• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Bashing??

Re: Leupold Bashing??

I have owned Leupold scopes since I was 13 years old, that will be 30 years in December. I still own the first one and it has seen some rough use, still never a problem. I could not always afford Leupold and that gave me a very firm repect for Leupold quality. I am sure there are other high quality scopes available today that rival Leupold for less money. There are also scopes that have all those bells and whistles that cost a damn site more than Leupold that really offer nothing over Leupold beyond bells and whistles. I have sent one scope back to Leupold in 30 years for a problem. I can't count the scopes from other manufacturers that I have simply thrown in the trash or gave away.
Leupold should actually be flattered. People are actually mad because Leupold will not listen to what they want in a scope. People are mad because Leupold didn't come out with the same stuff everyone else came out with when they wanted. So you are mad because you can't buy what you want from Leupold which ultimately means you desire Leupold products and quality but they will not cater to your every little buttons and knobs whim.
I find all of this hilarious as hell. I thought Lowlight told you guys how great Leupold is about a month ago. Oh but you prefer remembering his bashing of Leupold BEFORE they invited him for cookies and Kool-Aid.
I will continue to be blissfully retarded and buy Leupold when my pocketbook allows.

I own six luepold scopes for my hunting rifles & a mk4 on my 5r. I have never had a problem with any of these scopes. I did have a objective lense on my 20x50 compact spotting scope fracture internally. I hand delivered the spotting scope to luepold while I was on vacation in oregon. About a week or so later I recieved it back with details on everything that was done to it. I couldnt be happier with the quality & customer service I have received from luepold. It sounds like that isnt always the case with everyone. I do believe that luepolds pricing structure on there high end scopes is getting way out of line.

You know thinking how few Leupolds I have seen broken over the years/three decades of hard use, I decided to talk with a long time Leupold guy I trust. He told me Leupold has a defect return rate 7 out of every 100,000 scopes manufactured since 1988. I am going to bet thats better than most if not all the rest of the scope companies.

Seems darn good to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillPrudden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tactical -

I think it is possible that an honest 99% of the people who own scopes in the Leupold and below price range have no clue how to evaluate and test them, greatly helping that 7 / 100,000 figure.

To put it another way, nobody takes their Corolla back becuase it has a buzz in the dashboard... Not so with BMWs.

I write this as somebody who got a ton of faithful and effective service out of my Leupolds - not a basher, just a realist.

Bill </div></div>

Good point. There are A LOT of people who mount their scope, zero the rifle and then never shoot it again unless they are taking a shot while hunting. I see this at work every day. As a general rule, people don't shoot their guns.

I'm not bashing Leupold, just stating facts. I had a MK4 6.5-20x50 went bad. First shot from the gun would be on the POA and second shot would be 1/2 MOA right and the third shot would mark the first or second. After checking everything but the scope I did swap scopes and the gun stacked shot on top of shot. After determining the scope was the problem, I looked at it very close and the reticle was canted too. I contacted Leupold, sent it back and they fixed it and I sold it. On the up side Leupold does fix a broken scope with no questions ask. I now own all Schmidt & Benders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know thinking how few Leupolds I have seen broken over the years/three decades of hard use, I decided to talk with a long time Leupold guy I trust. He told me Leupold has a defect return rate 7 out of every 100,000 scopes manufactured since 1988. I am going to bet thats better than most if not all the rest of the scope companies.

Seems darn good to me. </div></div>

I wouldnt buy a used car from that guy you trust so well!

I've owned Leupold scopes since 1980, and currently have several Mark 4s. Have never had an issue with any of them, but after buying a USO, I don't think I'll be going back to Leupold.

I recently set up a rifle for my son-in-law, and ordered a 10X SS from SWFA. This "cheap" little scope will give my 10X Mark 4 a run for the money. The turrets are a little "clickier" on my Leupold, but the glass sure isn't any better (at 4X the price).

Leupold makes a good scope, but there are certainly better scopes out there for the money (and for less, in many cases).

After trying the S&B PMII I am spoiled and the mark 4s just do not cut the mustard for me anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know thinking how few Leupolds I have seen broken over the years/three decades of hard use, I decided to talk with a long time Leupold guy I trust. He told me Leupold has a defect return rate 7 out of every 100,000 scopes manufactured since 1988. I am going to bet thats better than most if not all the rest of the scope companies.

