• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Lens cover issues...

Martin Taylor

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2011
Marquette, MI
Well, I got a vx-r patrol last week and I have been beyond pleased with the bang for the buck. So today my long awaited package containing my Leupold flip-back lens covers arrived and, like a schoolboy on Christmas morning I tore into the package with a vengeance and installed them. Only problem is they're 180 degrees off...exactly...so, on the gun the eyepiece is fine because that turns for focus but the objective cover hing is pointing exactly down and interferes with my barrel so I cannot install the scope. I mean, after $85 of my hard earned money down the drain for their advertising and 'precision' machining, how hard is it to index the threads the same every time? I think I have a right to be dissattisfied, right? To ice the cake I go to work before they open and come home after they close so I'm resigned to email for now.

So, now that I've had my rant for the year: has anyone else had this problem? Is there a quick fix or am I in for a whole new setup? Because I'm not made of money and I'm not too great with patience either.

I got the scope here on the hide and the covers through swfa, I really don't want to send them back to swfa because they are not at fault and the scope functions fine insofar as I can tell and it was new in the shrink-wrapped sealed box when I got it.

How loose is the cover when timed up top? Does the o-ring put enough pressure to keep it timed? Just wondering as I was looking to buy some, and I like to time the obj to swing to the right not up.

Chalk another one up to my stupidity. You are absoluteyl right sawman: they are adjustable. This is why I can't have nice things, because I don't understand them.

They adjust and they way they adjust is exactly the way you would expect them to if they were designed by a proactive team of engineers expecting stupid people like me to buy them. there is a ridge around in inside which is threaded and then the cover itself is either a press fit over that or also threaded but with a much tighter tolerance, so you screw them in to where you want them, back them out 1/2 turn, rotate the cover (with it open) to where you will want them, then close the cover and it catches the ridges and snugs the whole thing down. (at least that's what happened when I was messing with them)

the bad news is that I found this out after I vibra-tite'ed one on. The good news is that vibra-tite isn't really permanent and I didn't use a whole lot of it so it broke loose pretty easily.

I'm happy and ashamed and maybe this thread can remain so that when someone searches how to adjust Leopold alumina lens covers they don't jump to the same conclusion I did.

So, thanks