• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold CDS Ballistics Dials

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Learned something new I thought I'd share. I knew that Leupold had certain scope models that came with a free customized CDS turret to match your velocity, rifle, environment, etc. ... but I don't own any of those scopes as I've standardized on the Mark-5HD variant (I have 7 of them). But I learned from a buddy that you can special-order a CDS ballistic turret on other scopes ... so I called Leupold Customer Service and the guy took all my rifle, scope, cartridge, environment, etc. data, charged my credit card $80, and a week later I had a turret for my Mark-5HD that was customized to my rifle, cartridge, and environment ... with the turret now in "Yards" instead of "Mils". Pretty cool ... looking forward to getting to the range to test it out, if this crappy weather ever clears up here in Central Oregon.

Anybody here use these CDS turrets from Leopold and can maybe share your results and experiences?

Good to hear - I’m on the hunt for a 77gr 5.56 turret for a 2.5-8x36 Mk4 that I’ve just snagged. I’ll reach out to Leupold directly!

I know this is a bit dated but I just got the mark 5 with CDS and got the CDS for my 300WM dialed in, pretty damn cool. I have the Kestrel 5700 with ballistics which I am setting up now , curious as to how these two coordinates, if at all.

So I started this thread, and am disappointed to have to report that I've pulled the three ballistic dials I got ... and went back to normal turrets. Too many variables needed to be steady to make these work (density altitude, angle, elevation, temperature, velocity, etc. ... and I've just found the Kestrel solutions to be much more accurate for any given firing solution. I still have 'em ... I just don't use 'em.

Reactions: jrassy
    So I started this thread, and am disappointed to have to report that I've pulled the three ballistic dials I got ... and went back to normal turrets. Too many variables needed to be steady to make these work (density altitude, angle, elevation, temperature, velocity, etc. ... and I've just found the Kestrel solutions to be much more accurate for any given firing solution. I still have 'em ... I just don't use 'em.
    Thanks for the update. I think for some hunters, this might work well. Figure most of your shots will come in Nov/Dec, probably within an hour or two of daylight/night, so temperature is somewhat consistent. If you hunt near home most often, you know the elevation. Stick with a load your rifle likes, so you know the fps and BC.

BUT as soon as you start hunting different places or with different loads, all that goes out the window.

I’ve used them to 400 yards with my 260. Dead hog. To 300 on a deer or two, successfully, and about that far on one coyote. Haven’t tried it further than that.

Prior to hunting with the CDS, I tried it at distances out to 400, using paper targets and found the system to be very accurate based on the data I supplied Leupold with. I like it, and will continue to use it on my VX5 3-15.

I hunt in Texas, on our place, so elevation never changes, humidity is rather steady, so maybe that’s why I’ve had success.

Reactions: blue_ridge