I am a happy Leupold owner, and even I have a hard time believing those numbers.

that 99% number i'll wager is per year. think about it if in 10 years 10% get returned really that aint too bad. then after that people assume old scope no point. so if the scopes out for the last 30 years........ it could have a 30% malfunction rate by now, or it could be helping the current production averages my a large margin.... the second is much more likely they are still averaging in 30 year old scopes to inflate their return denominator.

Most people spit numbers out about products. Leupold is not a bad scope. I would say more people in America own Leupold than other scope brands.

I would buy a Leupold today with confidence.

The real problem everybody is an expert in glass and opinions.

Simply over priced, to sum it up. My buddy used to swear by them until a NF dealer shut him up. I still can't believe they want $4K for that 1.1-8, that is retarded.....

IMO, Bushnell, Nikon and Burris are better for the money and those are what I compare leupold to. NF, USO, S&B are way above those.

Leupold has seen to go the way of many companies. Their older products are high quality, their newer ones seem to not share that lineage. From my own experience, I have only older ones from 15 to over 20 years ago and I dont have any problems with them.

Their lack of commitment to updated reticle designs and not engineering products to newer market demands tells me they are stuck in their own "loop". It would be nice to see them come out on top again. They have the resources to do it, they just dont seem to have the management vision to make it happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkstar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leupold has seen to go the way of many companies. Their older products are high quality, their newer ones seem to not share that lineage. From my own experience, I have only older ones from 15 to over 20 years ago and I dont have any problems with them.

Their lack of commitment to updated reticle designs and not engineering products to newer market demands tells me they are stuck in their own "loop". It would be nice to see them come out on top again. They have the resources to do it, they just dont seem to have the management vision to make it happen.</div></div>

I agree 100%, my older Leupolds are rock solid but anything I have owned in the last 5 years has been subpar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Shitty glass clarity.
<span style="font-weight: bold">2. Eye relief changes with magnification sumpin fierce. </span>
3. Illum reticle switch won't stay OFF necessitating multiple spare batteries in the pack.
4. Open center on the TMR reticle SUCKS!
5. Did I mention shitty glass clarity. No? Shit glass clarity!

</div></div>

Every scope I own does this. </div></div>

Mine doesn't. The eybox gets a little restrictive at Max mag, (25), but the eye relief doesn't change. Back the mag off to 23 and it opens back up.

I am pulling for Leupold, they are a great American company with a lot of history, I would like to see them do well. As of right now though, I can't recommend them. They are getting better, but not equal to the rest of the market yet.

I would place similarly setup SS as slightly better in terms of build, features and overall experience, at way less money.

I mean really, S&B is getting ready to release a 3-20 power range scope and the best Leupy can come up with is 6.5-20 or 8.5-25?

Honestly, a lot of the bashing is bandwagon jumping...but not without some merit.

Guys,

I have been talking to Leupold since I was invited out to their factory for a tour.

As I stated at the time, things are changing and changing for the better in the tactical division. It is now a fully funded entity over there and not an after thought as it was for many years.

The 1-8X is excellent, the XM2010 also I find much better than any previous models and they are not stopping there. New scopes to compete with everything you seeing coming out of Europe are being looked at and I suspect this up coming SHOT Show we will see more models.

Was there a competition and quality gap, well everyone seems to agree there was, but they have since moved to remedy that and I for one am highly encouraged by everything I have seen so far. I truly like the scopes I have been working with and feel they are move not only in the right direction for Leupold but one any company would be happy to produce.

It's only been a year or two since the new Tactical Division was fired up, so give them a chance to work, I know from what I have been hearing the community will not be disappointed.

Well I was talked into buying one Leupold and it left a sour taste in my mouth so to speak. When I had my 300 weatherby built the smith talked me into the MK4 4.5-14x40. While the optics were acceptable and the reticle was not canted. I still ended up sending it back for repair in less then 100 rounds. The CS I received was good (problem fixed and fast turn around). But simple fact of the matter was that I basically had to get all the internals replaced in that short of time. This was unacceptable and I lost confidence in my equipment. Thus I solid the scope and have not purchased another Leupold product since.

