• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Firedot Flare Question

LS1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
Anybody here have a leupold firedot?

I've got one with the tmr reticle and i've got a bad flare looking thru the scope from about 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock (approx. 90 degrees)
It is barely noticable on the lowest brightness settings, but gets worse as you turn it up (picture is on highest setting)

Is this normal? Do other illuminated reticle scopes have this issue NF, S&B?
Scope was sent back to leupold and everything was gone thru

Thanks

firedot.jpg

Re: Leupold Firedot Flare Question

You might be seeing something odd because of your eyesight. It is like a red dot in that the way everyone perceives it is different.

If you rotate the optic, does the anomaly rotate with it or does it stay in the same orientation?

I have a VX-R Patrol with the TMR reticle. I get a bit of a flare on the highest 3 or 4 settings (depending on lighting conditions) but frankly, I've never needed the illumination set that high. I don't notice it on any of the lower settings.

How can it be my eyesight when I have a photo of the flare? I see it just like my camera does, see the flare at the top of the tube?

Thanks LC that's the answer I was looking for.

Just picked mine up the 2 days ago and it does the same thing, I havent played with it a lot since I want to mount it first. But just initial going over it does the same thing as yours. What did Leupold say about it?

Leupold guy said engineer told him that was normal. Ticket says they reinstalled reticle, visual inspection 100%, reworked erector system, reworked circuit module, mechanical inspection, complete internal inspection, adjusted parallax.

Can't tell any difference from before sending it in.

I guess if the dot brightness matches the light conditions it would be ok, but if you were using it close in like a red dot your eye would jump to the flare in the tube.

Just wondering if I layed down the cash for a mark 4, S&B or NF if that issue would go away?

Every scope I have had ( NF, Leupold, Premier) will flare if turned up to high. That is why they have an intensity adjustment. When I set up my illumination, I will go out at night and turn the reticle up until it is just usable but not overly bright. Night force scopes do not have an external variable switch which to me is a good thing, you set it up for the conditions you will be using them in and leave it alone. When set up to my liking you cannot even tell the reticle is illuminated until it starts getting dark.

A little illumination goes a long way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How can it be my eyesight when I have a photo of the flare? I see it just like my camera does, see the flare at the top of the tube?</div></div>

Sorry, I thought that by "flare" you meant a streak coming off the dot itself.

I've seen that kind of thing on many optics and it occurs on my Aimpoint ML3. Always considered it to be normal.