arken, Athlon and Element Optics no tax unless you live in AR.

You do realize that just because they’re both the same magnification range and they’re both made by the same facility that they’re are two different manufacturers designs, right?

They are not the same optic and once again you’re here making foolish claims about something you know nothing about. You’ll buy one of these and pound your chest forever like you do with you Athlon garbage saying it’s the same as the S3 which you’ll have zero experience with.

Just recently you were shit talking the tract claiming it tunneled and this and that and others chimed in that actually owned them saying otherwise. Now you’re going to buy one at double the price of your athlon that’s just as good as everything else? 😂

You do realize that just because they’re both the same magnification range and they’re both made by the same facility that they’re are two different manufacturers designs, right?

They are not the same optic and once again you’re here making foolish claims about something you know nothing about. You’ll buy one of these and pound your chest forever like you do with you Athlon garbage saying it’s the same as the S3 which you’ll have zero experience with.

Just recently you were shit talking the tract claiming it tunneled and this and that and others chimed in that actually owned them saying otherwise. Now you’re going to buy one at double the price of your athlon that’s just as good as everything else? 😂
Shit talking about their 4-20x50 models which I can arrest that the much cheaper Chinesium commie made Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 is better. I'm no fanboy of one particular brand but only certain models of certain brands with proven good warranty and customer service. Mostly all brands have their dogs within their lineups which I wouldn't recommend buying.

I have both and prefer the Leupold. To my eyes there is not enough difference in the glass and just prefer the Leupold when I am behind it, also on a 223 bolt gun btw.
Mine are the 5x25 and 5.5x30 so the smaller ones might be different.