I also hold to the simple facts that Leupold spend many years not listening to customers and refusing to offer the innovations that they had been asking for. While at the same time increasing the price of their products. Why it took such a capable company this many years of offer a FFP optic with matching turrets and reticle, while it competition did this and more, is beyond me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why it took such a capable company this many years of offer a FFP optic with matching turrets and reticle, while it competition did this and more, is beyond me.</div></div>

Clearly.

Presumably it is quite disappointing to you that they are taking steps to address the issues as well, as you may eventually have to find some other bitch to bore us all with.

Frank is all this crap within your rules? I mean debating issues with kit is helpful but " 10 years ago I heard it was shite" isn't adding anything to my life

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chanonry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why it took such a capable company this many years of offer a FFP optic with matching turrets and reticle, while it competition did this and more, is beyond me.</div></div>

Clearly.

Presumably it is quite disappointing to you that they are taking steps to address the issues as well, as you may eventually have to find some other bitch to bore us all with.

Frank is all this crap within your rules? I mean debating issues with kit is helpful but " 10 years ago I heard it was shite" isn't adding anything to my life </div></div>

No I am glad that they are finally trying to correct mistakes of the past however in my mind it is to little to late. But my statement is the truth and I'm sorry that you find it boring. Also nowhere in my post did I say anything about the distant past or things that I heard. Everything I posted was first hand knowledge and experience. So I don't know where your comment about 10 year old hearsay comes from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am pulling for Leupold, they are a great American company with a lot of history, I would like to see them do well. As of right now though, I can't recommend them. They are getting better, but not equal to the rest of the market yet.
</div></div>

Their new hunting scopes are good for the money tactical stuff not so much. Thing is tactical market is pretty small, hunting and gov't contracts are big so it's no surprise to me that they don't try to seriously compete with the other tactical brands out there. Besides the tactical market is absolutely flooded with good buys right now so it's not like we're hurting for scope options here...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Shitty glass clarity.
<span style="font-weight: bold">2. Eye relief changes with magnification sumpin fierce. </span>
3. Illum reticle switch won't stay OFF necessitating multiple spare batteries in the pack.
4. Open center on the TMR reticle SUCKS!
5. Did I mention shitty glass clarity. No? Shit glass clarity!

</div></div>

Every scope I own does this. </div></div>

Mine doesn't. The eybox gets a little restrictive at Max mag, (25), but the eye relief doesn't change. Back the mag off to 23 and it opens back up.

I would place similarly setup SS as slightly better in terms of build, features and overall experience, at way less money.

I mean really, S&B is getting ready to release a 3-20 power range scope and the best Leupy can come up with is 6.5-20 or 8.5-25?

Honestly, a lot of the bashing is bandwagon jumping...but not without some merit. </div></div>

To me the irony is that right when they step up their game and offer some better scopes, the price jumps through the roof and now they cost MORE than even S&B. At that price point why would anyone buy a Leupold over S&B?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoveSPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know thinking how few Leupolds I have seen broken over the years/three decades of hard use, I decided to talk with a long time Leupold guy I trust. He told me Leupold has a defect return rate 7 out of every 100,000 scopes manufactured since 1988. I am going to bet thats better than most if not all the rest of the scope companies.

I wouldnt buy a used car from that guy you trust so well!
</div></div>

Well he has not lied to me, or anyone I know of in the nearly twenty years I have known him. Thats pretty good indicator he is telling the truth here. He says thats the number of problems with new scopes.

Look the scopes are good. No doubt othr scopes have become better than they used to and competition is high these days but just because another company has improved thier game does not mean Leupold has turned to crap. Far from it, they are very good scopes.

As some one has pointed out many dont understand scopes and may have problems they dont see. Thats true but alas I have seen a trend in recent history where guys shoot not so good and blame scopes when what is really needed is a class from a good instructor. That is as common as the Flu these days. That is the odor in the rooom no one evers wants to admit.

This year I have shot Leupold only in Competition and went from a primary scope being a 3500.00 top of the line best glass in world scope to a Leupold fixed 35 Competition Series ( 999.00 retail). I have done OK in most matches, won a few and lost only when I fucked up not the scope. That 35X has been rock solid all year with thousands of rounds under it..

