• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold HAMR

Bevan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2009
Anyone have/used one? Thoughts?

Silly name aside, a HAMR with no dot sight on top looks like the best option optic for my forthcoming SBR AR 0-~300m hunting build. I like the ruggedness, simplicity, lightweight and compact size of my TA31RCO but:

-reticle looks more precise than ACOG reticles, has a fine .5moa centre dot
-about the lightest option there is for a magnified AR optic
-battery illumination is adjustable so no flare in bright sun like ACOG
-very compact
-precise reticle holdovers suitable for the ranges I'd be hunting to
-enough magnification for the ranges I'd be hunting to
-better eye relief than ACOG

The other option is the Elcan SpectreDR 1/4x which is more capable but a big step up in weight, bulk, and cost, and has a less precise reticle.

Last edited:
I guess I'll be the first. Cool. Will keep y'all posted.

I had one and the eye relief was far better than the ACOG, glass was about the same to me, I had no trouble shooting 12" plates at 300 yards with the reticle. I think they all both have pros and cons so it comes down to what is best for you.

That said I've ordered 2 Vortex 2x5-10x32 and will be replacing them both soon. The vortex with RMR is cheaper and offers a much more versatile optic package.

I have nothing but good to say about mine, very tough and light, and IHMO much better glass and reticle quality then my acog. I would definitely recommend if you are looking for an AR15 optic.

I'm building a 6.5 grendel hunting rifle, 12.5" AR SBR, want it to come in at around 7lbs loaded with 7rd mag, scope and optic, so lighter = better as far as optic, and based on my ACOG experience the HAMR ought to be more than capable to the ranges I want to shoot with such a gun, while being very light and compact. I'll post a review here once I get it (about a month)