• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold BX2 tactical binos mini review

jerseymike

NJ LEO
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
Central, NJ
I just picked up a set of new Leupold tactical binoculars for "bird", of the shit species variety watching. I opted for the version with the reticle. Definitely not necessary for my intended purpose, but for a couple bucks more why not.

The reticle is what Leupold calls a MIL-L reticle. Basically a simple L shaped reticle with half mil marks and 2/10 mil marks at 5 and 10 mils. A neat feature is being able to rotate the reticle, which gives you the benefit to range objects that are not perfectly vertical or horizontal. The reticle gives you 40 mils for both horizontal and vertical stadia. The reticle is located on the left eye piece.

While viewing through the binos, I find the reticle to be unobtrusive while easy to read.

Since this is my first pair of Leupold binos im unaware where they are normally produced, but this set is made in Japan. I've only had the chance to use them during the day and the clarity is excellent from edge to edge.

The binos come with a coyote brown padded molle case, malice clips, lens covers for both obj and ocu, a neck strap and cleaning cloth. The padded case is a nice touch, especially if you have a molle pack to attach it to. My only complaint is the shitty lense covers. The objective covers do not stay on. I'm either going to tape them in place or replace them with BC caps.

+1 in my book for these binos.

b879ea10170e37c2eadd60932a00e810.jpg

149e292fa2d999feeb5d65cf7c8d686b.jpg

Eye cups in
45d070fe7698d3c5ec4e31685d1e270d.jpg

Eye cups out
9209270afc18eaa30ddea5d47b57ada8.jpg

Shitty lense covers
91f0eaf30755e2e3d25a483550382da6.jpg

6f7aa948ac172b3f3f1916a7f3eadf6d.jpg

Mounted on a PRS tripod
f41a85d54814f187c7ddd943048232f7.jpg

Crappy cellphone pic of the mil-L reticle
0CA0C938-5EE8-4F3A-A022-61DCFB89FD33-20440-000004DE3C31DB61.jpg

Re: Leupold BX2 tactical binos mini review

Those were the other pair i was considering, would definitely like to see them side by side.

Thanks for the review, I've been interested in these as I've been looking for a 8 or 10x42, with a mil-scale, in this price range. Did you get these from ProMotive?

That was an interesting reticle choice by Leupold, it makes me feel like I should be calling for fire. Their previous tactical 10x50 binos came with a mil-dot or TMR reticle. I was very interested in getting a pair until I read some reviews that stated they were made in China, glad to see these are made in Japan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those were the other pair i was considering, would definitely like to see them side by side. </div></div>

I have been beating the hell out of them for a couple years now. They ride shotgun in my patrol car, so they bake in the sun most of the time. They work great in "city low-light". Well enough I have not really looked much at other binos. However they don't have a reticle in them. I would really like that for intermediate range spotting.

Going to play with them tonight and see how they work out in low light conditions.

That's cool they are made in Japan. I went and looked at a pair at sportsman's warehouse after you made that other thread (that was you wasn't it?) and the cheaper 8X ones they had for 300 weren't bad.

For 2-300 bucks it's hard to beat the vortex roof prism ones though. Too bad they don't seem to make the cheaper 6X ones anymore though I liked those.