I think that the main problem is that Leupold is just a step above WalMart but they want Neiman Marcus prices. They may have been able to command that price point at one time, but things have changed. Not to mention, that the "new" kids on the block are quickly surpassing them. A great example is General Motors. No one disputes that for many years they dominated the market with a decent product. Good, but not top of the line. They became complacent and look what happened.

well,here is my.02. have owned 4,as i recall. one i bought used at a gun show. varix 3 2.5-8. decided the power ring was a bit tight and sent it back. they couldn't fix it. sent me a brand new VX3 2.5-8. i can't say that my small sample of experience is valid,but i have nothing bad to say about their service. to my eyes,which are aged a bunch,the optics seem slightly superior to other scopes i have had. will say that i have no basis of comparison to truely up to date high end scopes. however,i believe every shooter owes them a debt of gratitude for this reason: do you really believe that vortex,burris or any other company would be offering forever type warranties if leupold hadn't pushed them into it with their no question lifetime warranty? if you believe that,contact me re some really great deals on FL real estate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chanonry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Longshot38 said:

So I don't know where your comment about 10 year old hearsay comes from.</div></div>

other posters, not you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chanonry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Clearly.

Frank is all this crap within your rules? I mean debating issues with kit is helpful but " 10 years ago I heard it was shite" isn't adding anything to my life </div></div>

Chanonry,

If this thread is not adding anything to "your life", I suggest you go read something else, or go stroke your Leupold fondly in a dark closet with your ears plugged so the negative waves won't upset your feng shui.

Rather sir, it is you that has added nothing to this topic, other than pissing and moaning about others posts. If you have something good to say about Leupold, or can refute some of the negatives so posted here, please feel free to add to the collective knowledge base.

If not sir, I would humbly suggest you partake of the dialog over at 24 Hour Campfire where the word "Leupold" is still spoken in hushed tones of reverence and the mythical worship of past glories.

I've never owned a Mark IV, but I've owned several of their hunting scopes and have had an incredibly high failure rate. That combined with them being priced much higher than the competition for similar features, along with the issues well known with the Mark IV like the canted reticles have made me not have any desire at all to own one.

That said, the only two things I like about Leupold is their warranty (which other companies now offer just as good of warranties btw), and the fact that they have a great resale value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keyser Söze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are LE/Mil and get the 50% off or whatever it is, the Leupold <span style="font-style: italic">might</span> be a decent deal.

If you are a civilian, Leupolds are a fucking complete ripoff pricewise. There are much better scopes out there for the price Leopold charges. </div></div>

I like Leupolds personally although I've looked through better glass. For me the MK4 has a few pieces in their line up that fill my need. I like them and if I find a scope that has the features I like (TMR and M3 turrets for instance) in a different manufacturer, which I've been looking at the Burris XTR, I'll buy it.

Now to address your quote, I am in the Military and have purchased a Leupold from promotive.com which is the only way to get a Mil or LE discount. And while it was a discount, it was not 50%. Are there better scopes, well you said it yourself.

And as far as I'm concerned, I'm glad Leupold, as well as many other Companies offer a Mil/LE discount. For those out there that think this is BS, join the ranks of us hard working Military Members and LE officers. Those who serve understand this, civilians will most often just complain without understanding, key term there is "most", I know alot of you support us.

I have a Vari-X II 1-4x24 from 1999 sitting on my slug gun that has been beaten to hell and is dented and scratched up, and it is still a solid scope.

A couple years ago, I purchased an UltimateSlam 3-9x40 to replace the Vari-X II. The optical quality in low light was terrible, and the power ring eventually got to the point where it was stuck in place. All I could think of was how big of a P.O.S. scope that was, and how Leupold could actually stick their name on a scope that shitty.

My big beef with Leupold isn't with those scopes though. I have issue with Leupold because my agency thinks that Leupold is still the Cat's Ass of optics. Leupold has conditioned agencies to believe they are the best when they are clearly not. The bean counters up high have been informed of the comparable cost of other optics choices, but they have this belief that because Leupold has the Army contracts, they must be the best. Nevermind that one of the main reasons Leupold has the US Army contracts is because they are one of the only companies that can actually produce the necessary volume of scopes needed by the Army.

Now, what really adds salt to the wound is that Leupold does NOT offer LE pricing for their optics to non-federal employees. Military or Federal LE with huge budget? Oh yeah, 35% off of everything. Local LE who has to buy your own optic for your own rifle because your agency has no funds? Fuck you, pay me (retail price).

What's worse is that Leupold is pricing themselves out of contention. My personal experience with this? I went on the internet to price out a new scope to buy and the 34mm tube Mark4 ER/T 6.5-20x50 scope costs ~$3000. Then I see a Zeiss Hensoldt going for $3100 retail and I go "How in the hell can a Leupold cost as much as a Hensoldt, and be no where near the quality? What the fuck is this horseshit!?"

Leupold charges $1600 for a scope that should cost $1000. They charge $3000 for one that should cost $2000. They don't offer illumination with FFP scopes because the Army doesn't need illumination on their scopes.
With their hunting scopes, their competition (Nikon, Bushnell, Burris, Vortex) offer comparable or better scopes for a much lower price.

Leupold has generally good customer service, and that is their saving grace. I had a very interesting conversation with their Tactical division CS in 2010. The jist of it was like this-
"We're great because we have Army contracts. We have considered going to more than a 3x erector, but we see no need to do it. We have considered putting illumination on the FFP scopes, but we see no need for it right now because our FFP scopes are made for military use and civilians will just have to settle with it. We have considered opening up price discounts to LE with the Tactical Division, but the head office is against it."

So you want my personal experience with why I bash Leupold? It's been my experience that Leupold has basically given my demographic the middle finger.

I have 3 mk4 or vx-III lrs
another 5 VX-IIIs
and a 3 vxIIs
and a LPS

Leupold does not have as bright glass as some, and certainly does not lead the way in innovation, but i have found them to be reliable

I own quite a few Leupold VX3's, pistol scopes, & 2 MK4's and have never had a problem with any of them.

also i forgot to say,
my dad had a one of the first leupolds that he bought used when he was a teen.
he still has it, and noticed it was cloudy a couple years ago.

he sent it back ,offering to pay for replacement seals and gas.
he told them he bought it used 50 years ago or so.
they reconditioned it and sent it back quickly, no charge

it is nice to know that they stand behind their stuff if there is a problem. i do remember that if i am considering a more exotic scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most people spit numbers out about products. Leupold is not a bad scope. I would say more people in America own Leupold than other scope brands.</div></div>

If I recall correctly, BSA sells more scopes than any other company.

That being the case, that would demonstrate that MOST people never even know their scope is broken. They check their zero once a year before deer hunting or whatever, shoot an animal at 50 yards and put it back in the gun cabinet. They pull out their rifle to show their friends and the Leupold looks handsome on top with its golden ring.

I own two 6.5-20x Leupolds, an 8.5-25x, a 3.5-10x and a 6-18x40.

Currently the 3.5-10x is at Leupold for repair. Its supposed to take two weeks, but I recently got a letter stating it will make it to the front of the line in 15-18 more working days. I shipped it to them in early August. The problem with the scope was that it wasn't holding zero, it wasn't tracking, and there was something "loose" in it. The ocular lens was also covered in debris. It is a new scope never mounted but 2006 production. Its service life has seen a total of 20 rounds fired from a .35 Whelen. When I sent it in, I put a Zeiss Conquest on the .35 and it seems to be doing well.

Earlier this year, I sent two scopes in for knob jobs and received them back within two weeks.

I like Leupold scopes, and really want to give Leupold my business, but there are better values out there. My experience with Leupolds so far reveals the annoying "lash effect" is true on SF models. I've seen one canted reticle on a personal scope and I've seen a few others. The knobs tend to be moderately good, I especially like their "target" knobs. Despite the one broken scope, the others have seemed to track relatively well. I like that Leupold will customize most scopes. Reticle choices suck. Honestly, their knob selection sucks as well. Glass is mediocre at best---I've seen Bushnells, Nikons, Zeiss, and Sightron outshine the Leupold.

I've stopped buying Leupolds. The hard-use guns get NF now (and godwilling, an S&B next year). The big-game rifles now get Zeiss Conquests. My varmint rifles still wear the Leupolds and I don't plan to sell off the ones I have for the time being---after all, they are shot in the middle of the day from a bench so low-light performance and durability aren't really something that need relied upon.

I hope Leupold starts making scopes across the board that are more competitive. I really would like to support them, but I want to buy what suits my needs best. The VX-7 line, though I'm not sure exactly where it fits in at that price-point, seems to have really good glass---probably better than the Conquests and on par with Swaro A-Line or Z3. The VX-3 and Mark 4 line just really doesn't impress me anymore at their price point.

All of my friends that have looked through the Zeiss Conquests agreed it was a much nicer piece of glass than their Leupolds. The lash effect is gone, the reticles are straight. Knobs don't seem as good and they lack elevation range. Overall, my friends are very impressed with the Conquest line but say they'd never spend that much on scopes. It broke their heart to hear that they are about the same price as a Leupold VX-3.

I own six Leupolds (3 Mk 4s) and have never had any problems, even with those on hunting rifles that have been rode hard and put up wet for decades. But I started looking around a few years back because of the Loopy prices and lack of innovations. After trying a few other brands, most recently a Zeiss and Swarovski, I'm not sure if I'll go back. Maybe if the tactical division gets its act together and they get real on comparative pricing.

I will say the warranty is great. I trashed some expensive porro-prism binocs and let the internals rust solid (entirely my fault) and they repaired the 25 year old binocs free of charge and smiled while they did it.

In a way, they remind me of Nikon vs Canon in the camera world. Nikon owned the lens market back when Canon was still making copiers only. But Nikon sat on its laurels and were slow to innovate. Now Canon owns the market share advantage (although they never quite beat out Nikon is overall quality).

All of mine have been good. The only problem i have had is the power ring on my 4x14x50 vx111 is so hard to turn i nearly need a pair of plier to move it to a higher magnification. The glass is fantastic crystal clear better than my mark 4 go figure.

I have the FFP 6.5X20 Mark 4 on my FN SPR and I absolutely love it. Alot of people hate them, but to each there own. I can buy one a year for 50% off retail so I plan on buying a couple more

I'll give an account of a Conquest. Put 4.5 x 14 on a Rem 700 308. Great glass however anytime that you moved the parallex adjustment, the zero would shift. Put on my Leupold Mk4 and no issues. Go figure. the zeiss glass was great however the zero shift really sucked. I do have to say that I contacted Zeiss and they replaced the scope via next day air. their customer service was top notch.

I'd rather have a 10XSS or 16XSS or 20XSS and use the other $1000 on reloading and shooting... YMMV.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtbutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keyser Söze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are LE/Mil and get the 50% off or whatever it is, the Leupold <span style="font-style: italic">might</span> be a decent deal.

If you are a civilian, Leupolds are a fucking complete ripoff pricewise. There are much better scopes out there for the price Leopold charges. </div></div>

I like Leupolds personally although I've looked through better glass. For me the MK4 has a few pieces in their line up that fill my need. I like them and if I find a scope that has the features I like (TMR and M3 turrets for instance) in a different manufacturer, which I've been looking at the Burris XTR, I'll buy it.

Now to address your quote, I am in the Military and have purchased a Leupold from promotive.com which is the only way to get a Mil or LE discount. And while it was a discount, it was not 50%. Are there better scopes, well you said it yourself.

And as far as I'm concerned, I'm glad Leupold, as well as many other Companies offer a Mil/LE discount. <span style="font-weight: bold">For those out there that think this is BS, join the ranks of us hard working Military Members and LE officers. Those who serve understand this, civilians will most often just complain without understanding, key term there is "most", I know alot of you support us. </span></div></div>

A few days late, but I felt the need to comment on this. Please don't misconstrue my comment. I was in no way whatsoever saying the discount was "BS" or anything of the sort. I was mearly pointing out the fact that Leupold is known for giving a good discount to mil/le. And at the mil/le discount price, as I said, it may be a decent deal depending on the price you get. At retail price, IMO, they are not.

I'd rather have good glass and be able to spend an extra grand on reloading and shooting....but then I woke up and found out I can't have it all...LOL

I grew up using Redfields and Leupolds on my hunting rifles. I've got one Leupold Vari X III that will not track or hold a zero. I've sent it back 2 times for repair and it's on time for the 3 trip back to the factory. In the past year I've changed all my Leupold's over to Vortex and couldn't be happier. A lot more scope for a better price. Better glass, better controls, more reliability, everything.